HH, AGG
    Tarp
    HHhex, WBsuperfly
    Insulation
    UGQ, diy
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!!

lashing only?

you've all seen the videos where Tom Hennessy does his hammock end rope lashing technique and says not to tie the spectra rope around a biner or anything that might kink it. so practically speaking, i am ready to speed up my setup with a biner or other clip on each end. Anyone have any experience with this? can i just get a nice round shape biner to avoid damaging the rope?

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    I'd do the whoopie hook conversion if it were mine.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    One way that alot of us used to make our hennesy hammocks easier to set up was the garda hitch method like this: hennessy hammock ultra fast set up technique, eas…: http://youtu.be/1iJTjful66M
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Newton,
    I'm newer the forums, but had one question. I've been under the impression that rope + metal is a bad idea? Even with rounded edges, there are microscopic "scratches" in the surface that can damage your line. I would assume this holds true for this application as well. What's your thought? Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Keirtt; 01-18-2015 at 17:16.

Hammock
    HHEDZ
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirtt View Post
    Newton,
    I'm newer the forums, but had one question. I've been under the impression that rope + metal is a bad idea? Even with rounded edges, there are microscopic "scratches" in the surface that can damage your line. I would assume this holds true for this application as well. What's your thought? Thanks for the help!
    Ive had the same concerns about this set up. My wife's uncle has several hammocks and I asked him about this setup as he said he uses it. He's said not any issue with his ropes over the years he's been using it, but that said, id love to hear the opinions of others on this too

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    All of the quality biners have a coating on them so they should not hurt the rope.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirtt View Post
    Newton,
    Yea I'm sure it does do damage on some level but all I can say is I've been using it for 2 or 3 years on the same ropes with no damage or issues and the guy in the video said he used that method for years with no problem and he was spending months sleeping in it. It's your choice though you know but It does work for me
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Using knots in small diameter rope is more of a concern over any damage a biner may cause. If you were to use a biner you'd need to tie at least a few hitches to secure the rope and this is where you will have some derating of the rope's breaking strength. This is the reason so many people prefer to splice their suspension rope. It would work for you, just be aware of the this.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    My opinion, and probably not only my opinion, is that aside from the 2qzq zipper mods, getting rid of the stock suspension is probably the biggest upgrade you could make to your HH. Soon after I got my first camping hammock (HH expedition), I saw that garda hitch video and bought all the rings and biners to use that method. While it is an improved suspension method, I was never satisfied using it. IMO it is just so clunky and requires so much "stuff". Also the rings and biners clang around making a lot of noise while setting things up. There are much better ways to hang your hammock.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    My opinion, and probably not only my opinion, is that aside from the 2qzq zipper mods, getting rid of the stock suspension is probably the biggest upgrade you could make to your HH. Soon after I got my first camping hammock (HH expedition), I saw that garda hitch video and bought all the rings and biners to use that method. While it is an improved suspension method, I was never satisfied using it. IMO it is just so clunky and requires so much "stuff". Also the rings and biners clang around making a lot of noise while setting things up. There are much better ways to hang your hammock.
    Haha I'm with you that the 2qzq is the best upgrade but don't you think it's being a bit dramatic to complain about the rings making too much noise? They don't make any noise once they are on the tree set up and unless you are jumping around you wouldn't hear them at all in your pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast