Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    just remember (at least with the hennessys-i can't vouch for any others) that the hammock itself will stretch the first couple times you use it... you'll go to sleep fine, and wake up sagging... it's not you. it's just the fabric... after a couple more nights, it will have maxed out and won't stretch any more...
    What about the ropes? Somebody on one of the BGT reviews complained about the "memory" in the ropes. The ropes would stretch, but then when he got out to tighten, the rope would return to the same tension as before entering the hammock. Do the ropes ever stop stretching?
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-27-2007 at 23:56.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What about the ropes? Somebody on one of the BGT reviews complained about thr "memory" in the ropes. The ropes would stretch, but then when he got out to tighten, the rope would return to the same tensiona as bfore entering the mammock. Do the ropes ever stop stretching?
    Bill
    Welcome to the forum.

I started out with a HH using the stock sprectra and tree huggers. I did as the BGT guy did. I set up the hammock, got in the hammock for a minute or so, then got out and re-tightened the hammock. I saw the stock spectra stretch, but there was extra slack in it when I got out. It did not return back to its original state. After I retightened it, everything was fine.

I later cut most of the sprectra off and replaced it with straps and tied the speer 4 wrap knot. A lot easier for me than dealing with the spectra and tree huggers.

I now use a DIY hammock with straps.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I started out with a HH using the stock sprectra and tree huggers. I did as the BGT guy did. I set up the hammock, got in the hammock for a minute or so, then got out and re-tightened the hammock. I saw the stock spectra stretch, but there was extra slack in it when I got out. It did not return back to its original state. After I retightened it, everything was fine.

I later cut most of the sprectra off and replaced it with straps and tied the speer 4 wrap knot. A lot easier for me than dealing with the spectra and tree huggers.

I now use a DIY hammock with straps.
    Thanks for the welcome. I also much prefer the straps to the ropes and tree huggers. Can you tell me exactly how you replaced the ropes, or refer me to a link with the info? Cutting those ropes off and attemptin a replacement with straps sounds like a pretty radical step to take without detailed directions from someone who has already successfuly (SP?) done it!

Thanks
    Bill

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the forum BillyBob

I'm in the process of doing it myself. Search "Webbing" on this site for alot of info on this subject. I was still somewhat confused as to what direction to take in the process so I E-mailed Just Jeff and he expained things wonderfully. Remember to use 100% polyester thread. No cotton thread. The following is our e-mail talk:

> leaving about 2 feet of spectra remaining tied as is.
    > Is this a good amount of length to leave?

Depends on what you're doing with it. If you're just putting the webbing on, you can get by with only enough Spectra to tie a loop. But 2' might be enough to still use the tarp prussik loops on the Spectra, then use the webbing for securing the hammock to the tree.

Since I usually tie my tarp separately, I'd probably tie a loop in the Spectra as close to the hammock as I could, then trim the excess.

> I've read you say to sew a loop in the webbing. I
    > cant sew a lick. Should I tie a loop in the spectra
    > or the webbing? And what kind of knot should I tie?
    > And what kind of knot should I use to tie to the loop?

Cut the webbing, then take it to an alterations place and ask them to sew two overlapping box stitches. A box stitch is a rectangle with an X in the middle. Sew one, then start over and sew another one separately. It'll take 15 seconds each and probably cost you a few bucks.

The loop just needs to be big enough to easily put the webbing into...a two inches is plenty.

You can tie it, but it'll be a lot bulkier and use more webbing than you need. And tying webbing stresses it unevenly and may cause it to fail sooner. Or it may not depending on how the webbing ends up going through the knot, but the point is that it's not as simple as tying a cord when you're putting a big load on it. But if you do tie a knot, a simple overhand-on-a-bight will work. Or a bowline if you know how to tie one. Or you could use a double sheet bend might be even better.

So, to summarize - two easy options.
    1 - Get a seamstress to sew a small loop in the end of the webbing, then tie it onto the Spectra where you want it, then cut off the excess Spectra. This is how I'd do it.

Or

2 - Tie it on...lots of knot options.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Don't worry if you cannot sew. I did not sew anything before I started all my DIY projects. For the loop on the webbing for my HH I sewed 2 boxes with X's in the middle of each. I used it for around 10 nights after I did that without any problems. Next time I sew something like that I am just going to do 3 or 4 rows of zig zag stitches. I will do each row twice. I think that is what Ed Speer does on his hammocks.

Below are pics of what I did. I left more spectra on it in case I changed my mind. I also thought that left more room for field repairs if needed. I added drip strings on the sprectra. The webbing I used was thicker and heavier than needed. It caused the water to run down them. An easier way is just to roll the webbing once or twice and the water will run off of the strap.

I now use the webbing from Ed Speer's site.

Let me know if you need a little clearer pic or directions.

Images
    Thanks for all the helpful info, HE and FF!
    Bill

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    just a quick question guys - been thinking about converting to straps but have been hesitating due to the potential weight gain and bulk of the straps...
    what length do you use on each end and what is the weight increase?
    i have made my own tree huggers that are 7 ft long instead of the super short 4 ft stock. on small trees i am able to use them in the same fashion with ed's wrap technique but just barely since there is not a lot of slack and im a knot geek who is skeptical about wraps to begin with. my straps are pretty hefty poly 1inch webbings and weight in at about 8-10 oz (can't remember) for both.
    one of the reasons i like the strap idea is the real clean look, as seen in the master hammockers pic above

thanks

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    www.speerhammocks.com

Webbing, Polypropylene Protects trees, recommend 2 @ 12' ea for hammock;
    1" Wide, 700 lb breaking strength (supports up to 250 lbs in hammock), black, low-memory stretch; 24' weighs 5 oz; $0.20/ft
    1.5" Wide, 1,050 lb breaking strength (supports up to 350 lbs in hammock), black, low-memory stretch; 24' weighs 7.5 oz; $0.25/ft
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    just a quick question guys - been thinking about converting to straps but have been hesitating due to the potential weight gain and bulk of the straps...
    what length do you use on each end and what is the weight increase?
    i have made my own tree huggers that are 7 ft long instead of the super short 4 ft stock. on small trees i am able to use them in the same fashion with ed's wrap technique but just barely since there is not a lot of slack and im a knot geek who is skeptical about wraps to begin with. my straps are pretty hefty poly 1inch webbings and weight in at about 8-10 oz (can't remember) for both.
    one of the reasons i like the strap idea is the real clean look, as seen in the master hammockers pic above

thanks

I like my straps long. The 1" Speer webbing I have weighs in at about 8oz for 40'. I have about 20 feet on each side of the hammock. I am the execption on that, most people use something closer to 15' or less. The tress in my back yard are pretty thick. I had problems using the stock HH system on them. I figured that if I had problems in my backyard, then I would have problems in the field.

I also think that the longer straps give me more options. One thing that you will find is that the longer you hammock, the more you look for "fun" places to hang. Now the trees are the limiting factor and not the length of the straps. I also have long tie outs and guy lines on my tarp.

One thing I did before I cut the stock spectra was tie a loop in the spectra where I was going to cut it and attach the webbing. I then hang the hammock a few times and a few different ways to make sure this is what I wanted. Then I cut them.

I will have to weigh my tree huggers and spectra I cut off sometime. I think the weight would be really close.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    master hammockers pic above
    Thanks for the compliment. I just read everything I can find and ask lots of questions on things I am interested in. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast