Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help on a DIY Hammock

Hello all

I want to build a hammock that is more suited to my local conditions. I have two questions for the hammock DIY community

1. how much weight can a single layer of 1.9 oz ripstop nylon hold, i weigh 130kg wet (it rains a lot)
    2. I was going to add a second layer of 1.1 oz ripstop nylon to stop mozzies from biting through the fabric, is this a feasible option?

any comments would be greatly appreciated. this is my first DIY and I'm looking forward to it (if it is feasible)

Hammock
    Several homemade.
    Tarp
    Homemade coated ri
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Heavy duty : )
    Images
    I'm not too sure what the weight capacity of the 1.9oz ripstop might be, but I made one with two layers of 1.1 oz and the mosquitos bit right through that. I've had them go all the way through the hammock and a light summer sleeping bag. Of course the bag was compressed under me.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    See here for a good chart as to what the comfort weight for a given combination of hammock cloth is.

A single layer 1.9 oz might not be the best choice for 130 kg. If you were considering double layering anyway, you may be better off doing a double layer of 1.6. It'll add the second layer for the bug protection you want although a bug net will do a lot more for you than that (if the bugs can't get near the hammock, they can't bite through the hammock). It'll also possibly give you a bit more comfortable hang.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Build a fronkey style bugnet. Then the Mosquitos can not get to the hammock!

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    If I was you, I'd go for wither double 1.9, double 1.6 diamond nylon ripstop (like HyperD), or a combination of heavier and lighter like 1.9 and 1.1 regular ripstop or 1.6 and 1.0 nylon diamond ripstop.

I second the Fronkey style bugnet. Great design, but it works best with a underquilt.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by taipan821 View Post
    Hello all

I want to build a hammock that is more suited to my local conditions. I have two questions for the hammock DIY community

1. how much weight can a single layer of 1.9 oz ripstop nylon hold, i weigh 130kg wet (it rains a lot)
    2. I was going to add a second layer of 1.1 oz ripstop nylon to stop mozzies from biting through the fabric, is this a feasible option?

any comments would be greatly appreciated. this is my first DIY and I'm looking forward to it (if it is feasible)
    Have you used permethrin on the hammock body to keep the mozzies off?
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Build a fronkey style bugnet. Then the Mosquitos can not get to the hammock!
    While I see some benefit in a stand alone mozzie net, I have yet to have a mozzie bite through two layers of fabric. i'm also worried that i'll pack and forget the bug net, ruining a hike. so I am opting for an attached bug net. with the comments thus far I'm thinking a double hammock using 1.9 oz and 1.6 oz nylon

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The 1.6oz HyperD and NylonD would be plenty strong in a double layer - no need to use 1.9oz. The NylonD has a rating of 285 lbs / 129 kg. I think the HyperD is even stronger.

Hammock
    Several homemade.
    Tarp
    Homemade coated ri
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    Heavy duty : )
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post

I've used permethrin for years on my hammocks and bug nets and it's the best. I believe my mixture was 2 oz. of 10% permethrin to a gallon of water, then dunk the hammock and net into the bucket to saturate everything. Air dry and you're good to go. It basically paralyzes them as soon as they land on it. As long as it's dry, it's not harmful to humans. They used to sell it at Home Depot, but now the only place I've seen it is at Tractor Supply at $19.99 a quart. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...se-spray-32-oz

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    No, though I use DEET repellents so i have no need to treat my hammock. i take the outer layer of clothes off and leave them nearby, creates a zone. some mozzies still get through but not enough to worry about treating. aslo i have not seen permethrin for sale around where I live

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast