BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Great reports and videos folks. The weather was crazy I'm sure everyone found the week link in their system. I was mickey in inat I made it through the winds and ice unscathed, no stake loss or tarp failures..lol... Next year ill hold a tarp pitching class lol. Just kidding. I can't post my pics from my phone. But L.D. Cakes second pic is my rig so their is atlease one pic to prove i was there, DaveyRay got me too. I'm sure others did as well. Great times Good people what more could anyone ask for
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    In the planning thread, Bonsiahiker made this request...
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker

Home Run (or anyone), would you do me a favor and have everyone make a decision on when the hang will happen next year? I have to ask for the time off by the 30th, and I want to be sure I don't guess wrong again.

Looking forward to the reports!

I found next years dates & had them with me at the hang, just forgot about it.

Here are the dates for the last two weekends in Jan, 2016

Fri-22
    Sat-23
    Sun-23

FRi-29
    Sat-30
    Sun-31

Think we could go ahead & set a date?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBRR/Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE/JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As one of the NOOB's, I want to say thanks to all of you winter hang veterans. From Lite foot calling me with all the helpful hints before the hang, all the fantastic food considering the conditions and the great camaraderie with everyone, I am already looking forward to the next group hang.
    BTW, the raffle was the best, I am ordering my Super Fly this morning. I have already installed the JRB snake skins, am working on the best use of the descending ring suspension plus trying to figure the best way to use the Whoopie Sling.
    Thanks again, Home Run for organizing.
    See you all next time,
    allhansondeck

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Great reports and pics! How were the roads getting there and getting back?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    58 was fine both ways. The park road was a mother story. Going in on Friday it was more slush than anything with a few slick spots. Leaving Sunday it was pretty much a sheet of ice from the county store all the way to the ranger station.it cleared up after the gate house. Leaving we encountered a group of 4 that wad stuck in the road trying to come up the mountain, homerun,graujay and I got them turned around and back down to safety at the ranger station parking lot. They weren't so much stuck as they where just not moving, I think they just had no idea what to do on ice acd couldn't get anywhere for sliding.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

Unhappy Missed Ya'll

Well all I can say is - Dang It! Planning begins - again!
    Glad everyone had a great time. Thanks for the driving vid Cakes. Loved the road views, but I think I would have had my eyes closed if I was riding along!!!!
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    58 was fine both ways. The park road was a mother story. Going in on Friday it was more slush than anything with a few slick spots. Leaving Sunday it was pretty much a sheet of ice from the county store all the way to the ranger station.it cleared up after the gate house. Leaving we encountered a group of 4 that wad stuck in the road trying to come up the mountain, homerun,graujay and I got them turned around and back down to safety at the ranger station parking lot. They weren't so much stuck as they where just not moving, I think they just had no idea what to do on ice acd couldn't get anywhere for sliding.
    Was it a small grey car with 2 or three folks in it? I saw them and on impulse started to stop them to tell them it wasn't a good idea to go any further but instead I just waved at them and thought "Good Luck"! Ha! I recon I should have gone with my first instinct.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    yea it was a small grey/silver car with 2 guys and 2 gals.

Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Was it a small grey car with 2 or three folks in it? I saw them and on impulse started to stop them to tell them it wasn't a good idea to go any further but instead I just waved at them and thought "Good Luck"! Ha! I recon I should have gone with my first instinct.

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles

Talking

Wow! What a great first group hang experience!

Thank you to you all who all helped make it a resounding success and a memorable weekend. A special mention to homerun, who took the reins and couldn't have done a better job. Also a big thank you to dogbone for hooking us up with camping chairs - it was very much appreciated. Everyone was so generous, nice, and helpful. Huge thanks to Marci and the rest of the rangers for the firewood, updates on the road conditions, and the general hospitality.

LoveDr & I barely made it up there in our rear wheel drive sedan on Friday, but finally made it around 6:45 and got set up in the dark. What greeted us was not only a warm fire, but a warm reception from all you nice folks! The low Friday night seemed right around freezing or just above as the ice was melting out of the trees. When I checked my thermometer at 8am Saturday it said 28F. It didn't warm up much Saturday, but the Sun did come out. Hickery was nice enough to lead many of us on a beautiful hike on the Wilson creek trail to see some amazing winter scenery and great waterfalls. The climb down and back up warmed us up. As the day progressed, the wind really picked up and all our gear was pushed to (and in the case of my DIY tarp, beyond!) the limits. My tarp RL tie-out tore out, probably in a 40-50mph gust, so heavier reinforcement fabric will be used in the future, along with more bartacks. Lesson learned.

The raffle was great to watch, and thank you to all the vendors who made very generous donations! The food was plentiful and SOOO tasty. I was very glad we skipped lunch!! How did allhandsondeck's wife know that cream cheese is my all-time weakness?! The famous homerun beans were truly incredible. Jalapeno cornbread and chili? What a great combo! LDCakes was rocking out the dutch ovens and while I didn't get any peach cobbler (darnit!), I did gulp down a fair amount of delicious apple cider. Thank you! All of the other dishes were amazing as well - both Goulashes were very tasty, as were the veggies maztrain brought. I was too full for a potato (sorry davyray), but I think an animal helped out overnight.

After trying not to slide too much going down the camp road on Sunday, we made it to the log house restaurant for some good eats and good company. Then on the way home we decided to take a turn onto the blue ridge parkway and take in some of the views. It was a beautiful clear winter day and we could see for miles and miles.

I didn't take a lot of photos or video, but I snapped a few on my phone:
    Here is a link: Google Photo Gallery

And 2 videos of the Wilson creek hike:

Oh, and LoveDr got not only her first taste of a group winter hang, but also got christened with her HF username. She had a great time and I'm sure we'll both be counting down the days to the next group hang in our area.

Thanks again to all who pitched in to make a successful event!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Very well said dimjim.
    Enjoyed the footage & the photos very much, as well as having y'all join us!
    Hope to see you at another hang.!
    Where was the pool of water?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast