SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images

Top Quilt Foot Box - Sewn or Snaps/Zipper?

I was reading another thread where I saw a comment that implied a snap or zipper enclosed foot box was more useful to ground dwellers than those with a more elevated perspective, to whom a sewn foot box is preferable. Given that the hammock itself provides some amount of structure around the feet, I would have thought it was the other way around. Aren't big feet more likely to stick out from an open foot end on the ground than in a hammock? And, even if the odds are the same, that's no reason to *prefer* a sewn foot box in a hammock.

So, the question weighing heavy on my mind is, is your foot box sewn or not? And, why?
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano
    Tarp
    Trail Heaven
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Hi el gordo
    I am facing a similar question but my understanding is that when your foot box is sewn it will not rip as easily as it would have press buttons. I heard after a while they get pulled out of the fabric and sewn in is better in colder climates as weel.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Jan

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Mine was velcroed, but this winter I'm pulling out the velcro and installing a zipper instead. I hate my socks getting stuck on the velcro and really like having a solid footbox to jam my feet into. I'm also hoping that it does a better job avoiding a draft in the bottom; however I really like that I can unzip, open it up, and just have something I can drape over me when it's really warm out.

I can't speak for using a quilt on the ground, I have no experience at all; I've always used a sleeping bag to avoid drafts (using a quilt in a hammock is much easier to avoid drafts). Maybe in a bivy, or if there were something to keep the quilt edges down on top of the pad, it might work better? I'm not sure.

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Mine is 'home-brew', made using the DIY Gear supply instructions, so it uses 2" wide velcro, and a drawstring channel in the bottom to cinch it closed. The stuff-sack is attached at the foot, much like the ENO style hammocks are, so it hangs in front of the cinched hole, and can be stuffed with a pair of socks, or clothes for the next day to plug the gap. I originally intended to make a sewn footbox, but decided to keep it simple, and stick with the instructions provided. A sewn footbox design would require more grosgrain reinforced seams. Also, because the footbox size isn't ajustable on a sewn model, you would need to make sure you make it the right size for the intended user.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    Mine was velcroed,
    You know, you try to put all the possibilities in the title, and, then, right of the the box, bingo! (In fact, one of my two TQs uses velcro, so I must have left that out because I got tired of typing. ;-) )

Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    this winter I'm pulling out the velcro and installing a zipper instead. I hate my socks getting stuck on the velcro and really like having a solid footbox to jam my feet into.
    Good point.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    I was reading another thread where I saw a comment that implied a snap or zipper enclosed foot box was more useful to ground dwellers than those with a more elevated perspective, to whom a sewn foot box is preferable.
    I can't see how snapped, zippered or velcro'd foot boxes have any utility at all to hammockers - strictly there so you can use the quilt on flat surfaces (or convert to an UQ). Some people say they vent the TQ that way, but I certainly wouldn't want to vent around the coldest part of my body.

I also don't like snaps, zippers or velcro anywhere in my camping gear if I can avoid them. Snaps and zippers fail, and velcro gets gummed up with unidentifiable detritus (probably bellybutton lint).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    I find a sewn footbox more comfortable. It is a bit easier to dry out a flat quilt though.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I have a HG TQ with drawstring & snaps. The snaps are is great shape, but honestly they have been snapped since I bought the TQ and I've never unsnapped them. The snap up around the neck gets snapped & unsnapped a fair amount of time, and I'm very careful with it to prevent tears. I could see that happening easily if one is not careful. I don't think I've ever vented the TQ with the drawstring since I've had it either. I can detect a tiny draft down there when I use it on colder trips. So.....if I was to buy another TQ, I go with a sewn foot box.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    mine is snapped i wish it was sewn. mine comes un snapped at night as i move around

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    With a snap and draw string close footbox, you can, and often will, feel a draft on very cold nights with any sort of wind. The suggestion is to stuff the cinched end with something like a glove or jacket. I actually sewed up a plug that solves that issue for me. (went through a couple prototypes to get that right)

Pay attention to how you sleep, if you move around a lot or are a figure 4 sleeper. Snaps allow for some adjustment there. When I have HG modify my quilt into a sewn footbox, I'm going to ask them to sew up to the first or second snap and that's it, because I am a figure 4 sleeper. Meaning, when I snap the quilt closed using all the snaps, invariably I will unsnap a few as I mover around at night.

I think all of this matters to me most at temps below 40 degrees and in windy conditions. How you setup your under quilt and whether or not you use an under quilt protector do come into play but on sub freezing nights, especially in the teens and below, I make certain the cinched end of the top quilt is sealed with something.

Bottom line, I have snaps and cinched ends on both of my under quilts and would rather have a sewn footbox. Everything I've done since then is just a workaround until I send them back for mods. Hope this helps some.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast