WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing

Adirondack group hang?

Has there ever been one? I'm talking MAHHA scale. Seems like we could find a spot somewhere in the six million acres.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Two things working against you - not a lot of ADK hangers, and excessive travel time for those who don't live in the Adirondacks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

For what it's worth I'm down in NYC but I'd try to make that drive up - the Daks are beautiful!

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    It is a great idea, one that has been considered before but never brought to fruition (largely due to a driving force to follow it through). There are a few logistics that would need to be worked out, primarily the rule where you are only able to have 6 (or a limited number similar) at a site without an organized permit. I am all for the idea and would certainly help to the degree I could to make it come alive but I do not have the time to be the driving force.

I am sure DuctTape will contribute (validating/correcting my # of people allowed before permitting) as well as his thoughts on this subject.

I hope this goes somewhere,

Rob
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Two things working against you - not a lot of ADK hangers, and excessive travel time for those who don't live in the Adirondacks.
    I completely disagree with you.. There's at least 100 people I can think of who live within 2 hours of the Dacks... Hell I can name 25+ who live within 30 miles of Albany NY... If you go farther (200 mile radius) You get:

NYC, Northern PA, Northern Jersey, Southern Maine, Ottawa, and Montreal Canada, and all of Mass, VT, NH, and CT. That's using Lake George as the center point. Right there along I-87.. 3-4 hours isn't that long of a drive for a hang.

The problem is finding a spot to do it. I've toyed with the idea of setting up a small (<40 person) hang in the Dacks before.. but there's no real established campgrounds capable of supporting that number of hangers.. most private campgrounds do not allow anything to be attached to trees period, and anything backcountry would quickly count out most of the "car campers".

Honestly though, If there was going to be a place to do it.. there's only one place I can think of: Moose River Plains Wild Forest. Drive in access... Lots of sites.. Free... But it lacks a large "group" area. Still.. it's something I'd be willing to get in on.. and help setup.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Group size limit is 9 without a permit. Permits will not be granted in Wilderness areas.

Best way to accomplish a large scale group hang is to use a state camground and small groups get adjacent sites. Downside is availability of good trees in those sites.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Group size limit is 9 without a permit. Permits will not be granted in Wilderness areas.

Best way to accomplish a large scale group hang is to use a state camground and small groups get adjacent sites. Downside is availability of good trees in those sites.
    thanks brother!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I also agree with the moose river plains. It can be done there with some creativity and still be within regulations.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I love Moose River!!!!!!!! That is where I decided to become a hammock camper.
    I thought I had camping down to a comfort science. We called it "camp Comfort".
    So I roll in Wednesday morning first to get there. I get the site across the bridge right next to the dam. The rest of the crew was showing up Thur and Friday. I got som great kayaking in all day and settled in to camp for the night. My camp was a 4 man tent with a self inflating King size air bed. Really roughing it. lol So it starts to down pour all night long. I wake up freezing cold. My comforter is soaking wet and so was I. Step out of bed into 3" of water in the tent. UGG!!! Well throughout the weekend everyone else except one guy showed up with hammocks. I just looked at them and said "Yeah, I can see where that might be useful." LOL Well 6 months later and $3000 lighter here I am.
    I would love to go back there!
    Oh by the way. I have a Kni-co Alaska Jr stove arriving Monday and a Smokehouse custom hammock shelter is being built right now..
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    I'm driving 7.5 hours to get to MAHHA so I figured others would do the same to get here!

I'm not familiar with Moose River. I'm way up north. Meacham State Campground has a ton of sites and a beautiful lake but it's way up here with me! Fish Creek is another big State campground but I haven't been there to say what it's like.

So, maybe we go smaller? I've got some experience with event logistics having done Special Olympics events for quite a few years.
    If people think a smaller event is doable Id be willing to work on that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast