Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    CF3 Winter Palace
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by razorguy View Post
    My dog hardly ever misses a hiking or camping trip! My girlfriend doesn't let me take her during the winter (even though I paid way too much money for a Ruffwear jacket) but she's always with me any other time. This will be my first year off the ground while camping so I'm going to be sure to do a couple of test hangs before I take her out on the trail but she likes to lay on top of me any chance she gets so I'm sure it'll work out in a hammock. She's probably too spoiled to sleep on a blanket on the ground or I would do that. I have read on here before about people getting those rubber dog boots to make sure they don't put holes in your gear or use socks with rubber bands. Better safe than sorry.

She has a backpack to carry her water and food but the gear pouches are removable so what you see in the pictures is the harness underneath; we mainly use it to lift her up rocks and what not on the rare occasion that she needs help. She knows the words "backpack", "adventure", and "hiking" and gets super excited when we say any of those. She loves it!
    Great idea razor guy having dog carry water and food. My boyfriend wants to bring one of the dogs along but I'm concerned over the barking, food and water carrying, dog running off, and attracting of other animals. Glad I read through this and see how others do this. Eases the mind.
    Daisypetal

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Argon SF Clone
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisypetal View Post
    Great idea razor guy having dog carry water and food. My boyfriend wants to bring one of the dogs along but I'm concerned over the barking, food and water carrying, dog running off, and attracting of other animals. Glad I read through this and see how others do this. Eases the mind.
    Check out REI they had some pretty cool backpacking dog gear. I just picked up a water bottle with detachable bowl and a collapsed food bowl.

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXPir8 View Post
    I'm new to hanging....but I'm definitely planning on taking my dog with me. I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of the situation though. First of all...he thinks he's a person...and second..if I'm in the hammock...he will insist on being right inside too. At 50 lbs and still going...I guess it's a good thing I got the WBXLC

Attachment 101932

I've done some short trial runs (indoors)...and believe it or not..we both fit quite well. I guess the good side is that I can go light on the top quilt, since I'll be wearing a dog!
    Mine is small, but she insists on sleeping with me. Sleeps under the covers with us at home. She keeps me warm in the hammock. Just the right size 12 pounds.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    Netty/ Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    gnome dome/mctarp
    Insulation
    Incubator/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    I have three Boston Terriers that take turns going on backpacking trips. Each of them sleep in my hammock with me.
    Attachment 101975Attachment 101976Attachment 101977
    Awww I love Bosties. We used to rescue them. Our last one passed last year. They are wonderful companions. Travel so well. We may get another one if I can talk KingsFord into a second dog again.
    If you don't like my cooking there's always MRE's.***Hotlips

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly XL
    Insulation
    BA Roxy Ann 15
    Suspension
    DIY straps
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm not sure what we might try, but you guys have given me some ideas. I also kinda think I'm just over thinking this. I mean, everyone and their brother takes there dog and I don't hear any bad stories of wolf/bear attacks, so... ya, we'll see.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ potomac
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    My border terrier mix sleeps just below my hammock on a blanket. She is my little intruder alarm. Lately I have been wondering if she is in danger from coyote attack. Has anyone ever had experience with their best friends running into problems at night in the northeast/PA area? I do carry a sidearm when we go. I would hate not to bring her, she loves to go.
    Last edited by Gnarrkills; 02-10-2015 at 22:22.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Argon SF Clone
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarrkills View Post
    My border terrier mix sleeps just below my hammock on a blanket. She is my little intruder alarm. Lately I have been wondering if she is in danger from coyote attack. Has anyone ever had problems with their best friends running into problems at night. I would hate not to bring her, she loves to go.
    I wasn't camping but my pup was put in the woods and the yotes were howling and never came around. But as a hunter who hunts a coyotes. The only advice I can give that I am going to do it put the dog on a leader and carry protection. Whether a cap gun, flare gun, knife,bear spray or a side arm. I personally carry a glock. Just a loud noise will scare them off. They are very skittish towards people. Even though a dog will give off a scent so do you. Fires at night will also keep them away. I've mentioned most of this in previous comments. But in case you missed it I'll share my opinion again. In predator heavy country protection is a must.

Hammock
    DIY /HH
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest cc
    Suspension
    diy
    I take my 70 lbs lab on every trip. First time I took her out with a hammock she patiently waited for me to settle in then she climbed into the hammock with me. After multiple attempts to get her to sleep on the pad directly below me on the ground I gave up. .She sleeps curled up behind my knees in the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Argon SF Clone
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Well I decided to buy an indoor eno kit haha pup loves it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG IncubatorBurrow
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    What a great thread!
    I had no idea so many people hike/backpack with their dogs!

We just got our Border Collie a pack. She carries her own water, food, mini pup-tent and pad.
    Spoiled. But I figure if she's going to carry it.. She can bring what she wants.
    She's not a gram weenie!
    She has not graduated to a hammock.. She prefers her pup-tent.
    If life gets any better.. I'll need a tranquilizer!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast