WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Silk sleeping bag liners?

Bob and I have ordered top quilts from UGQ, hoping to get them in time for our "100 miles in 10 days" hike (see trips SW). Should we also get some silk sleeping bag liners. Has anyone tried the new bug resistant ones?
    Bob is 6'1" Would the silk liner work as a summer sleeping bag? Can you find any that would be long enough to duck your head under?

We live in Texas after all. If so, I think the bug resistant kind might allow us to flip our bug net off and enjoy the stars...I mean the tree branches.

I would love to hear some info about types found, and DYI projects (where do you buy sturdy silk?), and successes and failures. Also, if they really make the sleeping bag sleep 5-10 degrees warmer.
    Bob and Bev

"The measure of a life is not its duration but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Silk liners made in Vietnam.

Falkniven mentioned them and I found them to be decent quality and inexpensive. They are available in a bunch of sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Silk-...-/291003077824
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    There is one out there made out of Coolmax if you strike out with the silk. I've got one and it feels good against the skin.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I made a DIY silk liner in a top quilt shape, but extra long, from good quality silk to keep my top quilts clean. I mainly for use upside down / lay down on in hostels etc with down bag on top as they are easy to get tangled up in. Also I could only find 35" (I think) wide fabric.

Oh and it adds virtually no warmth, maybe 2-3 degree C. This is good though as I soaked in permethrin and used it on close humid nights

I don't regret building it as it's had probably 10 outings, that said I've now bought a silk base layer set. Though the base layer doesn't stop the bugs biting you feet.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Silk liners made in Vietnam.

Falkniven mentioned them and I found them to be decent quality and inexpensive. They are available in a bunch of sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Silk-...-/291003077824
    Bingo! I got one last year. The single was too small, so I got a double and cut it to a single size I wanted (I'm not a big person, but wanted a single a touch wider than they offered. Besides, if you're a member here, you can't buy ANYTHING without modding it a little....). Cheap, got here, and adds 10F to my quilt. As far as a summer bag, that all depends on what kind of sleeper your SF is.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd find a 50F bag or something.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

I personally don't have the silk liners, but I have some experience with liners in my ground/hammocking days. A local store was having an 'out-of-business' sale and I picked up the Sea to Summit CoolMax liner and a couple of the Sea to Summit winter (I think it's the Reactor that claims a 10-15 F increase in sleeping bag). I really like the CoolMax one for use in the Summertime. In the extreme Summer (70-75F night temperatures) I've used that along with a PLUQ in the hammock and been okay. I really liked it in the sleeping bag as it helped keep the bag protected. I cannot really validate the 10-15 F of the 'warmer' version. They are both comfortable to the skin, but kind of aggravating in the hammock (getting in and out of them). I picked-up the Jacks R Better Liner/Summer quilt ($29 regular and about $20 on sale) and it is wonderful. Make like a top quilt so it's easy to use in the hammock. I have only used it in the Summer so far and it worked well. I've used it one time inside a 30F synthetic quilt at 32F. Slept wonderfully (I am a cold sleeper). Was very warm. Have no doubts that it will boost the sleeping bag/quilt by 10-15 degrees.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I have a Grand Trunk silk liner and have used it here in Texas in the summer. I've also used it in deep winter to add warmth.
    One thought for them is that by using them, you dirty the liner and not the TQ. Easier to wash the liner than the quilt.
    Bug resistant. Well, with Permethrin, you can make anything bug resistant. Read SticksBlog HERE CLICK THIS
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Silk liner as a summer bag

Quote Originally Posted by Brancher View Post
    Bingo! I got one last year. The single was too small, so I got a double and cut it to a single size I wanted (I'm not a big person, but wanted a single a touch wider than they offered. Besides, if you're a member here, you can't buy ANYTHING without modding it a little....). Cheap, got here, and adds 10F to my quilt. As far as a summer bag, that all depends on what kind of sleeper your SF is.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'd find a 50F bag or something.
    I think there is a vast difference in the night time summer heat index between N. Carolina and Texas. I have not found a sleeping bag rated at 95F.
    Bob and Bev

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    MacCat or Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Woopie
    As noted before, they are fine if you don't mind the challenges getting in and out of it. Since I switched to quilts, I haven't tried with the liner, but summer might be the way to go with my light jungle bag as top quilt.
    And even if you saw it yourself, you wouldn't believe it
    But I wouldn't trust a person like me, if I were you
    Sure I wasn't there, I swear I have an alibi
    I heard it from a man who knows a fella who says it's true
    Gaelic Storm - Johnny Tarr

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    We have ordered the super lightweight Vietnam made liners and plan to mod them in one of the ways mentioned. Mine I think I will turn into a top quilt liner by keeping the footbox but putting a slit and hemming it down one side somehow. Hopefully they will arrive soon and we will see. Bob thinks he might like the slit for the head and arms. He could wear it then in the case of night time trips to close-by trees.
    Bob and Bev

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast