Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
Yes, the opportunities to go netless were more than I thought as well. I have a serious problem with mosquitoes - a bite in the right place can cause my entire arm to swell up. I think I'm allergic to skeeters.

However, I placed my faith in science, and science says that mosquitoes are lethargic at 60* F and downright incapacitated at 50 degrees. Here in the Northeast, that's basically 9 months out of the year we have overnight lows of 60 or lower.
Same here. And I practically refuse to hike in anything above 70°, so we're usually talking lows between 0°F and 50°F for me. I still always zip up my bug net on the WBBB, though. Part habit, part feeling like it's blocking some wind.

But I'm really thinking about getting a simpler hammock, or at least tying back my net. Last weekend it was -5° and that was a mistake zipping it up - condensation all over that thing. Getting showered with ice every time I touched it!

I like the WBBB shelf, but I'm sure I can make do without. Not sure what to get yet.