Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 20º Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti Buckles
    Images

My new indoor hang setup

I've been seeing a few of the indoor hang threads and decided to give it a go. I am in the process of finishing my basement/garage into an office/mancave and I figured I could put the anchors in the header joist before I finished the ceiling.

I picked up a couple of 1/4" cold shuts from tractor supply and used #10 2" Spax screws.

And for the webbing I used some climbing tubular webbing from REI that I had laying around, tied with a water knot.

I went with 2 anchors at each end for redundancy and to help spread the weight. I used the iPhone hammock hang calculator and the forces came out to 236.8lbs of cord tension and 189.1 shear force on a hanging weight of 285lbs which is what my hammocks capacity is, using a 37° angle. Since my points are in the ceiling and my angle was greater, this also helped reduce some of the forces, and provides a comfortable lay for me. I weigh 275-280 and I have been hanging in it for the last few days and have not had any issues. I've bounced in it to see if it was going to give and have not experienced any problems.

For suspension I'm am currently using my eno slapstraps pros with Dutch speed hooks. There is some stretching of the straps and that may be contributing to handling the bouncing better. I'm not sure. If any of you have any theories let me know.

I'm wondering what the best way to do a detachable suspension system would be since I am going to be insulating and covering the ceiling. Any ideas? The ceiling is going to be galvanized aluminum when it's done.

Not really familiar with how to distribute loading on a ceiling beam or wall stud. You could always build some sturdy metal poles with metal footings to hold it up. You could probably move them around your basement as well which would be cool

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Double check your anchor. In climbing, this is known as the "American Death Triangle". You're think you're putting 50% load on each anchor, but you're actually putting close to 400% load on each! That means for a 200 pound hanger, each anchor is loaded at 800 pounds!

American Death Triangle

You would be better off just pulling straight down on one anchor. Also, check this thread for two equalized anchors. I set it up last week, and it's been working great! Will post pictures soon.

HF: Indoor Hanging: Equalized Climbing Anchor
    Last edited by ufdigga; 01-20-2015 at 16:22.

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 20º Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti Buckles
    Images
    Sweet! That's invaluable info to have! Do you think I could I use a sliding x with the anchor points I already have set up?

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 20º Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti Buckles
    Images
    Here is the new setup.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Looks great! I think based on your first setup, a single hook probably would have given you enough support. But now you're definitely distributing the load between two anchors, and you've got backup.

Cheers!

Hammock
    BIAS WW Micro
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Jarbidge Renegade
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    I had to tie my whoopies off to my syspension...they were hanging down to the floor and Bucky decided he wanted to hang out with me. Unfortunately he has claws so I am hesitant to let him crawl around on the hammock. S*** just got ABOREAL! I thought taking the bed off the frame would be enough, but I had to actually take the box spring out from underneath it as well, so I just have a mattress on the ground(although I do have a 4" foam mattress topper). I guess I could have hung the hammock higher, but the the eyebolts are only 2' from ceiling.

• + New Posts