Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    I was under the assumption that the Polarpod at 10.5 feet would be to long on a 10 foot hammock. Good to know it should still work. I found a Peapod on the forum to try out so i'm sure i'll lead a lot when I actually have one. Thanks for the help and Im sure I'll have more to say after I receive mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    I have an old DIY hammock that I may cut the sides to 52" just to see how it works with the pod. Time to break out the sewing machine.
    Yep, though I guess it is possible, it's hard for a pod to be too long. Although, much longer than your hammock would be that much more wasted cost, weight and bulk. And probably at some point, especially when the trees are at a minimal distance apart, it might be long enough to interfere with your suspension. But really unlikely, since perfection would be where it closes just past the end knots or end channels of the hammock, cinching tight around the suspension, still with enough room for you and all your added stuff. Closed tight on the ends means no worries about those pesky cold air leaks coming in the foot or head end and cold air sinking down under your legs, butt and back, a problem lots of folks do battle with.

Now, too short (or narrow) for the hammock, that is a different story and that is where the problem might be. Not that it can't be done with a longer hammock, because it has been. But the longer the hammock, the further back from the end knots/channels you will be cinching the pod's ends closed. And the further back from the ends, the wider the hammock becomes and the harder it becomes to cinch down. Still, I have been able to do it on longer hammocks and not really noticed significant problems. But it seems to me you are effectively shortening your long hammock?

52" wide should work great with a PeaPod, if the hammock is still comfy. My Claytor is 48" wide so not a big difference there, and it allows the pod to have very little top gap, maybe none depending on how much sag I hang the hammock with or if I lay straight or diagonal. Yes, I can lay straight with much comfort in my Claytor by having my legs on each side of the center ridge. Automatically bends my knees. But usually I am diagonal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I love this thread, because I love my Peapod and Polar Pod. They equal toasty warmth. Krshome I hope that peapod will work great for you. I am going to try my WL Summer Series quilts with my peapod and see how cold I can go with that.

BillyBob, I know I am shorter than you, but I try to get a good diagonal lay and it seems a bit difficult. The Claytor is a narrower hammock and I think I may still have one, so I will have to try that with my peapod. I may also be a bit claustrophobic and the polar pod gives me more room.
    Claustrophobia can be the deal breaker on a PeaPod for sure, but then it is a tough one on any winter system that adequately protects the head, like a mummy bag closed down. Remember my friend who bought a pod for our trip to the Wind Rivers and did not consult further with me? Thus failed to consider his severe claustrophobia and did not plan on either using plenty of puffy clothing or a summer TQ to fill gaps and make a faux neck collar. He had a short 8 ft Claytor Expedition, perfect because the pod easily closed over both ends and draped down on him with no gaps. He would close the top all the way and be toasty, but quickly go crazy, having to open a good sized face vent and all of his warm air would rush right out and he was quickly freezing! He also did not bring a separate hood or thick hat with some kind of face cover so he could not have his head outside the pod and closed around his neck as I have occasionally done.

That was a bad scene. The next morning(it was in the 20s that night) 2 of us pod users got up, and my son in my CS Yeti and Cat's Meow bag, all got up well rested. warm and happy. But my other friend came out of that pod answering "how did you sleep" with "hate it, hate it, hate it!"! We finally got him fixed up where he was not too unhappy the rest of the week, but it was a challenge! So, yes, if some one is bad claustrophobic and plans on using a PeaPod, better make plans for separate head insulation and at least some sort of rigged thick neck collar so all the warm air does not rush out of the big face vent they will need. Me, I'm lucky: I can close that Velcro all the way or with just a 1" vent and be happy! When I do that, there is a ton of head and face insulation. Sorry, I know I have told this story many times. But after my friend bad experience which turned him off to hammocks for years, I just want folks to be aware. But, when he got back from his last trip without us to the Blue Glacier in WA, he was heard to mutter something about how sleeping on the ground sucked, so he may be coming back!

Cali, I'll be real interested to see how cold you can go with that combo. Are you a cold sleeper?
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-15-2015 at 10:50.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I can be a cold sleeper, but then get a hot flash and then start seperating the velcro for some cold air. Crazy stuff women have to deal with.

I am not really claustrophobic, but do think the regular peapod can be a little restrictive. I was very happy to get a good deal on the polar pod off the for sale thread. I called Darby for information on it before I bought it. I like it so much better. BillyBob, when you look at replacing the peapod you sold, look into the polar pod, I think you will like it much better.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images
    I know, that is going to be a tough decision. I can see good reasons to do it and not to do it. If I thought I would be going sub-zero, or traveled to join Shug on an adventure, it would seem a no brainer, so much more room to add insulation. And even where I usually camp, I sure love the idea of the longer length for the longer hammocks the Pea was not designed for.

But on the other hand(that pesky other hand) considering even the winter temps where I usually camp, and the much warmer than teens for 99% of my camps, and considering I have done just fine with the PeaPod at 10F even in a wide Speer with TQ and space blanket added, and considering I have done 2 different trips in the high 20s/low 30s by simply layering clothes on top, and considering less weight, bulk(appreciated for most of my trips) and less cost and considering I have never felt restricted using with my Claytor...................

Well, it is tough to decide. I WANT a Polar Pod, but I'm not at all sure I actually need it. Sigh................
    Bill

EDIT: actually, truth be told I don't even need a PeaPod considering all the ways I still have that work great to stay warm in a hammock. I thought that I might have been having a hot flash, or a heat stroke, the other night at 32F with my CS Yeti, Sierra Sniv, VB clothing and JRB hood. And then there are my HHSSs and MWs, all of which work great. So I guess I can not say I actually need another Pea Pod. But I do miss it!

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I utilized an Exped Dreamwalker as a half pod. It works better than I expected with some very basic mods. I'm in the process right now of morphing a cheap'o mummy bag into a pod. Will post pics when I finish. They are delightful and extra toast'tastic!!

Super with the FUN!!

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Foot open for airflow warm 45* night can unzip the arms if needed.

image.jpg

When needed I use my Exped Dreamwalker rated 35* with a bag inside or not, half or full if really cold New River long UQ not so but chilly UGQ 3/4 40*.
    What I like is the center zip, foot cinch closed wrap cord so not to have drafts, head tuck the hood for no draft use Dutch quilt ridgeline hook to lift upward.

image.jpg

Can I sleep on my side yep only 5'8 smaller in size even crawl inside. System like this might work for some for others not so well for me I'm toasty.

image.jpg
    Last edited by arczeneb; 01-17-2015 at 22:40.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123