DIY M90
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    DSCN2799.jpgDSCN3260.jpgDSCN4478.jpg
    My dog loves to come along and gets excited whenever he sees me grab my pack. He "helps" when I'm making gear, and carries a pack with his food in it in cool weather. In warm weather I carry his food. It always cracks me up when people ask if he's carrying some of my gear too. No... I carry all of his water plus our shelter (he stays in a noseeum tent that hangs from my suspension to help fend off skeeters, black flies, and ticks). His 100lb booty doesn't fit well in the hammock with me so it works best for all involved

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    7-18-14 236.jpg
    112.jpg
    138.jpg
    This is Bodhi, He goes everywhere with me and loves the woods as much as I do. He doesn't like sleeping in a hammock though.

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    I don't have a dog, but I would be willing to borrow somebody's dog.
    Always last to the camp site.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5" 1.9oz ACU Digital Hammock
    Tarp
    MACCAT Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 20F UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posted pictures earlier of my 100# white German Shepard I bring with me, but on this last trip I had an epiphany! I realized he could carry beer for me! There was enough room for 2 Coors Banquets! He didn't even complain... Now that's a best friend!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by OutCold View Post
    Posted pictures earlier of my 100# white German Shepard I bring with me, but on this last trip I had an epiphany! I realized he could carry beer for me! There was enough room for 2 Coors Banquets! He didn't even complain... Now that's a best friend!
    They don't call them man's best friend for nothin'!

Hammock
    Warbonnet blackbird XLS
    Tarp
    Chill gorilla 12'
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    For those of you that have taken dogs for awhile....how young a dog have you taken?

I have a puppy that I just got (German shepard mix...she's less then 3 months, not sure of the exact age, found her on the side of the road)

I'm wondering if I should wait until she's a little bigger before I start taking her hammock camping

Also for carrying a pack...should I wait until she's a little older or start getting her used to carrying stuff now?

thanks!
    Quantumcomo

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcomo View Post
    For those of you that have taken dogs for awhile....how young a dog have you taken?

I have a puppy that I just got (German shepard mix...she's less then 3 months, not sure of the exact age, found her on the side of the road)

I'm wondering if I should wait until she's a little bigger before I start taking her hammock camping

Also for carrying a pack...should I wait until she's a little older or start getting her used to carrying stuff now?

thanks!
    Quantumcomo
    The younger the better imho to get them used to the trail. I would make sure that if your dog happens to be a yapper then maybe not on a group hang til she settles into it a bit more for the sake of your neighbors. As far as a pack goes I would not put any weight on her til she matures more, but if you can find a pack to fit her, then it would not do her any harm to get used to the feeling of a pack on. It will make it easier on both of you when the time comes to give her a pack with some weight.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    S2S Comfort Light
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I do a lot of day hiking with my dog Scout but haven't brought her over night yet. I've been running trials in my basement, slept there last night and she stayed right below me the entire night. I was thinking of running her leash to my ridgeline when we are out in case something wakes her (it will wake me). I just don't want her running off after something, still a puppy at 10 months so don't need her getting sprayed by a skunk.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker77 View Post
    I do a lot of day hiking with my dog Scout but haven't brought her over night yet. I've been running trials in my basement, slept there last night and she stayed right below me the entire night. I was thinking of running her leash to my ridgeline when we are out in case something wakes her (it will wake me). I just don't want her running off after something, still a puppy at 10 months so don't need her getting sprayed by a skunk.
    Instead of connecting her to your ridgeline, run a line of cord under you and hook her leash to that. It gives her a bit more room in camp and also doesn't brush up against you in the middle of the night and wake you up. Just watch out for her tangling up in your guylines.

I would love to take my dog some day. it seems so hard though

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast