Hammock
    Dutchware NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    Kelty Frankenquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Switched fairly quickly to longer straps. I went with descender rings on lite carabiners on both ends (secured by a garda hitch) but kept the stock ropes. Set my straps, clip in, pull to adjust, slippery half hitch and done. More important for me (still getting used to things) was the ability to easily adjust.

HYOH!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    My first hammock was a hennessey---------this was long before hammock forums or whoopie slings etc. I found the origional suspension to be very time consuming and awkward. (I really didnt like it) I have since moved on to different hammocks, and whoopie slings. (so much easier and faster to set up and adjust!) But like everything else in hammock land, its all good and all what works for you!
    Ditto, for me it is all good. Just like with hammocks and their various insulation methods, I just enjoy trying a bunch of different stuff. And I often end up seeing some pros and cons to all of it, maybe ending up with no clear favorite. I use WS, straps with cinch buckles(a favorite), stock Claytor suspension(love it but watch out for/fix water running in) JRB thingies on both JRB bridges, the stock old Speer straps(still using on rare occasion) and I still occasionally use my HH Explorer ULs with HHSS and stock suspension.

One thing for sure, the HH fig 8 is about the slowest in the race. And it was- along with the hammock, tarp and the HHSS- just one more learning curve I had to deal with on my 1st WY hammock trip. I did not like it at all, but since I did not know there were other options the reason for the dislike was I was unsure of if I was doing it correctly and afraid of a fall.

So I was delighted when I found I could replace it, with a strap and cinch buckle on one end and one of those plastic rope cleat thingies on the other. However, for some reason- can't remember why, I went back to stock on that one hammock. And as I gained more experience with it, I'm fine with it now and have been for years. Slow, yes. But it finally dawned on me, after I got over the novelty of leaving my tenting friends in the dust during set up and take down, that I was not really in any hurry at these times, not to the point that an extra minute or two mattered. So I did not really care about speed.

After I got used to the lashing and truly knew what I was doing(took a while), I found it all extremely simple and fail proof. It did take a few extra minutes, but could hardly go wrong with it. It could not produce a knot that was hard to undo, and there was nothing requiring dexterity to undo or tie in the cold. It seemed ok in the cold.

The last big problem to be solved was how the extra minutes started adding up if I had to redo, Like if I wasn't happy with the centering between trees or the height of the hammock or the height of the foot end. That was where the biggest PITA was compared to a cinch buckle. Having to do a hitch on both ends is one thing, having to do them 3 or 4 different times is something else!

But that was mostly solved on the day I realized I did not have to hang my hammock so dang tight. That pulling it moderately tight(like the directions said) or even a bit looser than that was fine. The hammock RL would still be straight once I got in, comfort was unchanged or improved, and most amazingly- almost always- the tree huggers would hold me up, rather than slipping down the tree. (I actually discovered this following the directions for the JRB Triglides on my bridge hammock). So suddenly, if I needed to move the say footend hugger further up the tree, I could just pull the hammock tight with one hand, causing some slack in the suspension, and slide the hugger up with the other hand. If a branch was blocking this trick on one end, I could maybe just go lower the head end instead. If centering was not quite right, I now realized centering was not all that important, I could compensate for that by again raising or lowering one end, or both if just more height was needed. I very rarely need to do the very time consuming un-lash/re-lash. Oh, and BTW, another trick was learning not to lash until I was satisfied with centering and height, until then I just tied a 1/2 hitch to hold things up while I eye ball the set up, then I figure 8 lash. Doing that, I cut down the # of adjustments needed later a good bit.

So, bottom line, I probably do like some suspension set ups better and they are faster. However, I don't really care much. If a stock HH is on there, I use it without much trouble. And it may actually have some advantages.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I've ordered polyester webbing from Strapworks before and it was way thicker and heavier than needed. I'd say go with Dutch's webbing if you're needing tree huggers. I believe he sells them premade too.

Images
    I forgot:
    re: rain running in:
    When I am using a stock HH, I am also using Snake Skins, which cover the rope from under the hammock to near the tree trunk and under it's branches. No water is running down that rope.

Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas
    Well, I just hung my hammock and tarp for the first time today. As I think I mentioned I have the ENO Atlas straps for it, but having gotten a second hammock for my son I was going to play with the lashing system or something else on mine and give the Atlas to my son.

Having done this just once, I think I now understand why folks don't like the lashing method. But I think Oldpappy pointed me in the direction I'll likely go. I looked at page 64 of The Ultimate Hang and saw what you mentioned--the slippery lark's head in the biner. I like it. Single rope off the hammock like the Hennessey, simple tree straps (but 6 footers) and a quality biner. Done like dinner!

Dejoha says he used it with 5mm climbing rope, which I understand is different, but he said he originally used it with the stock Hennessey rope with is Spectra. I'm fairly sure under load that slippery hitch will work fine.

I have not been in hammocks long. I migrated to descender rings on lite carabiners pretty quickly but I intend to thru hike the AT starting next year. I am practicing for it now and part of that practice was to pack out all my stuff. I found the ropes that came with the HH along with the rings and carabiners take up a fair about of space in a backpack. I am trying to keep as light and small as I reasonably can go. By going to woopies I saved a bit of weight and some time when hanging and taking down (maybe not that important but good when tired and wet with cold hands), and I did save some space which I need. So all together it added up. If I was not doing the AT and instead was car camping or just hiking a few days I probably would not have changed anything.

Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas
    BillyBob58, awesome post, thanks!

I'm actually very comfortable with knots--while hammocking is new to me, camping is not and that lashing looks pretty simple to me. I am for sure going to go with just a single long rope on the hammock and tree straps (thanks for the clue about Strapworks, did not see that Dutch had them). My last question will be do I buy a couple of new climbing biners or just do the lashing?

Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe it's my time in the service, but I follow instructions pretty well and I got my new hammock pitched at a perfect angle first time today. Using the clove hitch to size things up I would think would be obvious, glad you said that. I could not figure out why so many folks were retying their lashings. Maybe I'll know when I'm out in the field.

P.S.
    I've come to a conclusion. I'm getting straps and putting the long rope on the hammock a la Hennessey and I'll try the lashings first camping trip. I like knots, frankly and am super comfortable with them. If I'm frustrated by it I'll get a couple of Black Diamond biners later. Thanks for all the responses!

Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas
    Forgive me for being new ... but I just found this and it may be my nirvana. Long rope from hammock simple tree straps, simple one ring hardware, simple slippery clove hitch attachment for (fairly) quick adjustment. I like this a lot. Nothing to pinch the rope with, and if I use that really fat Omega Pacific ring it shouldn't stress the Amsteel much at all.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Support-System

419QHmpPVPL.jpg

I still have not ordered any supplies, but I feel an order to Dutchware coming on soon!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Couldn't stand my HHED suspension. Had to swap it out with ring buckles.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I'm a scoutmaster and a bit of a knot geek.

Having said that, I quickly lost patience for the stock straps and figure 8 knots.

I'm not in gram weenie mode when out with the BSA, so I settled on tying in climbing carabiners with a munter hitch backed with two half hitches. This gives me a built in drip cord with the extra length hanging down. I pair this with Atlas Python straps which give me a bigger diameter of trees I can use and very quick setup.

It's not ultra light, but it's a nice compromise for ease of use.

Also, I'm leery of the decender rings setup after researching the effects on spectra cord.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast