WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps

Down question...

I have never pulled the trigger on a down bag because I was afraid of it getting wet. Seems like every time I go...it rains. Lets say I'm able to keep a down uq/tq out of the river and out of the rain. How much does high humidity affect the down? I know the new down thats treated should be better, but what about the older versions?

Images
    The number 1 rule for a down owner is keep it dry at all costs. That takes some effort on your part to consider all ways your down could get wet.
    As for humidity I have never had an issue and I have never used anything but the regular untreated goose down.
    I grewup in Huntsville so I know about the humidity you speak of.

hth

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I'm an enormously wet sleeper and hiker (just ask anyone who's seen me in above 50* weather with a pack on); down works just fine for me. The ability of the down to pass moisture through it via temperature differential (even in cool, wet weather where the dew point is right next to the air temp) is insane.

As an example, at FHV this past weekend, I rolled into camp on my bike in ~50* rain (I'd been in the rain for the previous three hours and was soaked to the bone). I set up my hammock in the rain with no undercover (I use a minimalist asym tarp, one that requires an undercover to keep the hammock dry in blowing rain) due to the lack of wind. I then went and sat around the fire with a few folks for hours in the continuing light rain. I never dried out that night, and when I got back to my hammock there was quite a bit of standing water on the M50 shell of my underquilt from drips at the edge of my tarp. It got down to the mid-40s that night and didn't stop raining until just before dawn; the fog was thick enough that I woke thinking that I should be in an horror movie.

I slept well and warm, with no wetting out on the quilts.

Moisture buildup in continuing conditions like those might be an issue. If you plan on being out for more than a week or two at a clip, in wet (read: "constant rain and fog with no let up"), cold weather with no chance to air the quilts out in either the sunshine or dry nights, it may behoove you to continue with synthetics. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. You won't experience enough loss of loft over the course of a week or two (unless you soak your quilts) for it to matter.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Along most of the Gulf Coast, humidity is an issue. I look outside today and see what things are like after three days of rain, even when temps never got below 40*. Every dangting is wet, including the air, and it ain't likely nto get dry for a couple of days. Its a problem in summer when its hot enough to steam moisture out of everything that will hold it so the humidity hangs in the air like a blanket, and its a problem in winter b/c it never freezes and falls to the ground. Because temps are not likely to get below 40* for +/- 300 days out of the year, and below freezing for less than that, (and those days are rarely consecutive for more than 3 or 4 days) I recommend going with a 30* synthetic quilt (5.0 Climashield APEX is my preference) with a decent DWR outer shell (my preference is Duro Epsilon b/c it is also wind and abrasion resistant). Any time sleeping temps go below 35* I wear a good insulated base layer, and if they go below 30* I'll bite the bullet and take a CCF pad----or just plan the trip for the next weekend which is likely to be in the 70's.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Last hike for me was Ellicott rock (ga,nc,sc)in just above freezing rain. I used a silnylon under cover and tarp closely pitched to the hammock and was perfectly warm with my down top quilt.

The one before that was a family tent trip where a little water got in around the edges and got my quilt moist. Still no problems staying warm on day 1 or 2.

As long as you don't push the time or completely soak the quilt you're fine.

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    I've seen these new UQ protectors made from Silnylon, and i think they are a good idea. simple air moisture shouldn't be a problem, but if you sweat in your sleep I'd suggest a simple moisture barrier between your hammock and UQ, a Space Blanket would be perfect for this. I for one am torn between using Down and this new stuff called Insultex which is like a fabric bubble wrap. For down here where is gets beloe freezing like once or twice a year, this would work for me.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    First rule with down is to keep it DRY!!! but todays downs are a lot more forgiving... Check out this thread on our HyperDRY down, most of the DWR downs in high fill power perform well.

LAUNDRY DAY - FUN WITH HyperDRY
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS &amp; DIY UQ
    Images
    Look for down treated with a durable water repellent. It will help keep the down dry much longer.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    I've seen these new UQ protectors made from Silnylon, and i think they are a good idea. simple air moisture shouldn't be a problem, but if you sweat in your sleep I'd suggest a simple moisture barrier between your hammock and UQ, a Space Blanket would be perfect for this. I for one am torn between using Down and this new stuff called Insultex which is like a fabric bubble wrap. For down here where is gets beloe freezing like once or twice a year, this would work for me.
    I've done both. However, I found that 3-layer Insultex does not work for me. The temperature gradient between the inner and outer layers on it isn't steep enough to prevent condensation towards the bottom end of its comfort range. I woke up soaked a couple of times; fortunately, I was in spots where getting dry safely wasn't a problem.

With a space blanket, a down underquilt, and a poncho/undercover, I've found that my body heat keeps the space blanket's inner surface warm enough that condensation doesn't form. At least, that's been my experience so far. That includes several nights in the high forties (my UQ is a 20*) with constant rain all night and at least four nights in the 25-35* range with heavy fog and/or light rain.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts