HH Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 30D
    Insulation
    20*Phoenix,Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling's
    Images
    I changed my HH Ultralite Explorer over to whoopie because I didn't want to spend to much time setting up in the rain. It's easier to adjust if needed.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Yes, I like the HH figure 8 lashing but I like the 'Slippery Larks Head' and single ring (as in the book 'The Ultimate Hang' page 64 of the 2012 revision) better for ease of adjustments.

This summer will be my 13th year of stock HH suspension. My view is I don't need to save the extra minute of set-up time provided by the woopies. I never had a problem with the figure 8's, but last year I changed over to using the stock HH suspension with a 'Slippery Larks Head' and single ring for ease of adjustments (as in the book 'The Ultimate Hang' page 64 of the 2012 revision).
    Tarp: I continue to use the prusick knot for my tarp as well but I added a shock cord loop via prisick to keep tension on the tarp.
    Also, I have used the HH figure 8 lashing method on my DIY gathered end hammocks with Amsteel for years, but I will be trying the Dutch Speed Hooks with the Amsteel this summer.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 01-19-2015 at 11:17.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Hennesey Explorer A Sym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Fly
    Suspension
    Stock
    I am very new to hammocks. That being said I am a tinkerer. Rarely can I stand things the way they came. Especially when there are forums where people share great ideas that are very inexpensive.
    I have an HH Explorer Deluxe. The stock suspension does work well enough no real need for a change. 2 rings from HD make a pretty easy adjustment with no real penalty. Personally my latest interest appears to be Mule Tape with an Amsteel loop off the hammock using a slippery sheet bend/ Becket Hitch. Simple, strong, fast and easy to untie.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    The stock suspension does work well enough no real need for a change. 2 rings from HD make a pretty easy adjustment with no real penalty.
    If you're adding something to make it work better, doesn't that qualify as a change to the stock suspension?

I don't have a lot of experience with the HH suspension, and I'm sure one could (and probably should) introduce additional knots, hitches or hardware to make it easier to use. The post specifically mentioned stock lashing so I'm going to keep my critiques entirely focused there.

The lack of ability to conveniently adjust is a huge downside of the stock lashing instructions for the HH suspension (for me personally). It's not uncommon for me to need to adjust the foot end once or even twice before I get a comfortable lay. I don't like having to revisit that effort during daylight, let alone in the wee hours. If it is the middle of the night a few extra minutes of fumbling and frustration matters greatly to me.

His lashing technique also seems to give up some of the leverage I'm used to having when pulling the suspension to the proper tautness with whoopies or hardware. It's not like holding up a HH is that heavy while you lash, but it is less convenient than other options and it feels like you're at more risk of some slippage while securing the HH (leading to a need to re-adjust yet again). It's the only suspension I've used where I feel like I'd really benefit from having a third hand to hold my suspension taut while the other two hands perform the lashing.

So my opinion is that it works, but I'd prefer to use something else and fall back on lashing if my hardware fails me.

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Just my 2 cents. After a couple of outings I changed to 12" loops and 1"X12' straps and Dutch cinch buckles. This system is just so simple and easy to set up and make adjustments.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Gawd it is so nice to have so many choices in how one wants to hang themselves.
    Personally I have and will stay with the stock set up...works just fine for me and is simple.
    But I can see if you like to fine tune your hang then there are better ways to do it.
    Having Choices is such a wonderful thing....we have all departed from following the herd by choosing to hang so it only goes to say that we all are going to have a different approach to achieve the final outcome.... a perfect nights sleep in your Hammy
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    My first hammock was a hennessey---------this was long before hammock forums or whoopie slings etc. I found the origional suspension to be very time consuming and awkward. (I really didnt like it) I have since moved on to different hammocks, and whoopie slings. (so much easier and faster to set up and adjust!) But like everything else in hammock land, its all good and all what works for you!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    My experience as a fellow newb. I borrowed a friend's HH a couple of times, he LIKES tying knots, I don't. He is really good at guessing the set up on the first try, I retied it repeatedly. I went with whoopies and Dutch bling for my DIY project.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas
    All great responses, even though still a minority, I'm glad to see a few more who like the system. The only reason I'm even asking is my son just indicated he'd like to try hammock camping, so I'll need another suspension system. I have the Ultimate Hang book, so I will look that single ring up when I get home. Sounds promising. As long as the amsteel is not pinched between two rings I think that would be better than knots for strength (at least it sounds like it, until I see it). I'm definitely going to do something with tree straps and a simple single amsteel line. Leaning toward the figure 8 lashing but will look at that ring.

I've noticed that people do complain about his tree huggers being too small. I think I'll go with 6' straps. Probably good for most trees I'll encounter.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I couldn't stand the stock suspension - what a pain in the butt making adjustments. I'd call that the opposite of "simple." I swapped to whoopies fairly quickly.

In the Northeast, all the trees were clear cut a century ago, so there's very little old growth. I find the Hennessy tree straps are fine for this area.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast