Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD XL
    Insulation
    Fat from burgers
    The DD Underblanket seems to be the cheapest underquilt I've found. I've heard mostly good things about it, but what would you guys say are some of the downsides compared to a $150+ down-version? Just so I can make a balanced decision, because right now I'm really itching to get one of those for Autumn.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC - DL
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotShaven View Post
    The DD Underblanket seems to be the cheapest underquilt I've found. I've heard mostly good things about it, but what would you guys say are some of the downsides compared to a $150+ down-version? Just so I can make a balanced decision, because right now I'm really itching to get one of those for Autumn.
    Also interested in comparison notes as i plan to purchase one of these in the coming weeks...

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    I use mine full time inside when we go camping my youngest kid uses my DD
    for me outside the cut end shape makes it a touch small at the end and seems my feet dont always get that pulled up around coverage which I dont like compared to my HG ?
    I am 6 foot 200+ lbs size 12 shoe and it seems just a touch short feeling on the foot or head/shoulder end and I can only think that is the cut shape

for camping wife and I use HG incubator and IMHO no comparison but they are 3x as much or more so its not a dig on the DD

had to replace my suspension cord on the DD seemed to stretch out rather quick and stay stretched also not a fan of the way they did it
    so basically cut the ends open and threaded shock cord through it all the way to the ends and kept the stock stuff that was sewn on to adjust the ends back and forth and to keep it from sagging down in the middle

for the money they are a great buy of course if you are backpacking extra weight and size is a consideration

IMHO something about down that breathes better and can vary temps much greater meaning for me if i had a syn quilt that is good to say 40 I can only use up to about 50 or so then they dont seem to breathe as well ? even my wifes 0 degree TQ I can use in warmer temps with no problem maybe vent it a bit
    we have 0 degree UQ setup which I love warm when its below freezing and when its 60 out I just use less of a TQ and its comfy and breathes so the down IMHO can vary the temp ranges much more my DD forgot the exact temp ? but was something like 40 and it was cold spots and drafty feeling to me and above about 65 it starts to get that non breathable feeling that synthetic gets for me with my down I can lay out in 65 and just not use a TQ and dont get that feeling its not breathing hope that makes sense

but I think the DD is a great buy just know its shortcomings and think about redoing the suspension as that helped it a lot with the cold spots etc... was a huge difference in warmth

go for it and eventually get a nice HG or other down setup as they are better but you pay for it

Quote Originally Posted by RiotShaven View Post

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmaui View Post
    I use mine full time inside when we go camping my youngest kid uses my DD
    for me outside the cut end shape makes it a touch small at the end and seems my feet dont always get that pulled up around coverage which I dont like compared to my HG ?
    I am 6 foot 200+ lbs size 12 shoe and it seems just a touch short feeling on the foot or head/shoulder end and I can only think that is the cut shape

for camping wife and I use HG incubator and IMHO no comparison but they are 3x as much or more so its not a dig on the DD

had to replace my suspension cord on the DD seemed to stretch out rather quick and stay stretched also not a fan of the way they did it
    so basically cut the ends open and threaded shock cord through it all the way to the ends and kept the stock stuff that was sewn on to adjust the ends back and forth and to keep it from sagging down in the middle

for the money they are a great buy of course if you are backpacking extra weight and size is a consideration

IMHO something about down that breathes better and can vary temps much greater meaning for me if i had a syn quilt that is good to say 40 I can only use up to about 50 or so then they dont seem to breathe as well ? even my wifes 0 degree TQ I can use in warmer temps with no problem maybe vent it a bit
    we have 0 degree UQ setup which I love warm when its below freezing and when its 60 out I just use less of a TQ and its comfy and breathes so the down IMHO can vary the temp ranges much more my DD forgot the exact temp ? but was something like 40 and it was cold spots and drafty feeling to me and above about 65 it starts to get that non breathable feeling that synthetic gets for me with my down I can lay out in 65 and just not use a TQ and dont get that feeling its not breathing hope that makes sense

but I think the DD is a great buy just know its shortcomings and think about redoing the suspension as that helped it a lot with the cold spots etc... was a huge difference in warmth

go for it and eventually get a nice HG or other down setup as they are better but you pay for it
    Thanks for this. Been doing alot of research and comparison. Definitely helps
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3mX3m
    Insulation
    DD Hammocks UQ
    Finally had the chance to try out my DD Hammocks Underquilt this weekend. It worked perfectly - very easy to hang and made sleeping extremely comfortable.

Have to give another shout out to DD Hammocks - I had the chance to try out one of their 3m x 3m tarps over the weekend and it was like someone magically made what I wanted. Easy to set up and great coverage. I ordered one for myself on Sunday and got notification on Monday morning that it had shipped already. Great job!!!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3mX3m
    Insulation
    DD Hammocks UQ
    DSC08141.jpg

My hang in Grand Teton National Park this summer.

DD Hammocks underquilt and 3X3 tarp.
    Last edited by oldfatguy; 09-29-2015 at 16:22.

Hammock
    NylonD 1.6
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Picked up the set, free tshirt too Ordered on the weekend and got it Tuesday in Canada. Super fast shipping. But it was fedex so I got stung with duty, only $36 so it could have been worse.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I have been looking at this quilt for sometime. I think I will order one for this spring. Has anyone used this in winter?
    TDHanger

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    I tested it in a warm winter night (3°C) and I slept well, warm and safe.
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB UQ,MLD Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittagsfrost View Post
    I tested it in a warm winter night (3°C) and I slept well, warm and safe.
    So that' like 37.4 F very nice. I wonder if they would work well in the -5C -6C range 20's Fahrenheit
    TDHanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast