1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

What am I doing wrong?

I've slept in my BB several nights now with varying amounts of sag. Suspension is as close to 30deg as I can tell. The ridgeline is not overly tight. In some cases, I've allowed a bit of slack. No matter how I've hung it, the line between the hammock bed and the footbox becomes an annoyance as my legs cross over the folds. I end up sleeping with my flexair pillow under my legs so I don't feel the pressure (from the gathered material) against my legs. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? Just keep on using the flexair? In every other respect, the BB is great.

If this has been discussed before, please provide a link.

Dan
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I tend to have a problem with that from time to time if I use the footbox. I lay at more of a diagonal and usually put some extra clothes in a stuff sack under my knees. That fixes it for me and is really comfortable then. My DIY doesn't do that..... just the nature of gathered hammocks I reckon.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks, Shug. I noticed in your videos that you sometimes lay opposite of the footbox and use the FB for storage. Is that what you're referring to when you say you "lay at more of a diagonal"?
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    i dont recall where the discussion was, so no link. it was agreed that you just "push" the wrinkles by kicking the footbox outward, wrinkles go away.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    i dont recall where the discussion was, so no link. it was agreed that you just "push" the wrinkles by kicking the footbox outward, wrinkles go away.
    I've actually tried that too ... but once I fall asleep, I guess my legs forget they were suppose to keep pushing and the 'wrinkles' come back, causing me to wake up and find another position ... usually on my side. Of course the flexair pillow under the legs fixes the problem. I suppose I could bring 2 flexairs.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    That only happens to me when I string it too tight. I find that when I set up my WBBB to be the most comfy and the flatest lay the ridge line is saggy, any one know a good way to tighten it without undoing the "factory" knots?
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    That only happens to me when I string it too tight. I find that when I set up my WBBB to be the most comfy and the flatest lay the ridge line is saggy, any one know a good way to tighten it without undoing the "factory" knots?
    Thanks, Beast ... the next time I setup, I'll leave more sag in the ridgeline. The netting might sag too .. but I can probably fix that if the lie of the hammock is improved.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    clothes stuff sack under my right knee fixes it for me...
    My left leg always seems to go every which way anyway!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    I end up sleeping with my flexair pillow under my legs so I don't feel the pressure (from the gathered material) against my legs. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? Just keep on using the flexair? In every other respect, the BB is great.

If this has been discussed before, please provide a link.

Dan
    I think you already named the solution: just keep on using something under your knees. That's about all you can do in my experience. Although a leg pad also helps, if you happen to go that route, but not as much as something under my knees. Pushing the fabric away with my heels works for me, but only for a few minutes. EDIT: I do not have my RL at all tight, though I have tried that. I am usually hanging fairly loose, with just a bit of RL sag once I lay down.

I know exactly what you mean, and this has been discussed before. Don't know where the link is. I've always said it was a factor that I had to deal with, to a more or less degree, in every gathered end hammock I have used. But I have finally found one where any problem is at least minor enough that I don't have to deal with it, my net free HH Safari. I slept through the night without anything under my knees, without ever noticing any left leg or knee hyper-extension discomfort. That is a 1st for me in a gathered end hammock.

Now, I will have to squirm around just a bit to find the exact sweet spot where there is no problem, but at least it can be done easily enough. Apparently the hammock is wide enough to where if I get my legs as far to the right as possible, that irritating center ridge is about a foot away from any left leg contact. Or at least I can finally get settled where I don't notice it enough for any discomfort. And I have not had the sides tied out, and there is no net, so it might be that even the normal Safari might not work as well, but I don't know.

Apparently some of us have more problems with this than others. My left calf is amazingly sensitive to that pressure point. For me it is pretty much the nature of the (gathered end) beast, but at least it is easily dealt with. ( Shug, was your free of this problem DIY a gathered end?)

I have one hammock that is 100% free of any of these issues ( without even having to search for a sweet spot) and that is the JRB bridge. Of course, various people find various pros and cons between bridge vs gathered end style, and many will still choose gathered end as overall best for them. That could be an entire separate thread! But there is little doubt that if you want to have zero knee or calf problems, and don't want to have to put something under your knees, the bridge design is the easy way to do that. YMMV!

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I had this happen to me last night. I found that my butt was a little to far left of center. Once I moved it, the ridge went right away. I also found that if I put my feet farther down in the footbox, it stretches the fabric out more.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast