Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Bur40/Incu20/Phx40
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Burrow 40 + 2oz? Anyone have one?

I'm trying to decide between a Burrow 20 with no overfill, or getting a Burrow 40+2 for around a 30 degree bag. I will be pairing this with my incubator 20+2 and really just shooting for 3+ season setup. Just looking for thoughts and inputs on this. Cheers!
    The ground is hard, and full of rocks...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Adam at hammock gear told m that your top quilt could be rated 10 degrees warmer than your under quilt and an average sleeper would comfy to the under quilt rated temp when I asked him the same question.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Instead of a 40 degree Burrow +2 or a 20 burrow. Just order a custom 30 degree burrow.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Bur40/Incu20/Phx40
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Instead of a 40 degree Burrow +2 or a 20 burrow. Just order a custom 30 degree burrow.
    Isn't the Burrow 40+2 essentially the same as a 30?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a Hammock Gear Burrow with 2 ounces of overstuff, wide and long size (that might make it difference in temperature rating if you're getting a regular size quilt with the same +2oz of fill). I think I might be a cold sleeper since I've always been cold when I push a sleeping bag down to it's rated temperature, so I wanted a true 40º bag, thus getting the extra 2 ounces of fill. I've only used the Burrow to 42º before (with a Jarbidge 25º underquilt), and I was perfectly fine, but I wouldn't want to push it any more (and usually don't camp when it's colder than that out anyway).

My 40º + 2 ounce overfill weighs 16.87 ounces with stuff sack. I choose to get the 40º over the 20º because even with 2 ounces of overfill it was still lighter than the 20º – I just wanted a true 40º quilt for me, and don't have any use for something as low-rated as a 20º quilt.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I just got a 20 +2 to handle the cold as well as the 40's . I sleep in a western mount sleeping bag for real cold temp and then use a lighter down bag for mild temp. My idea is that when it gets warmer out I always can loses the ends of the uq and let heat out and cool in. Also, for 55 degree plus days I was looking at making a poncho liner quilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile_cabin View Post
    Isn't the Burrow 40+2 essentially the same as a 30?
    No not technically. Taking fill power out of the conversation simply because no matter what quilt you get from HG FP will be the same. What you are left with is baffle height and fill weight. A 30 TQ will have more loft then a 40 but not as much as a 20, different baffle heights. A +2 40 TQ does not increase its loft because the baffles are the same size no matter how much down you put in it. By increasing baffle height which in turn increases loft which then increases warmth. That would be the reason for a 30. However It really depends how low you want to go and if weight is a consideration and how technical you really want to be.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Bur40/Incu20/Phx40
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    That makes sense.

No not technically. Taking fill power out of the conversation simply because no matter what quilt you get from HG FP will be the same. What you are left with is baffle height and fill weight. A 30 TQ will have more loft then a 40 but not as much as a 20, different baffle heights. A +2 40 TQ does not increase its loft because the baffles are the same size no matter how much down you put in it. By increasing baffle height which in turn increases loft which then increases warmth. That would be the reason for a 30. However It really depends how low you want to go and if weight is a consideration and how technical you really want to be.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great response. The difference between the HG models is in the design - the depth and width of the baffles. The extra fill just makes sure that the baffles are filled out completely. There is a point of diminishing returns. If you have a 40* quilt and add 10 oz of overfill, it won't be much more warm than one with 5 oz of overfill. The design & amount of fill are centered around a temperature rating. Just like a regular sleeping bag, they all have a "range" as opposed to an absolute temperature. My Marmot bags have a rating range for a male and a different one for a female. They have a range for a warm sleeper all the way down to an absolute bottom rating.

Base your order on your past experience, if any. I have comfortably used a 0* in 65* weather. I haven't managed to use a 40* in 15* weather. I get cold feet, so I ordered a couple of extra oz fill in the foot box of my TQ.

The other thing I've noticed is that I don't need as warm a TQ if I have a warmer UQ. For example, I can get away with less insulation on top if I'm using my 0* vs using my 40* in the same situation.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have a 40 degree burrow with 1 oz extra down. I have unintentionally used it to 32 degrees while using a 3-season Yeti UQ. I was warm without any extra layers of clothes on. I consider it a solid 35 degree TQ.
    Instead of getting 2 or more extra ounces of down in the 40 degree, I would just opt for the 20 degree. As has been stated, getting a lot of extra down without increasing baffle height would add little extra warmth. I say, if you have doubts about the 40 degree, go with the 20 degree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast