Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Member / Asking for opinions on GA or TN

Hi, I'm excited to belong to this forum! I have a question for those of you who have traveled and camped in Georgia and the Smoky Mountains. My daughter is finishing up graduate school (veterinary medicine) the end of June. It has been a strenuous program and as a special gift I'm taking her, and two others on a month long trip into the backcountry for a much needed vacation. I was planning on the Smoky Mountains, but someone suggested that we do Georgia instead. This trip isn't about mileage per day, it's about rest and relaxation and photography options. We will be using hammocks and tents and we have most of the ultralight gear necessary, but I wanted to get the opinions of people who have done both areas and get a feel for what you all think is the best for leaving civilization behind...I know this is the hottest time of the year, but it is our only option as after the month long trip we will be returning her to the west. If I can get opinions on which area/state to do, then I can start planning the trip details. Thank you for any help/opinions you are able to offer! Appreciate any advice!

I love the GSMNP. However new park regulations have reduced the experience somewhat. You must register and pay a fee stating where you will spend each night. There is no tent or hammock camping at shelters (I have broke this rule several times). You can only camp at established camp sites. Campsites can be closed due to bear activity after you start your trip making spending the night at the site you reserved and paid for not possible and wondering what to do. I would suggest, if you have a month, would be to start at the southern terminus of the AT and work your way through the Smokies as if you were through hiking. Many of the rules of GSMNP would then not apply. Hope this helps.

Images
    Benton Mackaye Trail, runs parallel to the AT from Springer Mountain to the east side of GSMNP. Pick up Sgt Rock's Thru-Hikers' Guide.

http://www.bmta.org/Store-Guides.html

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    The Smokies are nice, but the regulations kill free camping. You have to register where you will be each night and you have to sleep in the shelters. That is not to say that you couldn't reserve a shelter for a couple of days and use it as a base camp and hike loops around it and return to it at night a couple of times before moving further into the park.
    Another idea would be to start and the southern terminus of the AT and hike north on it or on the BMT. If you want to get away from the crowds, I would go the BMT route. You could also hike in the Cherokee National Forest. Say start out in the Bald River Falls Wilderness, hike through there then take the BMT to the Slickrock and Joyce Kilmer Wildernesses.
    If you felt like doing some driving, you could tackle the segments of the Cumberland Trail that are being built in Tennessee. Do the Rock Creek segment which has 30-40 miles completed, I think, then drive up further to the north end and start at Frozen Head State Park and hike the trail north to where it ends around Caryville, TN. Then you could possibly do some hiking in Savage Gulf State Park. I think it has around 50 miles of trail. I hope this helps instead of muddying the waters further for you.
    Aaron

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aship View Post
    The Smokies... That is not to say that you couldn't reserve a shelter for a couple of days and use it as a base camp and hike loops around it and return to it at night a couple of times...
    Free advise is worth what you pay for it, ALWAYS verify information with the original source: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...untry-regs.htm

2. You may not stay at any backcountry campsite for more than 3 consecutive nights. You may not stay consecutive nights at campsite 113 or at any shelter.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Roche, thank you for pointing that out! It has been a while since I have looked over the regs there. At least it looks like a campsite, other than 113, could be reserved for a basecamp for a couple of days.
    Aaron

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Instead of Ga, you might try the AT section in NC below GSMNP. Definitely better views than Ga. Little higher elevation, too, which will be nice and cool in June.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    I like the balds in NW TN near Roan Mountain. Try going south on the AT from the AT crossing near Elk Park, NC (US 19E) and heading to Erwin, TN. Great views and the 2nd-3rd week of June the rhododendron are usually in full bloom. It can be cold, even in June/July time frame if a front moves through.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Thank you for your suggestion! I talked with the rangers a while back and the rules for hammock camping were a bit vague, and on line the rules seem all over the place, so I appreciate your idea! Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm checking in doing exactly what you suggested! Appreciate it

Thank you for this heads up and for the web site information. I'll be sure to get on it this week and read all the information. Appreciate the help on campsite 113 as well. Thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast