Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas

Does anyone actually LIKE the Hennessey lashing suspension system?

As a noob, I've looked at all the whiz-bang hammock suspension vids and read all the cool Dutchware bling threads. But having watched the Hennessey lashing video on their site, I am drawn to its simplicity. I think I'd like it! Then there is the excitement generated by the Dutchware speed hook which gets rid of one length of amsteel in a whoopie to save weight. Hmmmmm, the Hennessey is already there.

Frankly, I'm not a weight fiend (a couple ounces here or there are immaterial to me) and I really don't mind the extra couple minutes it might take to set up the hammock. I'm toying with the idea of taking the loop/carabiner off my Grand Trunk Double, looping an eye in one end of a length of Amsteel, running that through the channel, and getting a couple inexpensive tree huggers from strapworks and going the Hennessey route.

The only thing stopping me is it seems everyone who has a Hennessey likes to swap it out. I understand the desire to tinker and make something one's own. But is there anyone here who is actually a FAN of the Hennessey suspension system? I do think I'd like it, but I am worried I'm missing something and don't want to do this without a little encouragement from at least one fan of the lashing system.

P.S. Just thought of the water break function of hardware. Not sure if the drip string would be enough without a piece of hardware. No experience, just thought of that.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post

P.S. Just thought of the water break function of hardware. Not sure if the drip string would be enough without a piece of hardware. No experience, just thought of that.
    Dejoha just did an experiment where he showed that the hardware water break idea actually was not very effective, compared to a simple drip string. Check out this blog post. Pretty interesting. http://theultimatehang.com/2014/05/h...nd-drip-lines/ As far as the hennessy suspension, he biggest problem I had with it was lack of adjustability. It seems like it was very difficult for me to undo and redo every time I wanted to adjust the height, hang angle, tension or whatever. Your mileage may vary.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

A Hennessy Explorer Deluxe was my first hammock (bought about 2 1/2 years ago). I still own it and I use it when the 'skeeters' are out and about. I have a Lite Owl that I use during colder weather. I personally have not had a "big issue" with the figure 8 lashing. I also think it 'looks kinda cool'. I usually just tie a couple of half-hitches on each end to test the hang and then I'll tie the figure 8 on both ends. Usually takes me about 5-10 minutes to tie both once I'm happy. Then again, I'm out in the woods and I'm not trying to do things in a hurry. If it's raining, I've already got my tarp up. I use the two separate cords on each end. Once, I tied a Figure 8 on a bight at the end of hammock and tied a marlin spike hitch in the tree strap and used a caribiner. It was okay, but I still like the Figure 8 lashing.
    To date, I have not had any water enter my hammock. I usually tie a drip cord with Zing-It about 3 inches up from the hammock. I have been in some real downpours and I have not gotten wet. I currently use a 12' ridgeline Tadpole tarp. Last two times that I was in this hammock last Summer/Fall, we had so much rain I had about a foot of water running under my hammock. Just my experiences.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I have two with the original suspension. I have never used the figure 8 as I dislike it as cumbersome (use two descending rings) but I also have not taken these to hike in many a year as well. There is a simplicity as well to a whoopee sling and though I too am no weight fiend, I save where I can since i'll build it up elsewhere somehow!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

In addition to ease of adjusting, to do the HH lashing technique, the loops at both ends of the tree straps have to be together. The straps are short so they can only go around 1 half time and are prone to slip while setting up. If the straps were longer, they could go around 1.5 times and would be less likely to slip. I prefer to put one end of the strap through the loop at the other end but then I can't use the lashing, so I started using a carabeener instead.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    the stock system worked well, for me, and was rather simple, once i got the image in my mind

slept several times w/ it and had no failures(isn't that what we are really striving for?)

i'm retyred w/ A LOT OF TIME on my hands & tinkering w/ the suspension was FUN

if i were a GRAM WEENIE, the work i did would have been worth it

if you aren't a GRAM WEENIE, keep the stock system

IT AINT BROKE & DON'T REQUIRE FIXIN

it really is a delight to take something out of it'z factory package and put it directly into service w/ peace of mind

if you do decide to tweak your system, take lotsa pics so you can go back, if you choose

just this old fat man's 2¢ worth

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Images
    When I first jump in the hammock pool I went with the HH. I still use it. I was drawn to it for a lot of reason, not the least of which was the lashing concept. I believed it would be something I could master in short order and go from there. That being said, I did change out my suspension within a few months.

I changed more for speed and simplicity of set up than anything. I have turned into a bit of a gram weenie (said lovingly not bitterly) but simple is still the main component for me.

This is one of the many components that you may or may not tweak over the course of you hanging lifetime. It all boils down to individual preference and process. The irony is that many switch to similar systems thus becoming part of a larger group. Stick with what you like until such time as you find something you like better. It's all part of the journey and the journey is the thing.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    My HH was my second hammock, bought a ENO, quickly bought a HH. I had two problems with the suspension.

1. Second time I used the hammock the suspension had a problem with the line being damaged.

2. I found the Hennessy method of lashing to be a major PITA for me. Maybe because I am short, my hands are small, I don't know. I do not work well with my arms over my head.

Getting the lashing loose was a major problem after a night of rain, or when it is cold outside. At least that was my experience.

As other members have stated, you need to try out before you really know if it is to your liking. Many of us start with one type of hammock and then discover our taste/want has changed so we move to a different hammock or suspension. Some members just want to sample all new methods of hanging. Experience and personal taste is what dictates what you want.

Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas
    Thanks, guys!

As to the tree huggers being too short, I was looking at either 6' or 8' straps from strapworks, fairly inexpensive ...

http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks...ng_p/hss1p.htm

Thanks for the info on the driplines!

I am 6' tall, but at 20' tree separation I could see the lashing being onerous. One of the things I like most about the lashing system is the single rope from the hammock. I suppose the Dutch Speed Hook (or similar) would become a better solution with widely-spaced trees. Since tree diameter and spacing are not predictable, I suppose the Dutch Speed Hook with long tree huggers is the more versatile, but for trees up to about 15' apart, I do like the lashing.

Like you say, if it ain't broke ... I'll stick with what I have for now while I think about this. I am glad at least a few folks like the lashing method, I got the impression nobody liked it. I think it has appeal.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I really like the simplicity of the figure 8 lashing, and follow the same process as Hillbilly Hanger, i.e., tie a couple of half hitches to get centered, then lash in. That's not to say that I don't understand the alternatives, or have any experience with them. I have another hammock that I use the marlin spikes for (a simple gathered end), and I've tried the descender rings method with my Hennessy as well. I keep coming back to the figure 8 because it's simpler, lighter weight, and continues to work.

Also agreed with the water break issue - the figure 8 lashing seems to be great, we have some wonderful thunderstorms around here, and I've never had water work its way under my tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast