UGQ FJ, Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Dutch Argon Hammock with Whoopie Hook suspension $71
    Dutch Fronkey Style Bugnet $45
    Warbonnet Superfly tarp $130
    Hammock Gear 20* Phoenix 3/4 UQ $199
    Total $445

I, too, agree with this setup, but I'd opt for Dutch's Speed Hook suspension. For what it's worth, I have an XLC, and I very much prefer my Dutch Argon.
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

I would get the full length uq instead of 3/4. Other than that the above list is gtg.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Backpacking vs. car camping is the first question. Compact and lightweight gear comes at a premium I simply would not pay if I was car camping. There are great synthetic options available that cost much less than their down counterparts.

+1 on the 11 foot Dutchware Hammock
    +1 on the Fronkey bugnet
    +1 on the Superfly

The rest of your budget can be used to select your insulation of choice/need. Good luck - nice to start from scratch with a solid budget.

Wow. Awesome information. I will be car camping mostly. Backpacking occasionally. Time to research.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    If car camping, the Kelty Noah 12 tarp would probably be half the cost of the Superfly. I've never used one myself but others on this forum seem pretty happy with them.

I am going to buy the Dutch nylonD tomorrow along with the superfly, and fronkey bug net. I'm still trying to decide on which UQ to get. I do have a question. For a long time I have had my eye on the wbbb xlc 1.1 double. I have read reviews and watched the YouTube videos. My question revolves around comfort of the XLC vs a standard gathered end hammock. Does the shape of the xlc lend itself to a more comfortable hammock? The only thing I have to compare to is my eno double. At 6'4" I would not consider it a good fit. I have a structural ridge line and use the hang calc. It is just too small.

Woohoo. Did some pre tax calculations tonight. Looks like my budget just got upped to $700. What would you change if anything? One more thing, I won't be camping during the winter. The lowest I can see me going is 30° at night.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wouldn't change much. You said you had top insulation (is it rated to 20* ? It should be if your expected low is 30* F), but you could add a 20* TQ if you wanted. The Superfly will handle any weather you throw at it, and since you're pretty much a car camper, a cuben fiber tarp doesn't sound warranted. I'd definitely buy a 180 ft. roll of Zing-It, at least 100 ft. of Amsteel Blue 7/64, and check out some of Dutch's cool titanium gizmos. I currently use Speed Hooks on my hammock, with a Wasp and Dutch Hook on my tarp ridgeline. And while you're at it get yourself some titanium tarp stakes.

You can look at a more expensive, Swiss Army knife type hammock for $200+ but I'd start with a simple, gathered-end hammock like the Dutch NylonD before dropping serious coin on a Cadillac hammock. Check out hammocks in their most basic form first.

UQPs are popular for people using minimalist tarps, but since you have the Superfly I don't think you need it. Dutch sells summer and winter socks, but you probably don't need them if your expected lows are 30 degrees. You might also consider a gear hammock, peak bag, or ridgeline organizer.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtsarby View Post
    Woohoo. Did some pre tax calculations tonight. Looks like my budget just got upped to $700. What would you change if anything? One more thing, I won't be camping during the winter. The lowest I can see me going is 30° at night.
    Just get a good UQ. You may want a longer than normal TQ at your height. Most vendor offer a longer version.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Do you have all the other gear you need for camping? Stove, a good knife, etc?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast