Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Winter Tarp Options

So I am about ready to pull the trigger on a winter tarp with doors, and thought I would bounce some questions off the hammocking masses. I currently only have a Big Mamajamba tarp, which covers a lot of uses fairly well. I figured I would get a tarp with doors instead of the door kit for faster setups and I figured the one piece tarp would be able to hold up to wind better as well. I have WBB and WBBXL hammocks, but I will primarily be using the 11ft hammock in the winter (due to the winter top cover). The three tarps I am looking at are the Simply Light Designs Winter Haven, the Warbonnet Superfly, and The OES four season. Although, I am leaning towards the SLD tarp.

I see that the OES winter tarp is a 12ft ridgeline. Does anyone have experience running a 11ft tarp with doors with an 11ft hammock? And primarily how tight it is on the ends with the doors closed. I feel the 12ft tarp may be harder to fit in certain spots and keep a taught pitch. Or is the 12ft worth the extra weight in this use case? Weight is not as much of a factor for me in the winter, as durability to hold up to wind and snow.

I am thinking the OES tarp is a no go for me, because it looks like the doors do not close all the way. Also, I sent an inquiry email and haven't got a response back yet, while Jared at SLD emailed be back in a few hours.

Has anyone compared the superfly sil nylon to that of SLD? I would prefer a material of a bit heavier weight than my Mamajamba.

With regards to the SLD line locks. What is the cordage size range for these (IE: are they compatible with zing it)?

For the SLD I was planning on specing it with the 11ft ridgeline, cat cut, line locs, seem sealing, and side panel pull outs.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated! Hang-On...

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I have several Superfly tarps and several SD tarps. They all rock. The WB tarps do pack smaller and weigh less. The SLD tarps are sturdier, and have more flexible tie outs. The line locs are "line loc 3's" and don't work well with zing/lash it. They work best with 2.2 mm and up line.

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    Various DIY's
    Insulation
    DIY top/btm quilts
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    I'm in the same boat. I'm ready to pull the trigger on either the SLD Winterhaven or the WB Superfly.....Just can't decide which one having never seen either in person.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I had an OES 4 season and as you mentioned the ends don't really close. Brian might have changed his design but back when I had mine a few years ago it was basically a rectangular shape with cat cuts. When closing the ends there was an opening created by the cat cuts and you couldn't really enclose yourself. The Superfly is cut with extended corners so you can close the ends with some overlap.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Another suggestion... keep your excellent BMJ and put doors on it via 2QZQ.

I have a 12' tarp and I find it a little too long sometimes when there aren't plenty of tree options. Of course, sometimes when there aren't a lot of options, long can be a little better as well. But an 11' tarp is fine coverage and no reason to ditch what you already have... UNLESS you just want the type of doors that go in like you see in the WB, SLD or OES pics - the 2QZQ doors go straight down, giving you full room under the tarp, something I really like. I also had mine done in cuben so that I added very little weight - or more importantly, bulk - to my existing setup. The cuben sleeves roll up to next to nothing when not needed, but they are white. I like the contrast, but I could see how others might not.

p.s. and the 2QZQ doors do close. I put a patch of velcro on them so that I can leave them loose enough to get in and out ok, and then close up at night.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB or BBXLC
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post

I have a 12' tarp and I find it a little too long sometimes when there aren't plenty of tree options. Of course, sometimes when there aren't a lot of options, long can be a little better as well. But an 11' tarp is fine coverage and no reason to ditch what you already have... UNLESS you just want the type of doors that go in like you see in the WB, SLD or OES pics - the 2QZQ doors go straight down, giving you full room under the tarp, something I really like. I also had mine done in cuben so that I added very little weight - or more importantly, bulk - to my existing setup. The cuben sleeves roll up to next to nothing when not needed, but they are white. I like the contrast, but I could see how others might not.

p.s. and the 2QZQ doors do close. I put a patch of velcro on them so that I can leave them loose enough to get in and out ok, and then close up at night.
    Thanks for the input. Adding the door kit later was my thought when I purchased the Mamajamba, but I am steering away from that because I already have one tear in my Mamajamba, I don't think the door kit will hold up to high winds as well as sewn in doors (just had gusts to 60 last weekend in RMNP), and I really like Jared's responsiveness/willingness to help. After your suggestion though, I think I will go for the 11ft ridgeline and I like that the sil is a little heavier weight. I'm used to just having d rings on the corners of my tarp. How do you guys like the line locks and which cordage do you prefer? Dynaglide or something reflective possibly?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yeah I have the Superfly and BMJ. I added the door kit which is nice, but when I know it's going to rain alot or anytime in winter, I like the easy of the Superfly doors all one piece. Still keeping the BMJ for doorless option when weather is nice or even take 2 doors along for options.

I like black Lawson glow wire with simple plastic figure 9s. I use shockcord for the doors with a mitten clip and loop at the end so I have a choice on how to attach them.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I also had mine done in cuben so that I added very little weight - or more importantly, bulk - to my existing setup. The cuben sleeves roll up to next to nothing when not needed, but they are white. I like the contrast, but I could see how others might not.
    That sounds very cool. I really like the idea of the contrast. Any pics?

Hammock
    Dutch Cameleon
    Tarp
    HG 11 foot Cuben
    Insulation
    OWL SSTQ/SSUQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Can't go wrong with the Super Fly. Great all around tarp for multi-season use.

Cheers

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I have a Superfly...great tarp, haven't run into any issues even with running an 11 ft hammock underneath.
    Keep in mind that UGQ also offers tarps with doors...it's called the Winter Dream, down at the bottom of their listings...Options include 11 or 12 ft ridgeline, 2 or 4 pullouts, and built-in pole mod (single center or dual ends).

Just in case you didn't already have enough options

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast