Hammock
    Enjoydeal w/ skeeter net
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hammock + Rain Fly + Snakeskins = ???

Hi guys! Pretty new to this hammock business and i'm having a hard time getting my setup the way i want it. First question: Can you effectively rig your hammock and rainfly if they are both in the same snakeskin? Im using whoopie slings and 1" nylon strap with a toggle and marlin spike hitch. I keep loosing tension in my ground lines for the rain fly. I can see where the snake skins are holding onto the rigging for both the hammock and rain fly and i know that isnt good for the skins. Is there an effective setup to make this work? I really like how easy it is to set everything up with the system im using. But its messin with my hang. No bueno. Any help would be amazing and thank you in advance for helping the new guy!

Peace!
    Pat
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-28-2015 at 22:18.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Most people keep only the tarp with it's multiple guylines in the snakeskin. Your hammock (if it's not DIY) probably came with a double-ended stuff sack for ease of deployment.

I'll setup the tree straps on either tree, then connect one end of the hammock (through one end of the stuff sack) to one of those tree straps, then walk over to the other tree as the hammock unfurls from the stuff sack - then attach the hammock to the other tree strap.

For the tarp, I find snakeskins are most useful because I want the tarp out of the way (but still quickly deployable) when it's not forecast for rain, and the snake skins do just that. Otherwise, I can't see any use of having the tarp + hammock in the same snake skin.

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    I use 1 on my tarp and 1 on my hammock, and bug net, I tried what you are doing at first but it just would not work for me ,but love the snake skin a lot, so much that I am waiting on a l.st. lazy slug tube ,just think of it as a gaint snake skin, this way I can have my full hammock set up in the tube ( hammock bug net, top quilt and bottom quilt ) ,but I still need a separate snake skins for my tarp

Hammock
    Enjoydeal w/ skeeter net
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Dochartaigh! Unfortunately my hammock has a single sided stuff sack thats sewn into the hammock itself. I didnt spend much on the hammock. In fact, my ENO DryFly was about 4X more than the hammock, lol. I guess ill take the hammock out of the skins and get a double sided stuff sack for the hammock. Thanks for the info!

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Wet rain fly and dry hammock in the same snake skin isn't a good match.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PatWang5000 View Post
    Hi guys! Pretty new to this hammock business and i'm having a hard time getting my setup the way i want it. First question: Can you effectively rig your hammock and rainfly if they are both in the same snakeskin? Im using whoopie slings and 1" nylon strap with a toggle and marlin spike hitch. I keep loosing tension in my ground lines for the rain fly. I can see where the snake skins are holding onto the rigging for both the hammock and rain fly and i know that isnt good for the skins. Is there an effective setup to make this work? I really like how easy it is to set everything up with the system im using. But its messin with my hang. No bueno. Any help would be amazing and thank you in advance for helping the new guy!

Peace!
    Pat
    Hammock and rainfly in same snakeskin no bueno unless you want a wet hammock. Nylon straps no bueno (use polyester since it stretches less).

Losing tension in your ground lines for the rain fly? What does that have to do with snakeskins? The guy lines should have zero relationship with snakeskins. Once the tarp, or hammock, are removed from the snakeskins then they play a passive role and just sit there, doing nothing, waiting for you to pack up and go home.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I started with a HH Expedition and the included tarp in a snake skin - but as others have said, if the tarp is wet (and that's why you use a tarp, because of the potential "wet"), you don't want it mix it with dry things. As I moved to other hammocks, I tried combining a hammock and separate bug net, or Hammock and sock, in a snake skin. But it was a lot of work - compared to stuffing it in a double ended bag - to get it in the snake skin without bunching in the middle.

Then one trip I tried to put a tarp up in heavy gusts. It was worse because I didn't have trees, I had guyed poles where the tarp itself was to provide a stabilizing pull in a third direction. After that, I've appreciated what I've read about putting just the tarp in a snakeskin so you can get the ridge line up without creating a "sail" in high wind conditions. After the ridge line is secure, then you can pull back the skins and guy the sides. I haven't tried it yet, but moving a couple of tarps to skins is on the list for spring/summer experimentation. I imagine there is a little "prep" work, putting a few folds in the tarp over the ridge line before I pull down the skins.

If someone has a link to a video showing that activity, please post it. I've watch lots of hammock videos, but don't recall one showing someone putting away their tarp in a snake skin. I know it sounds easy, but I'd think the tarp has to be folded over the line a few times to reduce the bunching when pulling on the skin.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    I agree with most of the guys here. Packing a wet tarp with a dry hammock isn't going to work well. I live in Australia and even though the place has very minimal rainfall, dew or fog can sometimes leave a little moisture on the tarp. I've got a set of Snake Skins for my hammock and another set for the tarp. Works wonders

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I started with a HH Expedition and the included tarp in a snake skin - but as others have said, if the tarp is wet (and that's why you use a tarp, because of the potential "wet"), you don't want it mix it with dry things. As I moved to other hammocks, I tried combining a hammock and separate bug net, or Hammock and sock, in a snake skin. But it was a lot of work - compared to stuffing it in a double ended bag - to get it in the snake skin without bunching in the middle.

Then one trip I tried to put a tarp up in heavy gusts. It was worse because I didn't have trees, I had guyed poles where the tarp itself was to provide a stabilizing pull in a third direction. After that, I've appreciated what I've read about putting just the tarp in a snakeskin so you can get the ridge line up without creating a "sail" in high wind conditions. After the ridge line is secure, then you can pull back the skins and guy the sides. I haven't tried it yet, but moving a couple of tarps to skins is on the list for spring/summer experimentation. I imagine there is a little "prep" work, putting a few folds in the tarp over the ridge line before I pull down the skins.

If someone has a link to a video showing that activity, please post it. I've watch lots of hammock videos, but don't recall one showing someone putting away their tarp in a snake skin. I know it sounds easy, but I'd think the tarp has to be folded over the line a few times to reduce the bunching when pulling on the skin.
    have a look here around the 10 min mark ,shug to the rescue , this man and his videos have helped me and so many others ,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKW4SqJWgto h.t.h.

• + New Posts