WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

Hennessy Mod - A New Sleeve

With Respect to Tom - I altered my HULBA using the original tarp. See attached pics. The story: Wanted a larger tarp than the Asym that came with the HULBA and the Etowah 8 x 10 rectangular I had on-hand was not working like I wanted, therefore went to a 11 x 10 cat-cut. Now, what to do with a left over asym tarp and cold weather hammock sleeping issues. Could I solve the cold weather issues by modifying the HULBA by adding a sleeve underneath???
    With a little help from our favorite seamstress, the asym tarp was converted to a rectangular sleeve. BA Air Core mummy and Wally-World blue ccf fit well but looks like I will need a full-size, long pad to fill out the sleeve.
    The sleeve turns out to be 30-inches wide and about 96 inches long. Had to cut off some of each end to remove the asym pieces to get squared-off ends. Foot end is stitched all the way across to prevent pad from sliding out. Added reinforced sections on the corners, and one in center of the foot end, with plastic d-rings for tie-outs. I will eventually add two small d-ring sections on the sides to match the side tie-outs on the HULBA (hoping this helps hold the sleeve in alignment with the rest of the hammock). More testing on this before I get that done.

Using 4 JRB self tensioners as a starting point to see how this thing hangs. Looped the line thru the d-rings using a tautline hitch for adjustment and the tensioner end hung thru the original sliding hook on the suspension line for the anchor. This gives two points for adjustment along each line. Note how the sleeve wraps the hammock without a load in first 2 photos. The BA Air Core mummy in the later photos causes the sleeve to expand a little.

First layout test indicates sleeve will be functional, as hammock and sleeve mated with no air gap/space. With the 2Q/ZQ mod 3 on this hammock, I could reach out and adjust the sleeve, just like with my UQ.

Problems identified so far: 1) need wider pad to fill out sleeve to edges; pad also need to be a long version
    2) May need a spreader bar on foot-end to hold sleeve in most open position????
    3) Sleeve has tendency to move around and slide from under hammock - hence the probable addition of the 2 d-rings along the sides to help anchor the sleeve beneath the hammock.

Comments and suggestions welcome. More testing and pictures to follow in time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Very clever, Rockdawg! Looking forward to your field testing info.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Rockdawg, looks good. Try a length of elastic cord just going above your hammock to suspend your new underquilt. This worked better for me than going full distance with a length of string. It seemed to minimize the amount of travel my underquilt could move. Just a thought, nice looking set up you got. my 2 cents.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Rockdawg, looks good. Try a length of elastic cord just going above your hammock to suspend your new underquilt. This worked better for me than going full distance with a length of string. It seemed to minimize the amount of travel my underquilt could move. Just a thought, nice looking set up you got. my 2 cents.
    Thanks for idea on elastic cord. Will try some different methods of hanging this pad sleeve from the hammock suspension line. My UQ will fit underneath this setup
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    If you can attach the undercover to the two tie-off points on the hammock that should keep it from moving too far out of whack. Using 4 points would be better, but just those two would help. Maybe sew a couple tabs on the undercover and use some bungie to go to the tie-off points. I did this with a diy hammock and it helped a lot in keeping the uq in place.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    If you can attach the undercover to the two tie-off points on the hammock that should keep it from moving too far out of whack. Using 4 points would be better, but just those two would help. Maybe sew a couple tabs on the undercover and use some bungie to go to the tie-off points. I did this with a diy hammock and it helped a lot in keeping the uq in place.
    Exactly what I had planned for the 2 points. Agree 4 would be better for stability.
    With all these strings, after a while I'll have spaghetti. Someone else will need to bring the meatballs.
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Great job,,, very nice

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Continuation of development. See photos in initial post above for pad sleeve under the HULBA. This section shows addition of Landau foam pad.

First Test in the woods completed. Spent the weekend at Standing Indian Campground, NC for 1 night and 2 nights at Hot Springs, NC at SEHHA group hang. New pad sleeve worked well. No slipping around beneath the hammock and no cool spots. But it is a bulky solution to the cold weather problem. Temps were in the low 60's at night so not an adequate cold weather test - yet!!!!!

See pics below for new pad and sleeve combo. Bought some 1/4" Landau foam and cut it to fit tight inside the sleeve, about 27-inches wide. I still have an equal amount of Landau left over so I could make a sandwich 1/2" thick for more insulation. I have added a couple of tie-outs to the sleeve to match the side tie-outs on the HULBA to stabilize the pad sleeve.

Pad and sleeve fold up around the HULBA with no air gaps under the torso but spreads out at foot to leave some air space. I think I could tighten that up by using the middle d-ring at the foot end to tie up the middle of the sleeve to the suspension line. Not used this trip since temps due to warmer temps.

More experimentation to come with colder weather. Next problems: 1)solve the spaghetti mess of lines that go with this setup; 2) solve the bulk problem for backpacking.

Testing the foam for rebound from being folded into a small size to see if that works in reducing packaging for backpack. Total weight of sleeve, pad, and lines is 1 lb 6 ozs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rockdawg69

Images
    Impressive! Maybe I can do something similar using mine for an UC for my non-HH hammocks ( already have an UC for my HH with the SS) and UQs! Used with a SB/vapor barrior on top of a pod or quilt, and this on the outside, it might be a pretty darn good weather shield! Or even without a VB, but leaving some distance between them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Impressive! Maybe I can do something similar using mine for an UC for my non-HH hammocks ( already have an UC for my HH with the SS) and UQs! Used with a SB/vapor barrior on top of a pod or quilt, and this on the outside, it might be a pretty darn good weather shield! Or even without a VB, but leaving some distance between them.
    Probably would work out for any gathered-end hammock. Might even be better with something like the BMBH where the pad/UC would spread out better than mine. But alas, double layer hammocks are probably much more efficient than this rig (total weight and ease of use).

I just can't afford another hammock!!!!!!!
    Rockdawg69

• + New Posts