DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post

As for bear spray, I never saw a bear in Glacier, but there was plenty of their poo around. A guy got attacked a week after I left and another a week before near Polebridge. I actually didn't carry bear spray when I was in the park which I very much regretting. I ended up buying some immediately after getting out of GNP on my west on the PNT.

Fronkey
    We saw four. Two grizzlies and two black bear.

Also came within 20 yards of a moose. He was hiding in some trees and we didn't see him until we were just about past. Lucky he was a nice moose.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    We saw four. Two grizzlies and two black bear.

Also came within 20 yards of a moose. He was hiding in some trees and we didn't see him until we were just about past. Lucky he was a nice moose.
    That's awesome and I'm super jealous! It's funny how easy it is to walk up on something that huge. lol

Fronkey

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The moose was a much scarier event. They are so big and we were real close when we spotted it. Kind of like the cat you saw, you know they can take you down if they want to.

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I'd rather be surprised by a mountain lion than a Moose- Both are incredible encounters because no one was hurt... The moose would really get me going just because there is more of a chance of trouble.
    Bears are whole different deal- even if you are hunting them and prepared for an encounter.
    As a side note- Don't ever think because there are "only" black bears in your woods that you are safe. The black bear is less predictable than a brown and for that reason many think more dangerous than its bigger cousin.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Demeter check out David gray on you tube he has some outstanding video of his hikes one on east and one on the west side he even goes thru getting the permit and ite nary too
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I saw a black bear and cub that visited our campsite at Mikawanis Lake . Also saw a Grizzly above Fifty Mountain on a day hike up to Sue Lake Overlook. he was at least 200 yds away above treeline , going the other direction . That is what I call a PERFECT Grizzly encounter ! I saw another Grizzly on my hike up to Grinnell Glacier Overlook. I guess I was lucky to have this many Bear sightings in 7 days ! I was glad I had Bear Spray and a Judge 410 Polymer Revolver with a big game load !

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    Make sure everyone has bear spray and follow the recommended protocol.

This might also interest you.

And This
    I have the book and map. Good stuff. The map at the GNP backcountry site is also great because of the trail mileage.

We are very bear aware. I camp in black bear country all the time, so always bear conscious! Two of the hikers in our party are gun-toting law enforcement as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    A great loop is to start at Many Glacier up through the Ptarmigan tunnel to Elisibeth Lake....
    Thanks so much Skyline. This is exactly the kind of trip suggestion I am looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I hiked from Chief Mountain to Bowman Lake last summer and had a fantastic time. I had a 4 minute stand off with a mountain lion on day two that was pretty dang amazing!

Fronkey
    Fronkey, I always enjoy your trip reports and videos. I remember your report of the mountain lion. Good thing it wasn't hungry for a hiker!

Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    I've actually been pseudo planning the trip Skyline just suggested to the northern area of the park for late August / early September. I have read and heard from a coworker many great things.
    Cool! I think September would be an amazing time to visit with the lower crowds!
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    Demeter check out David gray on you tube he has some outstanding video of his hikes one on east and one on the west side he even goes thru getting the permit and ite nary too
    Thanks so much for the info! I love Youtube
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Anything around Many was great. Ptarmagan tunnel and Iceberg lakes are must see places. If you have two vehicles available you can do some really cool hikes from east to west side. There are shuttles you can take advantage of on the east side and on the Going to the Sun road. Also if you have passports you can access the Goat Haught area via the Waterton lake cruise. The cruise itself was really fun.

Two Medicine was way less crowded, it's worth going. There are great hikes, some really good waterfalls and good backcountry. We hiked out 10 miles around Two Medicine lake for a da hike. Then took the boat back to the campground. Well the boat broke down in the middle of the lake, wind blowing 30mph knocked us into the rocks on shore. Had to wait and hour for rangers to come with another boat and pull is in. It was quite entertaining.

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    8-10 miles a day in Glacier for non-backpackers sounds really ambitious to me. Every hike I've done there has had substantial elevation gains and losses. It's rugged country, and all the hikes start at enough elevation to feel (at least for folks like us who live at sea level.) If it's a fit and motivated group, you're probably fine, but I found my hiker boyfriend was whining at the end of just 10 mile days even when we were only day hiking (though he did insist on carrying ALL of his camera gear.) ;-)

Yes to bear spray, the large can size, for each person. The only bear we saw was from the road, but we sang and clapped ourselves silly all over Glacier to avoid surprising them. Many trails we hiked had grizzly spottings the days we were on them, some campgrounds were closed, and some campgrounds were closed to tent camping and soft-sided trailers. Everyone carries bear spray. We were advised to keep it on our person at all times in the backcountry by the Rangers.

We pitched a combo of tent and hammock. Not every backcountry camp site had trees appropriate for hanging, though some did. The car camp grounds we stayed at had good trees. Glacier requires backpackers to stay at designated backpacker camps (and cook and hang food at the designated kitchen sites) because of grizzlies, so you don't really have the (legal) option of finding spots off-trail. To find trees for three hammocks you'll probably want multiple camp spots (I think your assumption that you need three for the 6 of you is probably right, both for following the "2-per" rule and for more hanging options.) Book your backpacking itinerary well in advance. We didn't, and all of the backcountry camps long hikes we hoped for were booked, so we ended up piecing together a combination of day hikes and shorter backpacks (so I can't recommend a long through-hike, since we weren't able to do one.)

Weather changes rapidly and can be windy, and it's difficult to get up-to-date forecasts in the park. Cell phones don't work most places and wifi is only available in a very few spots. A tarp with good coverage is probably wise.

Glacier is truly amazing. Do take the time to do some of the day hikes to see glaciers if you can; estimates are that they will all be gone within a few years (how few depends on who is doing the estimates.) Many of the best hikes in the park for seeing glaciers don't have any backcountry camping and can only be seen via day hikes. Siyeh Pass (off of the Going to the Sun Road) is one of the best day hikes I've ever been on anywhere. Truly stunning. And Grinnell Glacier, out of Many Glacier, is worth sharing with the swarming crowds. It's jaw-dropping.

Post trip reports when you come back! I'd love to go back and do a longer trip, too, ideally with hammocks. :-)

My avatar pic is from Otokomi Lake in Glacier. That's not our camping spot, it's just a place we pitched the hammock for sunset and stargazing. :-) The other folks there were fly fishing and they looked like they were having a lovely time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12