Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images

UQ For Feet

Yeah, I know it sounds strange, but it works! I suffer from CFS (Cold Feet Syndrome) and booties, full uq, extra socks, hot water bottles, etc, didn't help much. So I took one of Shugs ideas a little further. Shug used a down jacket in one of his video's and wrapped it around the foot area of his hammock to keep his feet warm. I made a foot warming uq instead.

I used some left over 700 fill (6 ounces)to make a very lofty (4 inches) mini uq just for my foot area on my hammock. It works really well! I had toasty feet last night for the first time in a long time. I made it so it cant move out of position by using a loop and prussic on the ridge line to keep it in place. One end has shock cord and cord locks to make a seal. Dimensions are 24 x 52 with the ends sewn together to make a big doughnut.

The whole thing weighs 11 oz - I'm sure it can be lightened quite a bit with better down and lite weight materials - but for now I can live with it as it still fits in my UQ bag no problem.

20150131_122809.jpg

20150131_122820.jpg

20150131_122835.jpg

20150131_123123.jpg

20150131_123533.jpg

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Very nice. Toasty feet can make for a good nights sleep. Does it go over, or under your UQ? No problems compressing the other layer?

That's Cool! or maybe Warm....I have been thinking about doing something similar. Like a 3/4 Quilt Extension for those colder temps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    That's pretty awesome. Are u using that with a 3/4th or full length UQ. That would also work great during the day as nn UQ for one of those hammock chairs. Very nifty
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    That's pretty awesome. Are u using that with a 3/4th or full length UQ. That would also work great during the day as nn UQ for one of those hammock chairs. Very nifty
    I was thinking that you could use the Wilderness Logics Little Owl camp UQ for this?
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm curious: what's the advantage over a full-length underquilt?

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDen View Post
    That's Cool! or maybe Warm....I have been thinking about doing something similar. Like a 3/4 Quilt Extension for those colder temps.
    Thanks Ken! Thats primarily why I made it - also to target my feet with a big wad of thick insulation. I can toss the pad now.

Thanks Lazy! I'll be using it for all my quilts - full/3.25/torso. Hmm - didn't think about using it with a chair. I'll have to use some Omnitape and add some tabs. Win - win for multi-use!

Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I was thinking that you could use the Wilderness Logics Little Owl camp UQ for this?
    Yup! Lazy brought that to my attention. I'll make the mods today and post the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Very nice. Toasty feet can make for a good nights sleep. Does it go over, or under your UQ? No problems compressing the other layer?
    Cold feet are my bane. I needed to target my feet with a big piece of insulation. I used it last night inside the hammock wrapped around the foot box of my TQ and it was wonderful. So using it inside/outside the hammock works great. No problem compressing that I could see/feel - my legs move around a lot at night, so thats why I fixed it to the ridge line to keep it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    No advantage for normal people. I had to do something very specific about my cold feet and this actually works great for me. I can use it for all my uq's and now for my chair as a bonus. I can ditch the pad now as warm feet trumps the added weight of the foot quilt.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    This is also the first question I had......

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    This is also the first question I had......
    Its not that their is any advantage or disadvantage it is for the sole purpose of keeping the feet warm. It would be the same if a person cold weather camped using a full length UQ with a small pad just for the feet or like Shug wraps his coat around his foot end of hammock for that extra foot insulation. This replaces that. So instead of using a pad in the foot box can't can potentially slip you can layer a second UQ underneath. He just made one short and wide.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    12X10 SilPoly
    Insulation
    CS UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    Its not that their is any advantage or disadvantage it is for the sole purpose of keeping the feet warm. It would be the same if a person cold weather camped using a full length UQ with a small pad just for the feet or like Shug wraps his coat around his foot end of hammock for that extra foot insulation. This replaces that. So instead of using a pad in the foot box can't can potentially slip you can layer a second UQ underneath. He just made one short and wide.
    Thank you Lazy. That sums it up for me. The only other advantage I can think of is that I'm out of my wife's hair when I make stuff. Oh, and the cat loves it! So there's 3 advantages - warm feet, happy wife, happy warm cat! Err - Actually it should be happy wife, happy warm cat, warm feet.

I went ahead and put omnitape on it after cutting it in half - this makes it super easy to install on the hammock as I don't have to unhook the ridge line. I also added some more tabs so it can be used on a hammock chair. It's a bit small width wise, but covers all the important bits and up to my shoulders. The bad news is that the omnitape and tabs added another 2.5oz. With the omnitape, I can seal the ends when its on the chair.

20150201_102854.jpg

20150201_102612.jpg

20150201_102703.jpg

20150201_103148.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast