Images

secondary suspension on Climashield Yeti 1st test on BMBH

After many years of procrastination, I finally added a secondary suspension on my old original Climashield WB torso length UQ, which appears to be just like a Yeti except no down. I think (might be wrong) this was the very first torso UQ and first with a perimeter, surround/channel suspension. Since my (also old original version) JRB BMBH happened to be hanging, I tested the mod on that. Years ago, when I had just gotten both of these, I tried to use the Yeti on this hammock and had poor results, Seems like after a while I would end up with a big gap under me even though the suspension was pretty tight. I have since figured this was maybe the result of accordion effect, so this might be a good test using this hammock.

I had planned to rig up a Prussick type adjustable suspension, but the only line I had handy didn't seem to work with out a lot of fiddling with it, I suspect because the Prussick cord was too thick compared to the shock cord. So I just rigged up something with some longer elastic cord. I may change this in a couple of ways later. Either go to Prussick or get some stronger shock cord or replace some of the shock cord with some regular cordage and double up on shorter shock cord for more strength. So this is just the 1st shot at it, but I guess it is working. Top UQ edges seemed to stay pretty straight while I was in it, and it seemed to stay snug against my back. For whatever reason, it also did not slip off my shoulder, a problem I have often had to solve with this UQ.

This is the UQ that had removable layers of CS. I have really only used it with one 2.5 oz layer into the mid to high 40s(plenty warm).
    Oh, I just remembered using it at one of Neo's Fall hangs on a WBBB, 2 layers in, and on a HF group hang in the Sipsey, temps low-mid 40s or maybe a bit colder, both times, warm. My son has used it a few times with 3 layers in the 20s and been fine, with Claytor hammocks(all times for both of us without secondary suspension, so maybe I am imagining the need for one?)

I have really only had trouble when I tried to use it on the original BMBH, like today. This brief test was on a sunless, high humidity afternoon nap of a couple of hours at 36F dropping a few degrees more while I was out there, with a light breeze. There were 3 layers of CS in, so no real test, but that is what was in there and I didn't want to take the time to change it. Especially since if we get some more severe cold snaps I may want to test it with 3 or even 4 layers. But no real test today, but maybe enough to tell if it is working good.

With no insulative clothing layers(cotton jeans and shirt), a Sierra Sniveler TQ and a short WM blue pad for my feet, and a JRB hood, I was very, very warm. It seemed snugged up and with straight top edges. Though I occasionally felt toasty warm along my back, for the most part I was not aware of either cold or warmth along my back, just comfy. It was about the same when I was testing the MW3 the last couple of days along with the TQ. But I was extremely warm all over and on top, to the point where it wasn't long until I had to do some pretty good venting on top around the neck area. I remained totally comfortable head to toe with a good sized gap/opening at the neck.

Could this Sniveler TQ be that warm? It's only rated 20-25F, but we all know ( or at least it has been my experience) that any kind of leak with these TQs can readily keep me from being anywhere near as warm as rated. OK, this was above the rating by 10* or so, but I was getting close to overheating in a fairly short time, without any other layers or VBs. So either the Sniveler is way warmer(for me) than rated, or I was getting a lot of excess warmth from below, even if I was not aware of a toast warm back. Any thoughts? I have no idea, But I was way warm overall.

So I guess the bottom line might be: though I had trouble years ago with this same UQ on this same hammock, looks like this suspension mod has gotten this combo to at least adequate into the low-mid 30s. So maybe these secondary suspension mods added to the channel suspensions are worthwhile.
    Left side head end with leg pad, JRB Sierra Sniveler and pillow inside a old style BMBH with net removed:

Right side head end:

Right side from foot end, showing top edge straight and about the same length as the bottom edge of the UQ:

Close up of foot end showing access zipper for adding and removing layers of Climashield:

View showing foot pad, TQ and pillow down inside the BMBH:

I forgot to get a picture without the secondary suspension tightened up, but in the mean time here is a pic of the same UQ on another hammock where you can clearly see the top edges much shortened compared to the body of the UQ, I think probably showing a bottom sag caused by accordion effect:

Images
    OK, I tested last night, or tried to. I went to bed about 10PM, about 32F, and when I was still wide awake at 0100 I went in the house. I wore no layers except my VB shirt and socks+ loose wool socks, and thin merino wool JJ pants plus TNF WPB pants to make faux VB pants. No fleece or other insulated clothing like I so often sleep in.

I was super comfortable in that JRB bridge hammock, no shoulder, leg or any other issues flat on my back or on my side. I love the consistent comfort of this hammock. However, I nearly burned up. The JRB Sierra Snivler rated 20-25F, JRB hood and the WB UQ with 3 layers of CS, a WM blue pad under my legs and my VB layer clothing proved to be way too much insulation for the 2 or 3 hours I was out there. Even though the quilts had been out in the cold all day, it only took about 15 minutes to realize I was overheating. So I started ventilating a good bit at the neck area. Still too hot. Finally took my hood off, which allowed me to close up the TQ some around my neck. Finally remembered to vent my VB shirt down to the waste, so now I had bare skin covered only by the TQ.

Finally cooled down enough to put my hood back on. Got on my side and leaned back into the deep side of the BMBH, so comfy, but after a while I realized I was not overheating any more and in fact thought I felt a touch of cool along the left side (upper) of my back. Got more on my back and warmed right up again. Then I remembered that this WB Yeti style UQ is not near as wide as my JRB MWs, and does not come near as far up the walls of the hammock as they do. So this may not be the best UQ for my "lean back into the side" technique that I do with this hammock.

When I realized it was 0100 and I was still awake- plus at one point I thought I smelled a skunk and that made me a bit nervous - I said to heck with it and went into bed. But there is no doubt I could have made it to morning without getting cold. I'm pretty sure I could have even without any VBs, and would not have been so hot. So it seems that now this UQ works pretty good with this hammock, so I think the suspension mod was helpful. If you have a channel full surround suspension, and you ever have trouble being as warm as you thought you should be, consider this type of mod.

• + New Posts