Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    KAQ New River Long
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images

Strumming a new fish tool

Because there can never be to much DIY I have used New England Ropes 5/64 Dyneema for SRL's and continuous loops and wanted a better "fish tool" for splicing. My main fish tool is a little thick for the 5/64 and I have read how a lot of people use guitar strings so I thought I would give it a shot. Stopped in a local music store and told him what I was using it for...He reached behind the counter and handed me this and said it was extra inventory...no charge. I like that price.

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

The blue plastic needle is what I use to pick my threads out for the tapered ends. Overall it worked fine but if I do another one, I will go one size larger for the additional stiffness.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs
    Images
    When I made my whoopie slings out of 7/64 amsteel, I used florist stem wire. It was really thin, but strong enough that I knew it wouldn't break. It took me less then a minute to feed it inside the 10 in portion of the bury and pull the amsteel back through. I probably won't ever use another "fish tool."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Guitar strings work great but I found .020" stainless steel safety wire to be best.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    KAQ New River Long
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycooper View Post
    When I made my whoopie slings out of 7/64 amsteel, I used florist stem wire. It was really thin, but strong enough that I knew it wouldn't break. It took me less then a minute to feed it inside the 10 in portion of the bury and pull the amsteel back through. I probably won't ever use another "fish tool."
    The one thing I was impressed about was it's toughness. It was very had to cut and I feel confident that I could not break it using it as a splicing tool. The drawback was it was pretty flimsy so a little harder to control if doing a long bury. I have used the florist wire before and have actually broken it but it was probably not as thick as what you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    Guitar strings work great but I found .020" stainless steel safety wire to be best.
    I do not have a clue about guitar strings, this was just what he handed me but if there is a .020 size string I think it would work great. I will continue to use it on smaller continuos loops with the 5/64th but will use my larger wire for other projects.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by latriper View Post
    The one thing I was impressed about was it's toughness. It was very had to cut and I feel confident that I could not break it using it as a splicing tool. The drawback was it was pretty flimsy so a little harder to control if doing a long bury. I have used the florist wire before and have actually broken it but it was probably not as thick as what you use.

I do not have a clue about guitar strings, this was just what he handed me but if there is a .020 size string I think it would work great. I will continue to use it on smaller continuos loops with the 5/64th but will use my larger wire for other projects.
    They're probably close to the same thing. If it ain't broke..........
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Images
    I started out with a guitar string myself and never looked back. I have two. One in the box with my amsteel, zing-it, lash-it etc. and one in the door pocket of my car. I have been on trips or at the office and decided to splice up something for one reason or another and it's always at hand.
    See my Blog @ http://msdaddydaddy.wordpress.com - YouTube Channel: MeyouandMaggietoo
    No wound? No scar?
    Yet, as the Master shall the servant be, And piercèd are the feet that follow Me.
    But thine are whole; can he have followed far, Who hast no wound or scar?
    Excerpt from a poem by Amy Carmichael. Missionary to orphans in India.
    She suffered much -- and bore much eternal fruit.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by latriper View Post
    That's strange, mine wasn't very flimsy. It's the only tool I've used, so I guess I don't have much to compare it with.

Hammock
    TC SL or DL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Marmot Sawtooth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I feel like a stone-age caveman over here with my bits and pieces of coat hanger wire. Maybe it's time I looked into a thinner steel wire.

Hammock
    Hennesey Explorer A Sym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Fly
    Suspension
    Stock
    He gave you an Elixir? That is a quality string to have singly. Has Nanoweb technology ;-)

If you go for a guitar string ask for a G or B. E is to thin from what I've found. They normally come in multi packs for like $4.