Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles

Winter Hammock Camping

I have a question about winter hanging. I have not done any Hammock camping as of yet. My question is "Why do you like winter hanging?" I have not done any winter camping of any sorts. Just curious to see the reasons.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I am relatively new to winter camping, I enjoy a few things: no bugs, quiet, no bugs, the woods has a much different/clean look, no bugs and finally a different sense of adventure.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Everybody and their mother camps and hikes in warmer weather. In winter, I usually have the woods to myself - it's just me and the critters.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I agree with the aforementioned reasons. One other to add is the ability to explore some areas is easier. One can walk right across what would usually be too swampy. Visibility through the leafless understory also enhances the ability to explore off trail.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I love snow - the more the better. I look forward to using my snowshoes all year! The sight of fresh snow in the pines and dead quiet can't be beat. I also like not carrying much water; you can camp anywhere away from water sources since you can just melt snow. No bugs. No rain gear. No mud.

It's more challenging, though. Slower, heavier, bulkier, etc. But it really makes you appreciate the ease of your next 70° hi/45° low trip

p.s. I'll admit, since my last winter trip, I felt like I lost some of my will to get out there in the cold. Maybe I'm just getting old! I don't know what it was exactly but just felt like it was too much effort. I think I need a good pick-me-up winter outting soon. But need a heck of a lot more snow!!!

And I just spent a ton on a 0° top quilt and under quilt set, so hopefully I don't give up winter camping!
    Last edited by OneClick; 01-22-2015 at 16:32.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I'll add some things not yet brought up. It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to do any Winter camping, so forgive me if my response is a bit heavy on nostalgia and enthusiasm.

We have very cushy lives compared to our forebearers, and most of us wouldn't survive away from society with our specialized modern skill sets.

There can be a great sense of accomplishment associated with the self-reliance required for backpacking/camping under even the nicest weather conditions. That sense of accomplishment goes up when the conditions are challenging and preparedness and survival skills play a much bigger role in your outing. It's higher stakes poker if you will, and the rewards are often commensurate with the risks.

No bugs was brought up already, but lots of other animal pests and threats to your food or your life become less active in the Winter.

You get the option of using other forms of locomotion, other muscles, and other skills to get where you're going than you can other times of the year. That change can be welcome. Snowshoes are awesome. Skiing is awesome. Snowmobiles are fun as hell, if you're the motorized type. I can only imagine that dogsleds are WAY awesome if you're a musher. Dogs or not, you can pull a pulk and justify some luxurious gear you might not be willing to lug other times of the year.

Since staying warm and dry is a bigger part of your day, you might spend less time out and about and more time puttering in camp. Extra camp time lets you exercise skills you might not make time for in better weather. It can be fun not having self-imposed pressure to make X miles in a day.

Lastly, snow can be a fantastic and abundant building material and insulator. Constructing walls, caves, benches, tables, paths and firepits can be a great way to spend time in camp, and it can contribute greatly to your comfort, warmth and the sense that you've built yourself a temporary home out there in the wild.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Winter is too long not to backpack and camp. The hushed and muffled forest and the moon off the snow at night is something that I crave. It stirs me.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Oh I forgot, sleeping 12+ hours in a warm hammock instead of shoveling my driveway.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Winter is too long not to backpack and camp.
    beat me to it....

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I love winter camping. I just started myself. I've always been a winter fan. Being in the woods in the winter is very serene. A sense of Quiet, Peace and Tranquility. Like others have said no bugs, less people etc.
    My last outing my biggest challenge was keeping things from freezing. I never really thought about bringing coolers to keep things from freezing. LOL!
    Here in Buffalo we try not to let the elements get in the way of having fun.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast