Tarp
    MamaJamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Helping Boy Scouts get started

I'm working with a few scout troups introducing them to hammock camping. I demo several different hammocks and let them try them out. We show them brand name and DIY models. What is everyone's opinion on the best, low cost entry model with bug net? Not everyone has the skill to make there own or the money to buy a new WBBB or a nice Hennessy. Thanks for everyone thoughts.
    Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.

Bill Bradley

Hammock
    Wbbb, Hennesy safari deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly, hh hex t
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My son and another scout in our troop use Grand Trunck Skeeter Beater and it works well for them. Another boy has a Hennessy Scout and likes it but he is a small boy. The Skeeter Beaters have held up well. My son has used it two years.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    MamaJamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The GT Skeeter Beater Pro was my initial thought, but I haven't had my hands on one before. My sons also use the Hennessy Scout Zip but they will grow out of that one before they finish scouting. Thanks for your comment.

Bill Bradley

Hard to beat the Woot Yukon hammock w/ bugnet, if it's available.. only $20. Was just up a few weeks ago though, so it might not be for a while..

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    GT SB and woot would have been my first selection for cheapest. A table cloth hammock and a simple fronkie style bugnet ( bottom entry with shockcord) would be more expensive but maybe last longer. The tablecloth hammock can be adjusted to a shorter length and increase as they get larger. You would to have someone make them for you or learn how to do it. you could even make the tarp from tyvek.

I have been a cubmaster for 4 years. My son is about to go from web2 to boyscouts. He has his own hammock set up, but I may be making gear for all the boys he will bridge with. The other thing to consider is these are scouts. They can make it a project to gather materials, skilled people or equipment to learn with and make there own. Many of our vendors here in the forum offer scout discounts, you just need to ask. It may not be feasible for all of them but some will relish in the fact that they are camping in gear they had a part in making.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    GT SB and woot would have been my first selection for cheapest. A table cloth hammock and a simple fronkie style bugnet ( bottom entry with shockcord) would be more expensive but maybe last longer. The tablecloth hammock can be adjusted to a shorter length and increase as they get larger. You would to have someone make them for you or learn how to do it. you could even make the tarp from tyvek.

I have been a cubmaster for 4 years. My son is about to go from web2 to boyscouts. He has his own hammock set up, but I may be making gear for all the boys he will bridge with. The other thing to consider is these are scouts. They can make it a project to gather materials, skilled people or equipment to learn with and make there own. Many of our vendors here in the forum offer scout discounts, you just need to ask. It may not be feasible for all of them but some will relish in the fact that they are camping in gear they had a part in making.
    Man I sure like this suggestion. Making your own builds skills, team work and pride. You learn all the components of a hammock camping system.
    I would even suggest a woobie under quilt to complete the system.

Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post

this great advice and not sure i could say it any better.
    I have been in cub scouts for 5 years as As. cub master and cub master.
    son crossed 2 yrs ago and we been in a troop with others that got us into hammocking.
    we have a troop that is all into hammocking and half our troop does as well.
    some have self made others have ENO, HH, WB and tarps go same way.
    son and I spent summer camp in $25 Wal-Mart hammock no bug net and used an $8 8x10 poly tarp as rain fly.

HH i know gives 20% discount to scouts
    Son and I went with them but it took us a couple of months to work and raise the money.
    he worked for friends and family plus B-Day and christmas money to buy his.
    he will take better care of it cause he knows what it took to get it.

no matter how they end up in hammocks they will have a great time together learning all the dif. ways to set them up.
    I know my son and I sure do.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    MamaJamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    All great advise, thanks. I wasn't aware if the HH scout discount. That's Great News!

Bill Bradley

Hammock
    Dangerbird 68" Dig. Camo.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My son is in the scouts as well. We have between 35 and 40 boys in our troop. I have seen as many as 15 hammocks setup on camp outs. The boys seem to love their hammocks for sure. The GT Skeeter Beeter Pro can't be beat for the money. I have bought several of them for family members and my son's friends. I have seen 2 of them damaged on scout outings though (one of the hammocks was mine that I had let a scout borrow). The mosquito netting material tears pretty easily. Make it a rule that there is no horse play in the hammocks or you'll be sorry. Several of the father's and sons have Hennessy hammocks and like them. I have 600 feet of Amsteel that we're going to use to teach the boys how to make whoopie slings with. It's around $5 for 25 feet of Amsteel. I'm looking forward to the whoopie sling class. You may want to consider this as well. Good luck with your decision!
    Last edited by ralexander9646; 08-27-2014 at 23:27.

When my son was in scouts they wouldn't let him use a hammock. Note how I said "was". The troop he was in worried too much about what the scout master wanted instead of what kids wanted to try, and for some reason he was all about tent camping, and nothing else. Oh well, I'll drop it at that. Good luck with what you are doing, and my hats off to you.
    Last edited by Larry_D; 08-28-2014 at 15:36.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast