Hammock
    Sheltowee; DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    WLSS: Jarbidge
    Images

My first Climashield top quilt

Today I finished my first top quilt. I think I'm going to call it the 'Double Down.' Double the insulation and double the camo. I used the instructions from diygearsupply.com as my template and it came together pretty well. For the outer layer I used a poncho liner.

IMG_0828.jpg

The insulation is Climahield APEX 5 oz from ripstopbytheroll, plus the little bit of insulation from the poncho liner. The Climashield gave me a few more problems then I thought it would after having read about how easy it was to work with. Well, really the only problem besides bulk was that some of filaments would snag on the presser foot. This caused me to either go much slower and keep the Climashield really pressed down as it came to the presser foot or continually stop and free the filaments from the foot.

IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg

The inside layer is 1.1 Marpat ripstop nylon from MagnaFacbrics.
    I went with velcro like the plans called for instead of snaps or a zipper. We'll see how I like it and if it will hold up. But I figured being in Florida, this quilt will only see so much use.

IMG_0832.jpg

Right now, the only issue I'm having is I can't seem to get the foot box cinched up tight enough.

IMG_0833.jpg

I used 1.5" gross grain to bind the bottom and create a channel. Then I ran some mason line through the channel. Maybe I need some stout line? I'm not sure, but there doesn't seem to be any more slack to take up.

Overall, I'm very happy with how this project turned out. It isn't perfect but it should do. Hopefully I can't get the foot box figured out. If I can't, I'll plug it up with some extra fabric or reflectix. Either way I plan on taking with me this weekend to the FHV, so I'm hoping for some cold temperatures!

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    looks good and warm! apex cab be a pain around the presser foot but it's worth it in the end.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    You can seal up the footbox hole by wrapping the mason line around the end, by the grosgrain. This will 'pinch off' the hole and prevent any air drafts from coming in. Nice work!!
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

there's an attachment called a "roller" foot that is supposed to help a lot with insulation/batting...

0749-Photo-101-2_b.jpg

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Very nice. How did weight and pack size turn out? I'm getting ready to make a 3.6oz one.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    Just make a plug for the foot box out of your scrap.
    --- Bill ---

Hammock
    Sheltowee; DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    WLSS: Jarbidge
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Very nice. How did weight and pack size turn out? I'm getting ready to make a 3.6oz one.

I haven't had a chance to make a stuff sack for it yet but a small bundle it will not be. The APEX 5.0oz plus the poncho liner means that it is going to be a rather bulky item. I will try to weigh it soon but I knew going in this wasn't going to be a light weight option. I live and at this point mostly camp in Florida, so I couldn't justify the price of a down quilt of this temperature rating for the amount of nights it will get used a year.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I know that this doesn't help much with this quilt, but if you decide to do another one, keep the APEX on the bottom of your layers when running it through the machine. This places a smooth nylon (or poly) face against the presser foot, just like if you were sewing anything else. The feed dogs will work just fine pushing the APEX through the machine.

Good looking quilt! If you really want your footbox closed, I prefer sewing it shut (it's how I do all of my top quilts these days), as it makes for fewer drafts. YMMV, though.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmaker View Post
    I haven't had a chance to make a stuff sack for it yet but a small bundle it will not be. The APEX 5.0oz plus the poncho liner means that it is going to be a rather bulky item. I will try to weigh it soon but I knew going in this wasn't going to be a light weight option. I live and at this point mostly camp in Florida, so I couldn't justify the price of a down quilt of this temperature rating for the amount of nights it will get used a year.
    ahh yes. The Poncho liner is going to make that a bit of a beast isn't it? It might not be small and light, but it will keep you warm. still it looks lovely!

• + New Posts