DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    If you want fishing info check out http://www.swfkaa.com. (South West Florida Kayak Anglers Association) They are a group of kayak fishermen around charlotte harbor. Really good fishing in that area, and a really good group of people.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    I'm going to buy some 2" straps because I am looking to hang in some State Parks. I'll need 4 since they are required for the tarp also. So I'm planning on going to Strapworks and getting some 2" Polyester seatbelt webbing. What length would you suggest for Florida trees?? I'm looking at Myakka and maybe Ocala. 5ft sound about right?
    Personally, I carry longer straps (and have needed them on occasion); 7' is the minimum I'd bring to Ocala (lots of longleaf pines there, and those can get fairly big around). But there you can use 1" straps and won't need 'em for your tarp, if that helps.

For the FL State parks, they require a minimum of 12" diameter at chest height for you to hang from the trees. That means ~3' 2" diameter at a minimum. I'd prefer 5' as a minimum for the state parks...but it might behoove you to get longer ones for there, too. After all, 90%+ of state park camping is car camping down here anyway: you won't be lugging those straps more'n fifty feet from the car.

You've already found Strapworks, but Readystrap also carries 2" straps, including ones that go into 1" webbing when further down from the tree. As far as I know, their ultralight 2" straps are the lightest ones on the market currently. (On the page linked, they only offer 4' lengths of straps for whoopies/MSH suspension, but I'm fairly certain that they'd be willing to make longer ones upon request.)

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    OK with money being tight and spending a good chunk on airfare, car and kayak rental,I have to start thinking economically. I think I'll paddle myakka, 10,000 islands and Oscar Scherer and go to Ocala to hang and paddle. That way no 2" strap purchase necessary.
    Now the question is Where in Ocala should I go??(I tried researching it on-line but the site was so slow it was like pulling teeth) The park is massive. I want to hang,kayak and fish. What's the best spot for that? I'd prefer primitive on water.
    Thanks for all your help. Wouldn't mind meeting up with any of you folk at Ocala.

added: readystrap site has some nice stuff... self control...

ADD: Got some literature coming from Fed Parks on OCALA. Huge park any input on where to pick for best hammock/kayak/fishing appreciated.
    Last edited by LuvmyBonnet; 02-11-2015 at 10:43.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12