Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which pad to use?

Hello everyone. I need a little help. I am looking for suggestions on a closed cell foam pad to use in my hammock. I have an ENO double nest hammock. I use a Sierra designs backcountry bed (800 fill Dridown) which has a pad sleeve that'll fit a 20" pad, any thickness. I am looking for something lightweight and not a huge amount of bulk as I am attempting a thru hike of the AT and will be carrying it a long distance. My pack is an Osprey Exos 58 if that makes any difference for packability.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Gossamer Gear has some closed cell pads. Jacks R Better has some torso pads too. Someone who has hiked the AT will have to advise what thickness would be best or the advisability of relying on pads for the hike.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    There is discussion about pads here too: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Favorite-Foams
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Thank you grannypat

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I don't mean to be a downer, but a 20" pad sleeve will probably end up being too narrow for comfort. I have a suspicion you'll need something wider at least around the hip and shoulders. I did a couple hundred miles on the AT last April in an Eno DN with a 24" wide inflatable pad and a 15 degree down sleeping bag (in an Exos 46 no less, so we have a lot of gear overlap between us). It was a challenge to stay warm <45 degrees. I've since invested in an underquilt. No arrangement of pads (either CCF or inflatable) worked well for me, and I've tried at least five different kinds. Now they are backups or supplemental insulation to my down UQ. CCF is also pretty bulky for a thru.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have brought an UQ and might have picked up a cheap pad just to bring along for the segment through the Smokies where you might get forced into a shelter.

If you're sure you want to proceed with a pad, use this Google search to learn more about extending the width of it to be more comfortable:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8

If you haven't done so already, you'll want a plan for both bug protection and a tarp for rain/snow/wind.

Thank you DanglingModifier for the great info! I will give an UQ some more thought. I'm really torn...
    My most recent thoughts have been to just use a pad. I don't want to go without a pad. I believe it will be necessary for shelters, hostels possibly and if I'm forced to ground for any reason. I also thought it silly to carry the weight of both a pad and UQ; which is what I'd do if I were to use an UQ. I certainly don't wanna be cold. I'm also concerned with using an air pad because if it fails I'm really screwed! I guess I have some perfecting to do this year!
    Oh, I have an ENO Bug net and warbonnet Superfly (the newer one with the doors sewn in...I love it!). Thanks again for the valuable advise.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Some wise person here told me that a lot of folks spend a lot of time thinking about all the ways to avoid buying an under quilt. I'm guilty too, but once I got my HG Phoenix, I never gave the pad a second thought. I haven't backpacked much lately, but if I do take a pad just in case it will be minimal.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I should have added that I use a small pad for my feet in the hammock since my UQ is torso length. I might take a slightly larger one if I think I'll be forced to sleep on the ground. Shudder!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow (Double)
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 Burr 0
    Suspension
    1 inch Straps
    Images
    I am a side sleeper who turns over several times a night. The pad just would not work. Might be somewhat better with a sleeve but I now swear by my JRB Mt. Washington. I have used it on both my ENO DN and my Hennessey and never had a bad night's sleep.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I hope this is the correct thread for this question.I currently plan to shelve my HH Expedition for a WBBB 1.1 double layer hammock with cinch buckles(tried whoopies,they're not for me...).I have both styles of Walmart pad,plain blue and the other more egg crate style,plus the HHSS foam pad,and the newer HH silver bubble pad which I have not yet tried out.I would like some input from you WBBB hangars as to what is the most optimal pad to use in the pocket?Note,I do have a JRB winter nest which worked like a charm on my Dutch argon winter hammock.I plan to leave them coupled up and go with just a pad for bug season hangs in the WBBB.Any and all input is appreciated.Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast