Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal

I really like Burning Bear for a site idea. I did quite a bit of cold testing up there. The road is usually plowed, but even then I suspect many won't make it past Whiteside campground without a 4x4 depending on conditions. I've had to bail a few times because I couldn't make it up. Whiteside has about 7, maybe 8 good hang spots there in the campground, so I'm not sure it would make a good back-up site depending on how many folks show. Course, Burning Bear has no winter water and Whiteside does have the river running thru it.

Still, Burning Bear offers a beautiful Colorado Winter scene. There are enough trees to host half of the HF community at that campground. It's in a high mountain valley with a trailhead less than 1/2 mile away. If the weather is really nice and the road is passable, Guanella Pass is not far off so flatlanders could go see what life looks like above the tree line. There are plenty of fire rings and, last year at least, one of the port-a-lets was unlocked.
    Actually I was thinking about a half mile in on the Burning Bear Trail, but the campground may be a better idea. The outhouse at Geneva Park Picnic Area is usually open. There are many good snowshoe and ski trails in the area.

The Highway 285 corridor avoids the ski traffic and prices, but maybe some people would like to be near the ski areas.

Another idea is the Wild Basin Area of Rocky Mountain National Park. I will do some research.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Any update to the planning while I was away?

They just moved my PCS date up 8 days (nice to find out at the last minute) so I'm leaving Ft Bragg on 10 Dec and will be in Colorado Springs a few days later. I'll use Christmas break to get settled and be ready for the group hang whenever in Jan-Feb.

So what's the consensus on date and location?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    February 27/28 at Burning Bear campground north of Grant.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Awesome. I hope there's a blizzard. See you there.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Bumping this up for those who, like me, are curious about this

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I know this is a different topic and I want to do the Winter hang, but the drive is long and just can't do it for 1 night. I would really like to do a 3 to 5 day backpacking trip in Colorado. Maybe someone can start another hang this Spring or Summer when the trails are good to walk without snowshoes.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm sure there will be several get-togethers in the coming years...no worries. I'm gonna do at least part of the Colorado Trail in the summers.

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Add to calendar??

Has this been added to the calendar? I didn't see it.

WarmSoda
    ---------------
    16" of snow from a blizzard last night. Getting harder to stay warm.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Colorado 2010

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    Maybe someone can start another hang this Spring or Summer when the trails are good to walk without snowshoes.
    I have got this one planned for the TLB Forum. And it is all hammock friendly.

This is the current plan, although this is not set in stone.

Saturday, July 17th - gather in Denver and travel to Arkansas Valley (Bew-ney Vista).

Sunday, July 18th - Raft class III Browns Canyon. Cost about $80 for a full day trip including lunch. This is a good way to acclimate.

Monday& Tuesday, July 19th & 20th. - Hike from Tennessee Pass to Timberline Lake Trail head. This is Segment 9 of the Colorado Trail AND Segment 21 of the Colorado Continental Divide Trail. Total elevation gain 1,905 and 13.3 miles. Fishing at Porcupine Lakes, Bear Lake and Galena Lakes. 7.6 miles the first day. This is the part where we hike and camp as a group.

Start Up Pine Creek Tuesday evening.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday free style hiking in Pine Creek. Oxford and Belford 14ers are close enough for day hikes. There are several loop hikes possible from the valley. Hike a bit of the Colorado Trail and we can pick you up on Saturday. Stream fishing in Pine Creek and lake fishing at Rainbow Lakes. Arkansas Valley Adventures (AVA) headquarters is about a half mile from the Pine Creek trailhead if anyone wants more rafting. AVA also picks up people in Vail most mornings, brings them to the Arkansas Valley , then takes them back to Vail. They are only allowed to transport customers, but you likely can do a half day raft trip then have them drop you in Vail or most places in the Arkansas Valley.

Lots of commercial shuttles from Vail to Denver Airport.

There is a commercial shuttle from Union Station in Denver to Buena Vista for $39 round trip.

The raft outfitters can get you from one place to another in the Arkansas Valley, but you might have to do a half day raft trip enroute.

The point is there are ways for people that want to leave early to get back to Denver..

Saturday, July 24th - travel back to Denver.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Came looking for this thread to ask for an update and whatta know, we have a hard a fast date and location. Sweet!!!!

I'll make a call tomorrow to the forest service and just verify that the campground is available for use during winter. Many of them are strictly closed, but this one was open all last year so I don't expect any adverse news.

If anybody is thinking about flying out and needs a ride, just let me know and Genuine Draft or I will see to it that you get picked-up at the airport and delivered.

Gotta start getting ready now. Can't wait!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast