HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images

Very happy with the Super Shelter (and some tips)

I just have to say that I'm another happy SuperShelter user. I've gone down amazingly comfortable to the low 30 s using a 30deg sleeping bag, cotton boxers, poly shirt, the undercover, ocf underpad and amk heatsheet. The SS does have some details that can be a pain at first, but its really nothing that a few mods can't solve. After solving these probs, using the hennessy with the supershelter becomes really cool.

A 2Q zipper mod would definitely make it easier to adjust the pad while in the hammock and easier for people who don't really like the bottom entry but do like the hennessy lay.
    Also, the instructions on the SS stuff sack are very clear in my opinion but they could stress a bit more the importance of putting the hammock guyouts as horizontal as possible, at least the head end (left guyout); this for me improved comfort a lot and underpad coverage seemed better.
    I came to realize (kind of an obvious thing) that the level of comfort and proper placement of the underpad depended on how I entered the hammock. Best way i have found to get into the hammock is to try and not move or push the pad aside but to fold it instead, then keep it folded on my right hand as well as the hammocks' entrance slit. Once im in i stick my hand out the slit to unfold the underpad. Note that the pad won't completely fold but does allow you to enter the hammock and will stay more to the left side solving the upper left side coverage issue.
    No matter what i did, the pad just didn't work on the feet section: always to much to the left. Sticking the right guyout far away and horizontal does help a bit, but to completely solve this i recently had to attach small loops to the hammocks' edge and the underpad and by using a small clip or minibiner I attach the pad to the edge of the hammock. I got into the hammock and I had my girlfriend help me out from the outside to see where the attachment loops should be on the hammock and the pad.

Other from this I've found it more comfortable to hang the feet end of the hammock just a little bit higher than the head. I didn't hang the feet end to much higher than the head, but I had to reduce by more than half to get comfy.

Hope this helps out. Any tips are also welcome.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 09-06-2009 at 10:19.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Images
    Thanks for the report, Elco. Good to know about your success. I can't quite figure out what your problem is with the foot section, only because I don't recall ever having that particular problem. So sorry, I have no useful tip, hopefully another user will. My problems always tended to be the opposite, with shoulder and foot sections being too far too the right( at least for the shoulder).

Normally, after I get in I will find the pad uselessly covering too much towards my right shoulder. So before I lay back, I just reach out the foot opening and push down on the space blanket covered pad ( I have to be careful here about puncturing or tearing the pad, pushing on the SB covered part helps), and it pops nicely over to the left so that my left shoulder is well covered. But after I do this, the pad seems to be lined up about correctly under my feet. In fact, I don't recall ever even thinking about foot coverage, only shoulder coverage which can be too far right ward. At least until I make that adjustment.

Sounds like you are doing about right if you have been comfortable to the low 30s. Do you have the kidney torso pads, or are you using just the one long pad? Have you had to augment the pad so far, or have you been warm enogh with just the basic pad, SB and UC?

Images
    PS: just thought of something: I have the Explorer, which when I got it a couple of years ago, the Exp pad was 5 or 6" wider than the pad for the ULBP/Expeditions. ( I never understood why HH made them less wide) So I'm wondering: If mine is wider, I may not have to get it as far to the left to cover my left shoulder, leaving more available for the right foot side?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    The "basic" SS system has been extremely toastie and with no need of extra clothing or the kindey and tordo pads. I must also say that in the outdoors its not as uncomfortable and dificult to handle as it is indoors.
    I do have the kidney and torso pads but have not had to use them. I have thought of using one of these extra pads to widen the underpad on the feet section, but the little loop mod i mention really worked.

The feet problem sucked for me alot, i suffer from extreme cold feet when slepping in the hammock so it is something i noticed right away.

If i´m not wrong you are tall, at least taller than me for sure , and maybe my problems with underpad coverage are diferent from yours because of this.
    The problem with the shoulder i also have it and used to solve it your way since reading about it in a thread of yours (DUH moment i think it was), but found that folding the pad will most of the times save me that step of sticking out the hand from inside the hammock to fix the pad.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elcolombianito View Post

If i´m not wrong you are tall, at least taller than me for sure , and maybe my problems with underpad coverage are diferent from yours because of this.
    The problem with the shoulder i also have it and used to solve it your way since reading about it in a thread of yours (DUH moment i think it was), but found that folding the pad will most of the times save me that step of sticking out the hand from inside the hammock to fix the pad.
    I am 6'1". I may try your folding approach, it mey indeed turn out to be another "DUH" moment!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the post, I just ordered the SS with the overcover and was worried that I was making a mistake, I know the quilt is the premium setup, but..

I am a warm sleeper and am a bit concerned, but we'll see how it goes. Thanks again!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Your welcome Agfadoc.

I didn't order the overcover, but since being a few times already under cold and windy conditions I have had to improvise one, and it definetly makes the hammocks' interior much more cozy. So if you don't like the supershelter, try selling it through the forums, but the overcover i recommend you keep.

I hope you also have in mind the spaceblanket: it is A MUST. When I say "the basic SS system" is working well for me, i'm including a spaceblanket used as a vapor barrier (between the topside of the uderpad and the underside of the hammock). Indoors, at home, i don't need the heatsheet, but on the outdoors if i don't use it, its condesation hell.

Anyways, good luck with your SS. Let us know how it goes for you when you get to try it out.

Your welcome Agfadoc.

I didn't order the overcover, but since being a few times already under cold and windy conditions I have had to improvise one, and it definetly makes the hammocks' interior much more cozy. So if you don't like the supershelter, try selling it through the forums, but the overcover i recommend you keep.

I hope you also have in mind the spaceblanket: it is A MUST. When I say "the basic SS system" is working well for me, i'm including a spaceblanket used as a vapor barrier (between the topside of the uderpad and the underside of the hammock). Indoors, at home, i don't need the heatsheet, but on the outdoors if i don't use it, its condesation hell.

Anyways, good luck with your SS. Let us know how it goes for you when you get to try it out.
    I haven't tried the SS yet but I did buy an overcover from another HF member, it works as advertised, IMO.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I made a DIY overcover for my explorer and finally had to take it off this spring. It was getting too hot. The overcover is an excellent piece of kit but is an easy to make DIY jobber, especially if you have a stock tarp to use as a pattern. Yep... it the same shape as the tarp but small... or the same shape as the bug net but bigger. NOTE.. it needs to be breathable or it will rain on you! HH uses untreated Ripstop which is what I used. Mine does not fit so well that the breathing hole is required. There is plenty of leeway around the edges for air to exchange. But it easily raises the interior temp several noticable degrees.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH UBA
    Tarp
    HH tiny stocker
    Insulation
    fat
    Suspension
    HH stock
    Your welcome Agfadoc.

i had mentioned using something of my own for undercover insulation on whiteblaze once and was told 'too heavy'. but i have this roll of styrofoam insulation approx 1/4 thick and covered in a flexible foil on each side. hhhhhmmmmmmmm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast