Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    HammockGear/Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Failed Winter Campout Test

Well... I tried.

I built my first Turtledog stand over the last two weeks, and finally got the chance to test it out last night. Out here in Colorado, it was supposed to drop to around 9 degrees, so I thought I would test out my hammock setup in cold weather for the first time. I have HammockGear's Burrow 20 and Phoenix 20, so I wanted to see how they could handle temps about 10 below their rating. (I also have their Incubator 0, but I wanted to see if I could push these lower) Since I was hanging in my backyard, I could just bail and go inside if things got too cold.

I got home from work around 11:30 and set everything up - it was 19 degrees. Since I hadn't tried camping out in winter before I had no idea how much to wear, so I put on a few layers, some thick socks and headed outside. I should also mention that this was only about my third night hanging at all, so I'm still figuring out and adjusting the underquilts and everything. I laid out there for a while trying to figure out if I could make it through the night, or if it would be too cold. My feet starting getting really cold so I wrapped them in one of my extra top layers. That helped for a while. Around 2, I started feeling cold all over. Just a little, but enough to know I would not be staying warm all night. That's when I decided to call it quits and head inside. It was only 14 degrees then, and with it supposed to drop even lower, I didn't want to risk it. In the morning I went out and checked my thermometer to find that it actually got down to 8 degrees. I really wanted to make it through...

Last night was a great learning experience for me, and I think with a better layering system I could've made it. I'll try again this weekend when temps are supposed to be in the 30s. That should give me more of a margin for error, and hopefully I'll figure it all out some more! Next time I'll beat the cold weather... next time.

10750497_601335936701_5731512570305765688_o.jpg
    (I added my tarp after this pic)

Hammock
    Grand Trunk nano w/ whoopies!
    Tarp
    11'x14' silnylon
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    3/4"wbbng tggl whp
    Nice stand! I am surprised to hear your tale played out like it did. Sorry that you didn't meet your goal, but like you pointed out, it is a great learning experience.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    At least you were in your backyard! I'd dare call it a success since it got so much colder than your gear was designed to and you lasted several hours

I did a similar test this past weekend, only difference was that I was in a forest many miles from home. If your test was a fail, I'm not sure what mine qualifies as ... Massive mega fail perhaps?

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    You said you were using the Pheonix 20*. Were you using a pad for under your feet or just hoping the TQ would keep your feet warm enough? You didn't say, so I thought I'd check.

Also, with layers, especially on your feet, it's important to make sure the layers are loose enough to constrict blood flow. If the nice, warm blood can't reach the toes well because the socks are too tight, your feet will always get cold regardless.

And remember...it wasn't a fail attempt. It was a learning experience as to what to work on. I doubt any of us had a 100% successful first attempt.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    Also, with layers, especially on your feet, it's important to make sure the layers are loose enough to constrict blood flow. If the nice, warm blood can't reach the toes well because the socks are too tight, your feet will always get cold regardless.
    Very true. What was the wind like?
    --- Bill ---

Images
    Hi ihavea4,
    Good report. Looks like you are figuring it all out. I've used 20 degree quilts to there rating and a bit lower but have always wore my around camp over clothing to bed.
    Big hooded down coat, thin wool gloves and insulated over pants. That seems to extend the quilt range to about 10. After that you really do need thicker quilts.
    A breathable underquilt protector will also really help hold your heat in your UQ so that might be worth trying. Thanks for the report.

Hammock
    DIY/Blackbird XLC (soon)
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    HammockGear/Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    You said you were using the Pheonix 20*. Were you using a pad for under your feet or just hoping the TQ would keep your feet warm enough? You didn't say, so I thought I'd check.
    Ah, good question. I did have a little inflatable pad under my feet. There wasn't much wind, maybe a little breezy. I think the main thing was I only had some thin layers on and more than likely my underquilt wasn't adjusted right. That's my biggest focus right now is figuring that thing out! I'm sure things will go much smoother next time, and I'll have an extra pair of socks or two plus more layers with me in the hammock. I think figuring out the layers is almost as tricky as the underquilt haha.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good job trying it out at home. I found that I could never stay warm enough in the winter with a 2/3 quit. I have numerous Incubators (another one today, in fact) and prefer them in the cold.

+1 on the UQP. They add about 10* for me.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    It's good that you gave it a shot and you're still optimistic. The learning curve is steep, but you'll find a way to make it work eventually. Keep tinkering and good luck!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi ihavea4,
    Good report. Looks like you are figuring it all out. I've used 20 degree quilts to there rating and a bit lower but have always wore my around camp over clothing to bed.
    Big hooded down coat, thin wool gloves and insulated over pants..............
    (my emphasis added in bold)

Quote Originally Posted by ihavea4 View Post
    Ah, good question. I did have a little inflatable pad under my feet. There wasn't much wind, maybe a little breezy. I think the main thing was I only had some thin layers on and more than likely my underquilt wasn't adjusted right. That's my biggest focus right now is figuring that thing out! I'm sure things will go much smoother next time, and I'll have an extra pair of socks or two plus more layers with me in the hammock. I think figuring out the layers is almost as tricky as the underquilt haha.
    Good learning experience there, ihavea4! I can't remember the last time I slept less than toasty, and in recent years I just seem to be pushing things to see how little I can get by with. But my first shivering night at 22F in an HHSS was quite the different story. I had to abandon the hammock for a pad on the ground! (and then slept plenty warm). Though the next morning I was swearing I would never use a hammock again, I gave it a try again the next night, things went much better and I was converted. I have since used that same HHSS to be toasty way lower than 20F with minimal additions of stuff I would have with me anyway. Plus use various other down quilts and Pea Pods, all work just great.

But quilts(top or bottom) can be tricky with definite learning curves for lots of folks. What it almost always comes down to is some sort of draft or gap, top, bottom or both. Or, especially if your quilts are not differentially cut(not all are, I think at least your UQ is, don't know about top) but even if they are it is possible to have things too tight. With no dif cut too tight will crush loft, with it it might cause some sort of channel or gap that allows cold air in. But most likely you simple have one or more cold air leaks, the sort of thing that does not happen if you zip up in a mummy bag or have a PeaPod wrapped entirely around a hammock.

Then again, you were below the ratings of your quilts, from the moment you got out there. Still, with some good layering and perfect quilt adjustments and not causing some TQ gap/leak when you move, you should have been OK unless you are a way cold sleeper.

What was your head protection? I find this makes a huge difference for me. Whether I am using a separate JRB hood, or the faux hood of a PeaPod, it is just a huge difference. Just remember what you are giving up if you go from a mummy bag with neck collar and hood to a TQ. 20F rated TQs usually have about the same loft or thickness on top as a 20F rated mummy bag, but they are missing the hood/collar as well as a draft free zipper. So if you have not done that already, you need to account for the missing thick insulation of a mummy bag, and make sure you are not causing any leaks when you toss and turn, if you do.

Good luck, keep experimenting, many of us have been able to use our quilts below rating and most likely, if you are not a super cold sleeper, you will also. In the unlikely event that you just can't work it out, before giving up and going back to ground, as a last resort consider going to a Speer PeaPod or PolarPod, or even to a bridge hammock in order to keep your quilts. I just personally find pods more fool proof with gathered hammocks(personal opinion) and with TQs and UQs I personally find it way easier to use them in a bridge hammock. There is always, for me, way less debate about whether I have my UQ adjusted correctly if using a bridge hammock, and I seem to have way less trouble staying draft free with the TQ. Others may see it differently of course, and probably do. So, YMMV. Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast