Hammock
    HH exped asym zip
    Tarp
    DIY "Penta-tarp"
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex
    Suspension
    G-clips, rings
    Has anyone collected the MSDS info for the various brands of permethrin? If all the difference is in the solvent, it should be pretty easy to figure out which is the best for the gear. Personally if its good enough to put on an animal, its good enough to put on me. (species specific toxicity aside)

Permethrin is so needed down here in Mississippi that I use it even though I have cats, to whom it is deadly until it dries.

Any idea how much of a headache it is to keep that much gear safely away from cats for a day or two while it dries? It's worth the trouble and then some.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I did a search of past discussions on insect control Permethrin in particular. There are several threads, I can not find the thread on using permethrin designed for use on livestock. However I am sure this link will be of interest and probably someplace has a discussion on using the livestock mix for human's. I found the discussions helpful in making a decision on what to use for my gear.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ferrerid=23154
    I hope this link works, I am not sure how to do this and my vision is going quickly this morning.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnosticmoron View Post
    Permethrin is so needed down here in Mississippi that I use it even though I have cats, to whom it is deadly until it dries.

Any idea how much of a headache it is to keep that much gear safely away from cats for a day or two while it dries? It's worth the trouble and then some.
    As long as you have a room that you can close up and keep closed, so that the cats can't get at the gear, it's easy enough. A box or floor fan helps with drying time, for sure.

I've been treating with permethrin for close to four years now, and none of my cats are any more neurotic than they were when I started.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    thunderbird/ridgerunner
    Tarp
    modded superfly
    Insulation
    ugq 20/hg burrow
    Suspension
    cinch bling
    I used it on my skeeter beater and had no problems. I used the sawyer spray but now I bought the concentrate and dilute it. I plan on making my own solution and just reuse the sawyer bottle . It's a whole lot cheaper with minimum effort. I didn't see any bugs near my hammock on my last trip. I sprayed all my gear and clothes with no problems. This might be a game changer for me because where I usually go its tick city. I'm getting set up to spray my stuff again this week to go on a camp out coming up. I will continue to use permethrin until I find it doesn't work. Just make sure to get the stuff with no petroleum in it. Run the msds before you buy it.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by rasbuyaka View Post
    I have a GT skeeter beeter pro, and am going Cumberland Island in early April. I've been 2 years in a row in February, the second time was after recent rains, and no-see-ums and ticks were pretty intense. I expect it to be worse in April. Friends' accounts from May/June are that they blot out the sun. My outer wear will be sprayed with Permethrin, i have Skin So Soft for no-see-ums (anybody have any better suggestions? Deet doesn't deter the little blighters and i don't want it on my skin). These should be sufficient for bodily protection.

The real question at hand is: Is Permethrin safe to use to treat my bug net?
    Because besides no-see-ums, the big thing down there is tree ticks. Hand to God, last year i was talking about how they sense your CO2 and drop down from trees, was pointing at my arm, and AND ONE LANDED ON MY ARM MID-SENTENCE. Smaller than a pinhead. You can hear them plinking off your tent at night, like tiny raindrops. This my first time hammock camping, and i'm worried about them climbing down my suspension in the night and being opportune when I exit in the am. Same with gathered no-see-ums and skeeters.

Has anyone treated their bug net with Permethrin? I have a UQP/UQ for the hammock itself, but under no circumstance are you supposed to use it on heavy-skin-contact clothing or gear. But contact-wise i think the bugnet might be ok. My main worry is whether or not i'm safe from fumes and short-term contact, even if the Permethrin has dried. Any experience on treating bug nets, or recommendations?
    I haven't heard about fumes from dried permethrin. The commercial bug repellent clothing contains permethrin. It's pretty safe. The only place I wouldn't use it is underwear, other than that I think it's safe.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Why do people seem to think it's not safe to use on underwear?

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    Well, I wouldn't use them on the bottom part of socks either. Underwear and bottom of socks are among the warmest, most moist parts of the body, hence the most likely place for it to leach out of.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I treat my hiking clothes, including socks and my hammock bug net with Sawyer's permethrin at the beginning of every season. Works great! Know what else is great? A Thermacell. I also kayak fish and if you've ever been around mangroves at dawn, you know that no-seeums and mosquitos will make you want to rip your flesh off! I turn on the Thermacell, while loading my gear in my kayak and within 10 minutes, there's not a bug around. Then when I start paddling, it sits between my legs until the sun is up good. It is the best 20 bucks you will spend, just ask a hunter. They love them!

http://www.amazon.com/ThermaCELL-Mos...rds=thermacell
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    For me, mucous membrane contact. I would prefer to avoid anything leaching out of the cloth to not be in contact with my mucous membranes (mouth, nose, eyes, other spots), as those are the most likely spots for my body to absorb what is, essentially, a poison. Yes, it's safe for mammals (aside from felines) according to the MSDS. That doesn't mean that I really want to have it in contact with a quick path to my system.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast