Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition 2.5

Replacing Expedition 2.5 Tarp

Hello All,

I'm new to these forums, but some of you I may know from Backpacker's Gear forums or BackpackGearTest. I'm here today asking for hammock specific advice...

After a couple of years of only sparse use while I've enjoyed my Tarptent, I've decided to bring my HH back into my usualy shelter rotation as the very pleasent hammock-weather season in Florida approaches.

I'm looking to upgrade the tarp itself. There is nothing wrong with the one I have, the original one that come with the hammock, as I have re-applied the weatherproofing and mantained it properly.

What I was hoping to find is recommendations for a larger tarp for it. I spend a lot of time getting rained on and I'd like a larger tarp that would give me more space below my hammock for storage in wet weather. The important factor here is to keep the cost reasonable, while obviously still finding a quality product. So, anyone have any thoughts? Much appreciated.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, gdm320.

Can you be more specific about your price and size requirements?

On the high end, OES MacCats are probably the very best tarps and are available in both SilNylon and Spinnaker versions. The MacCat Deluxe size is particularly popular with HH hammocks. JRB, Speer, and Warbonnet each have hammock-specific tarp offerings as well, each in differing sizes and prices. For even cheaper, but less lightweight, the Sportsman's Guide tarps are talked about often.

Generally speaking, either the JRB 11x10 or Speer Winter Tarp are probably the best in terms of combining cost, weight, and size.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Don't forget that HH has come out with additional taprs, particularly the Hex tarp which is also very popular with the Hennessy crowd. I would call it a mid-line tarp. Not as classy as the OES and much more than a cut above the Sportsman Guide tarps.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition 2.5
    Thanks for the input guys.

AS, I'd be the first to tell ya if I knew what my space requirements would be... but I really don't know a whole lot about it. I never messed with my hammock setup beyond the standard stuff.

From what I have read, the 11x10 type size would be plenty for me.

Price is one of those things. I'd like to keep it at or under $100 if I can... only because I have trouble justifying the purchase anyway because of the success I've had with my Tarptent. I'm trying to have an economical but fully-functional option when I'm heading out.

Having said that, I like what I see from the OES link you provided. $130 isn't too bad... that might be something I can swing. The price of the upgraded HH tarps are a bright spot, but they look considerably heavier than the MacCat options.

Does anyone have experience with OES tarps in particular that could lend any advice?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    The price of the upgraded HH tarps are a bright spot, but they look considerably heavier than the MacCat options.
    They are indeed heavier than the OES gold standard. But not as heavy as the SG tarps which seem to approach, but not meet, the weight of the big box blue/brown poly tarps.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts