Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Im only 5' tall, so having a shorter hammock probably isnt a big deal for me. But im around 150lbs. Im not very large, but I weightlift 4 times a week so Im more stocky than most girls my height. My trees we're on average about 10' apart. I probably would have gone farther apart if I had more cordage with me, most of my extra cordage went to trying to span my massive trees! When I lay in it, I was very tempted to grab up some of the floppy excess on each side and tie it off with a rubberband or hair tie but I wasnt sure if that would be secure enough in the middle of the night if I leaned on it. Im trying to go for the feeling more of sinking into the hammock, not merely sitting on top of it. I was going to do some more reasearch, has anyone ever fooled around with the idea of a non-rectangular shaped hammock? I was thinking of pulling out the stiched channel on each end and modifying it to more of a (bear with me on my drawing)

/-\
    l l
    \_/

shape, then re sewing the channel or just gathering it and tieing the ends to my webbing so that the middle hangs lower than the sides...but I dont want to do it unless someone else has already tried it with any success.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    aha.... a sewing hanger. That means on one thing... It's time for DIY!!!!!!! Forget trying to revamp the one you got. I would find some fabric, any kind will do for a trial run. Hem off a rectangle about 10 feet by 5 feet finished dimensions and slip your cordage through the channel at the ends. Then try hanging the beastie the way that has been suggested and see what you get. Once you find this is better... if indeed it is... you can fuss about what to make the final project out of. Try to find fabric that is 60" wide and just make channels in the ends. You are about to enter the real dark side of hammocking. The DIY world is fraught with addiction. But.... everyone needs to not have a life at times.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    If you want that sunken in feeling you may want to try the Skeeter Beater Pro I really sunk in and it tacoed around me and I had trouble getting out. I didn't like it but, I'm almost twice your weight so it maybe O.K. for you espeically if you feel more secure in a closed in hammock. If you get one becareful with the bug net, it's fragile. You should use shock cord instead of rope so it has some give to it. I ripped my net .
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12