Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I started with a Hennessy Hex. Good solid tarp. Provides a lot of coverage and makes up for some inexperience in setting up. I gave it to my 12 year old son and it works well for him. I bought a WL Tadpole and have been extremely happy with it. I did go with the 12' ridgeline which is probably a l little overkill, but it does add a little cushion. I have been in three torrential downpours in it and have not gotten wet at all.

Hammock
    UW Multicam
    Tarp
    SF or Stars
    Suspension
    UCR's
    I have a WL Tadpole and a WB Superfly. I use the Superfly these days due to the doors being attached and the extra room it provides.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Ditto on the tadpole tarp. Just got one myself.
    Is it hang time yet?

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    I've been speaking to WL, and it turns out if I buy the fabric from Ripstopbytheyard and have it shipped to them, it will only cost 60 for the to make it in the color I want. Just letting you all know.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    [QUOTE=Nighthauk;1397298]. It has a 10' ridgeline and spreads almost as wide. QUOTE]

The Superfly has an 11' ridgeline.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Another tarp that might be a little heavy but is 4-season, apparently impervious to anything this side of a congressional subpoena, big enough for just about any tarp and usually found for $40-70 is the Kelty Noah 12' tarp. It can even be given a pole-mod if you choose to go that route, used in a way that it has doors, or left open for more breeze and can even swallow your hammock, your friends, and all the gear you want to keep dry.

Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas
    Sounds like you are all set, but in case other folks come in here to learn about beginner tarps, I thought I'd chime in. I got the Grand Trunk All Purpose Rainfly (APR, erroneously sold on Amazon as the Funky Forest Tarp). Here's why.

1. I like hanging out under my tarp when I'm not sleeping if it's rainy or super sunny. For this reason I shied away from the uber-light tiny tarps that will keep you dry in your hammock but are good for nothing else.

2. I like the square pattern because you can pitch it so many different ways. Diagonal for longest ridgeline, square for nice wide porch mode on both sides, square closer to the ground on one side to shield wind, from the extra edge tie-outs so you can pull the corners in for some doors (may be partial depending on size. It's a great all-purpose shape.

I heard good things about the Kelty Noah 9' and 12' but the Grand Trunk APR was 10' square and I just thought that was the right size for me. A 9' is a good size, certainly big enough for most uses, the diamond ridgeline would be 121.7'. The 12' just seemed too big to me, it has a ridgeline of 17' . Probably great for a true, 4-season choice. The 10' Gt APR has a ridgeline of about 14' (14.1 to be exact) and in true 3-little bears fashion, I chose that one. I'm sure someone makes an 11' square tarp, I just did not find it (15.5' ridgeline on the diamond pitch).

The Noah 9', GT APR, and Noah 12' at Amazon will run you $60, $67, and $70, shipped. Construction on the GT is great, and it is polyester, so it won't stretch. I'm not pushing the GT APR by any means, but it is very solidly made, and I consider it almost identical to the Noahs so it just fills out the too hot, too, cold, just right length choices. I'd recommend all three of these as good tarps to learn on and be creative with your pitches.

Here are some excellent square tarp pitches for the ground (could be useful if you have a midday downpour that should clear and you are not ready to pitch camp). Great article on why this is such a great design. I think a well-rounded backpacker should know how to use his gear on the ground anyway. Well worth the read.

http://sectionhiker.com/square-tarp-pitches/

8'x8' Jacks R Better square tarp in diamond over hammock from Jeff's Page. Certainly big enough to keep you dry in your hammock plus a little, but I'd want just a tad more.

050424JeffsTarpHammock.jpg

The Kelty Noah 9' in diamond also from Jeff's pages. Probably plenty big but I wanted a little more.

KeltyNoah.jpg

This one is from Terra Rosa Gear (don't know them) but it shows a 10' square tarp pitched on the inner tie-outs on one side showing how you can rig a door, other side is in porch mode.

IMG_2495.JPG

The Kelty Noah 12' in full winter mode

hammock_info_036.jpg

I would say this is a tarp type recommendation, not a tarp brand recommendation. I think the GT and Kelty are pretty equivalent on construction quality. I just think a 9-12' square setup with additional tie-outs along the edges and in the middle are very versatile "first tarps" for beginners, and you can get one for a bit less money than a more intricate design/material, yet still sell it later when you have your heart set on an "uber tarp".

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    I am really considering getting the Kelty Noah 12' because I could use it for the winter and sever rains here. And it is a good price for such a large tarp. It isn't Orange like I want, but at least it isn't camo and will stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    I am really considering getting the Kelty Noah 12' because I could use it for the winter and sever rains here. And it is a good price for such a large tarp. It isn't Orange like I want, but at least it isn't camo and will stand out.
    The one I got from amazon has orange grosgrain type material all the way around the edge and the kelty is in orange. It's pretty easy to see. I have a sort of write up I did from when I put all my zing-it on it. I'll edit in a minute and add the link. If you want cheap I suggest the noah 12. If you want light I would go with the super fly or the oes 4 season. The tie outs on the kelty are set up so you can pitch it in a 100 different ways. I would really suggest looking at what you really want. Are you gonna eventually upgrade? Is weight an issue? How often are you going to use the tarp? Do you want the extra room for gear storage? These will really help you decide. If you can swing the extra money or save a little more I would say get the super fly or oes and you won't regret it. If you need it fast and cheap and don't mind the weight get the Noah 12.
    Link to post: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/....php?p=1397531
    Last edited by bravoniner; 01-28-2015 at 15:59. Reason: No

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    My Noah 12 is also white with orange trim and logo's. The weight isn't great and it doesn't exactly pack to the size of a matchbox car but in terms of durability I think I'll get many years of use out of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast