Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    In terms of warmth the gossamer gear pad kept my bum toast in the low 40s. Didn't test it lower than that.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Another Gossamer Gear 1/4" wide pad user here. I think the pads are about 13 years old and still good - sizes were a little smaller then. I primarily use them above 45F. Your bridge hammock will determine pad size for you. Don't forget bulk size as well as weight. I roll/tie mine below my pack and didn't want the roll too low (too big) - so there is a size consideration based on how you pack.
    For my application, I cut the wide pad in half and use the resulting 30" X 36" pads in my 2 Hennessy bottom entry hammocks (one for me one for grandkids).
    P.S. I used the doubled up 1/4" pads down to 22F once - only once. I slept, but wasn't warm, but I didn't die or lose and parts :>)
    Last edited by oldpappy; 01-21-2015 at 10:11.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Just Bill,
    I ordered 2 sheets of foam from here, foambymail.com with my first hammock. Quality, prices and shipping seemed good at the time and they seem to carry a good bit of variety. Don't have much experience with it, just wanted to throw some more options out there for you.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Just Bill,
    I ordered 2 sheets of foam from here, foambymail.com with my first hammock. Quality, prices and shipping seemed good at the time and they seem to carry a good bit of variety. Don't have much experience with it, just wanted to throw some more options out there for you.
    I'm curious about their skin too, wondering if you could use that as a pad sleeve...
    http://www.foambymail.com/MC2-SKIN/c...oam-skins.html
    Maybe for high summer it would be enough on it's own to say 65*
    Then add 1/8" or 1/4" pads as the season dictates.
    Perhaps as a set (skin+1/8"+1/4") you would have a pretty versatile three season rig and add or subtract pads as needed.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Fl Jacket
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I use a 1/4" down to upper 40's/lower 50's and am comfy. I added a 3/8" to it for a night down to 24*F. Only with much augmenting of clothing and an additional reflectix footpad was I able to sleep. Another night with the same setup at 37*F with much less clothing and I was oh so toasty. But I've found it very handy to do just as you say - to add or subtract pads as needed.

Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas
    I am very interested in this thread, thanks to the OP and all subsequent posters. I have a couple questions.

First is this the kind of windshield reflector you who like them are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Reflector-Prem...ustomerReviews
    41K0Fbc-oeL.jpg

And how does it differ from the Reflectix sold at the big box hardware stores?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix...8100/202092205

Nobody needs that much, but I'd rather have wider than 24". This looks like the stuff Hennessey hammocks sells (can't tell, though just guessing) and a roll like that could be split up by a local hammock hang group. This is the 24" wide stuff, maybe that works.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix...4025/100020855

But if it is basically the same as the truck windshield, that's the least expensive way to go, but I don't know if that is as good as the Reflectix.

The multiple pads sounds like a very good idea. I've seen threads where people suggest putting them in these flannel sleeping bag liners so they stay together and are easier to keep under you.

http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Fleec...f=cts_ap_1_fbt
    61OkfyziPZL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm thinking one of the fleece bags, two 1/8 inch foam pads, and one of the truck windshield reflectors (or Reflectix, if it is really better), makes a nice 'system'. You can use one foam pad on warmer nights. One foam and the reflector on cooler nights. Two foams and the reflector for really chilly, all held in place by the flannel liner. With a little sewing skill I bet the liner could be downsized without losing the zipper.

I'd like to get a reasonably sized system like this, and couple it with the used synthetic mummy bag I just got to use unzipped as a top quilt. I think I would eventually get decent quilts, but I want to camp a season "on the cheap" first to see how it goes.

P.S. I just thought of something. It would be even better with a 1/4" and a 1/8" foam. Then you have the 1/8", 1/4" or 3/8" with both of them. Plus the reflector. I think that would be a good system.

I recommend volara (2lb density):

http://www.foambymail.com/VA/polyeth...foam-roll.html

I've tried the Gossamer Gear pad and found volara to be warmer. According to Foam by Mail website, volara is rated as "Excellent thermal insulation" whereas minicell is rated as "Good thermal insulator." Minicell is another foam material that often gets good reviews here on hammock forums.

I've had my volara pads since 2009. I ordered several feet at 60" wide at 1/4" thickness. I cut two large pieces, one is 37"x43" (6.05oz) and the other is 40"x49" (7.70oz). I've found these two to be excellent length and width for hammock use. They cover well my torso and shoulders down to about my calves. I place another foam pad under my feet when needed.

I've found that 1/4" thickness is good to just under 40F, and combining these two together is much lower. I don't recall whether sub 30F but certainly in that range. I think I have tested these two pieces combined to 28F, but cannot recall for certain.

I also have volara in 1/2" thickness and I have tested two pieces stacked, one at 1/2" thickness plus another at 1/4" thickness, to 18F and felt these two would take me lower. The 1/2" thickness piece is only 20" wide, so I used one of my 1/4" thickness pieces to protect my shoulder areas and to add extra thickness for my torso. The 1/2" is not as flexible as the 1/4", so for hammock use I recommend combining two 1/4 rather than one 1/2 piece since the two 1/4 will be more flexible and mold better to one's body.

As noted, this material is very flexible, especially at 1/4 thickness. While some write that pads detract from hammock comfort, these pieces do not.

Since they are wide, I fold them in half and roll them when backpacking. The center crease created by folding does not seem to harm this foam, at least here at the 5 year mark.

Bryan

So what's the final answer? lol

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    KAQ NR Deep Winter
    Suspension
    WHOOOOOOPIE!
    1/4" blue CCF from walmart. Best foam for my needs.
    "Go Vols!" -UT campus

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by bwg View Post
    I recommend volara (2lb density):

http://www.foambymail.com/VA/polyeth...foam-roll.html

I've tried the Gossamer Gear pad and found volara to be warmer. According to Foam by Mail website, volara is rated as "Excellent thermal insulation" whereas minicell is rated as "Good thermal insulator." Minicell is another foam material that often gets good reviews here on hammock forums.

I've had my volara pads since 2009. I ordered several feet at 60" wide at 1/4" thickness. I cut two large pieces, one is 37"x43" (6.05oz) and the other is 40"x49" (7.70oz). I've found these two to be excellent length and width for hammock use. They cover well my torso and shoulders down to about my calves. I place another foam pad under my feet when needed.

I've found that 1/4" thickness is good to just under 40F, and combining these two together is much lower. I don't recall whether sub 30F but certainly in that range. I think I have tested these two pieces combined to 28F, but cannot recall for certain.

I also have volara in 1/2" thickness and I have tested two pieces stacked, one at 1/2" thickness plus another at 1/4" thickness, to 18F and felt these two would take me lower. The 1/2" thickness piece is only 20" wide, so I used one of my 1/4" thickness pieces to protect my shoulder areas and to add extra thickness for my torso. The 1/2" is not as flexible as the 1/4", so for hammock use I recommend combining two 1/4 rather than one 1/2 piece since the two 1/4 will be more flexible and mold better to one's body.

As noted, this material is very flexible, especially at 1/4 thickness. While some write that pads detract from hammock comfort, these pieces do not.

Since they are wide, I fold them in half and roll them when backpacking. The center crease created by folding does not seem to harm this foam, at least here at the 5 year mark.

Bryan
    Is there a much difference between the Polyethylene and Volara foams? I can find the Volara at other sites. Any idea what the R-value might actually be? I think that 40 degrees at a 1/4 inch if it is soft and flexible would be awesome. Can't see a downside to testing it out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast