Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I know I'm new to the hammock scene but can you get away with using a smaller diameter cord as described in the original post. I have been rock climbing for quite a few years and 8mm seems to be a bit over kill for a hammock, I'm not sure how the hammock is being stressed with the whipping around the cord , But is a larger diameter cord needed for such whipping?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Thanks. Here's the video:
    www.canadaka.net/link.php?id=7504
    SWINGER would be nice name for that bear! I wonder if we could make him/her/it a member of the forum!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thesleepingcoyote View Post
    I know I'm new to the hammock scene but can you get away with using a smaller diameter cord as described in the original post. I have been rock climbing for quite a few years and 8mm seems to be a bit over kill for a hammock, I'm not sure how the hammock is being stressed with the whipping around the cord , But is a larger diameter cord needed for such whipping?
    I am not sure of the rating of that rope. I use stuff rated to 1400 lbs to attach to my rings, the rings and soon to be biners have a rating well over 2000 lbs, and my webbing has a rating over that of my rope.

I would feel safe with anything over 1000 lbs. I think others use 700 lbs or so. The engineer in me has to add a huge saftey factor though.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    They gave me the thicker cord for the price of the smaller cord, and being the cheap skate that I am, I took it (the available color for the smaller was yucky and I was stalling, and it was close to closing time...). The heavier cord is for the thingie, and a smaller diameter for this short a length would not buy you anything weight wise.

The whipping is much smaller in diameter, but it needs to be thick enough not to cut into the hammock body.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    you don't need much strength for whipping. i've used 2 or 3 mm accessory cord from the climbing section as well as mason's line (as in brick mason).
    but for the hammock support you need to be sure you have the strength to keep you off the ground. but yeah, 8mm is more than you need.
    if you get the climbing accessory cords w/ spectra (starlin?) you could probably use 3mm.... 4mm for sure. ..tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The main reason I put the "thingy" on my HH clone was so that the ridge line would be inside the hammock and would not interfer with with my zip-on top covers. I used some of the Spectra line that I cut off my HH.

There are some pics of the "thingy" and how I incorporated it into my HH clone in this thread.

If you are not sewing the ends on the hammock together, creating the short tubes on each end, you shouldn't even need the "thingy" IMHO.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I have my ridgeline inside the whipping, but I don't have it attached tot he SS.

I use old shoes strings for whipping.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    When I use the standard Speer-type whipping technique I attach my ridge line to the support strap right where it joins the hammock body.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast