Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images

2015-01-10 January Michigan Hoist Lakes weekend at Carp Lake

Here shall be the trip report thread for this outing. Pictures will follow.

Some of the guys got there a day before me. My drive up was treacherous at first, but the roads improved north of Lansing, and kept getter better the further north I went, until I had to get on the secondary roads. I met Ryan in the parking lot, and we hiked in together, after dark, Friday night.

The camp wasn't where it was supposed to be, so the hike was longer too, but we followed the sled trail until we saw in the distance the glow of a warm fire.

After setting up my portable house, I joined the glowing faces around the fire, and made reintroductions, and first time introductions. But with the long drive and getting there late, it wasn't long before I settled in for the night.

But I couldn't sleep at first, with my cold feet, until I finally threw a hand warmer into each of my outer socks (was wearing two pair). After that, everything was much better. Underneath my hammock was my new zero degree, extra long, overstuffed, abominable snow beast of an underquilt from Underground Quilts, and it worked perfect. Above me was a -20 degree slumberjack sleeping bag, opened up to use as a quilt. It also worked great, but was a bit bulky. The bag was pulled up to my chin, and over my face was my $20 Wally World down jacket. Also in the hammock with me was my three liter water bladder, to keep it from freezing.

I slept in late Saturday morning, because I was nice and warm in the hammock, and I knew it was very cold outside. But around 10:00, I ventured forth to the waiting fire, checking my thermometer on the way. It said the overnight low was -5 degrees. It was a good test for my gear, and my gear passed nicely.

I spent most of the day sitting around the fire with everyone else, and into the evening. There was much melting of snow and cooking of food. It was a short trip, and departure time would be early, so I didn't stay up too late that night either.

The second night was twenty degrees warmer than the first night, and I slept even better. Sunday morning, I wasn't as hesitant to get out of bed, everything being so much warmer. After packing up, and spending a little bit of time around the morning fire, I headed out, and was back on the road a little before noon.

The drive back home was mostly clear and the roads were good, until I got south of Lansing, and the blizzard stared. What I've learned is that I much prefer camping in this weather than driving in it!

Hopefully I'll get some pics posted tomorrow.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I look forward to the photos. +1 on roads and driving. I made it to camp mid-dayFriday after dragging my feet loading up and my organizing showed. In my nervousness over projected lows, I packed too much gear. Even though my setup wasn't rated for negative temps, both my son and I slept well. Condensation issues kept me from attempting a second night , but I learned some lessons I'll apply on my next trip: frost catching bib needed along with better ventilation to hopefully minimize frost.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Can't wait to see pics..
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Hardcore Vince!! I was thinking about you guys and hoping everyone stayed warm. I thought about going up there this weekend for a 3-day, but unfortunately they're saying as warm as 40° Saturday! No thank you I can do that in April. Will keep an eye on it though.

Can't wait to see some pics!

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk_67 View Post
    I look forward to the photos. +1 on roads and driving. I made it to camp mid-dayFriday after dragging my feet loading up and my organizing showed. In my nervousness over projected lows, I packed too much gear. Even though my setup wasn't rated for negative temps, both my son and I slept well. Condensation issues kept me from attempting a second night , but I learned some lessons I'll apply on my next trip: frost catching bib needed along with better ventilation to hopefully minimize frost.
    I've found that my method works satisfactorily: Bringing my bag (or quilt) just up to my chin, and then having my jacket behind/above my head and bringing the tail of it over my face, leaving a horizontal air passageway, under my jacket and over my bag/quilt, through which I can see my hammock. Advantages: my coat stays with me in the hammock and therefore stays warm, I can use the hood and sleeves of the jacket as a pillow if I want (I often sleep on my side), don't have to bring another piece of gear to use as a dedicated frost bib. I really don't care if the tail of my jacket builds up with frost (and it does).

This trip, primarily, was a test of my gear. Things I would like to improve: Adding a loop of string at each end of the hammock to clip things to so they can stay in the hammock, but not slide down to me; Adding a zipper so the hammock completely encloses above me, turning it into a combination hammock sock / hammock; Adding a pocket underneath the hammock, which would still be between me and the underquilt, for my water bladder, so that it could be with me in the warm area, but not directly next to me.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Vince you should know better then most that you can't teach an old retired dog new tricks . I can't get anything to post on what do you call it ? google something . Anyway here are my pics .

An ambitious start . Two sleds of basic survival gear . One sled of communal survival , including giant reflective hooch and wood burner . That one only got about 50 feet up the trail . Mr LCV got it next morning . Complained about the way it pulled too . I had the boogie board slippery augmentor acting as a plow .

Josh tending the smoker/woodburner

Smoker smoking away with turkey in the teepee

Josh ( dancing mouse ) taking picture of me taking a picture . Check out the ECW Air Force bibs he scored at the local army surplus . 79 bucks

Mr LCV works on his stew that would not die . He just adds something new every morning , while Vince tries to hold down the fire .

Vince puts on his aluminum hat and gazes heavenward for the comet that will teleport all the true believers , while Mr. LCV beams in his new anorak he traded for .

Here's some of the shelters .
    Sdjs basic poncho shelter . You have to remember this is the guy that jumped in the icy lake and then crawled out and revived himself with a candle and a poncho teepee just for fun .

Here's Joshes final night . He had to abandoned the hammock since his gear was wet and was not working . He set up next to the big fire and only stoked it once in the night a couple hours after bedtime . It then burnt all night and he was toasty finally .

Sorry I didn't get the rest of you guys rigs , I think I was just too lazy to walk down that hill .

Hammock forum guys were kinda light in number . Donk 67 and his son , 3Club , and the double breasters , moi , Mr LCV , Sdj . Maybe next year .
    Last edited by riverjoe; 01-12-2015 at 20:08.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    Thanks for sharing guys!

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Hardcore Vince!! I was thinking about you guys and hoping everyone stayed warm. I thought about going up there this weekend for a 3-day, but unfortunately they're saying as warm as 40° Saturday! No thank you I can do that in April. Will keep an eye on it though.

Can't wait to see some pics!
    Probably do a Feb on the Bloodroot if weather permits ( not warm , not rainy )

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Nice pics Joe.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp