Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Palmetto State Hangers Frozen Butt Hang

First of all, before I get into the meat of things I'd like to thank the folks that REALLY stood out to make this hang the success that it was. Beyond our members and guests, OCLooper really came through with getting us a 100 pound hog for a fine price and secured us a mack-daddy cooker for the weekend. On top of that, he COOKED the swine and boy, was it fine eatin'. UGQ Outdoor Equipment, BIAS, and Hound Dog Hammock Gear all stepped up to the plate to provide door prizes for this hang. The down beanies and pillows from UGQ went over like gangbusters, the hammock seat from HDHG was a hit, and plenty of folks were excited to see Hammock Anchor/Strap Anchor suspensions out in the wild when they hadn't been exposed to them yet. Also, Tacoma96 for bringing his signature item - ice cream. If I've left anybody it out, it certainly wasn't on purpose.

Unfortunately, my trip report is abbreviated because I wasn't able to get there until late Friday night, while the event started Thursday morning. Hopefully somebody will be kind enough to flesh things out.

Rolling up around 9:00 Friday night, I was met with Cheers-esque shouts of "GRESH" before I could even get out of my truck. It's good to be loved, or at least tolerated. I unpacked the truck, set up my kit, and chilled out for the rest of the night after I gave my requisite "Hi, I'm Gresh, and thanks for coming" speech that I sometimes have to do. I sacked out in the Dangerbird around 0130. This was my first cold hang with it and I'm legitimately shocked at how much of a difference the overcover makes. SHOCKED, I tell ya.

Saturday morning was comfortable and full of breakfast foods and the smell of hog that'd been on the cooker all night. There's nothing else quite like that smell in the world, and it's a wonderful thing to smell. After breakfast a mass of us descended on Get Your Gear On, a local new and used/consignment gear store here in Columbia that was holding a special PSH-only sale that meant a whole mess of stuff going out the door for nearly cost or free as well as other ridiculous discounts. PSH members cleaned up that morning in the gear department and went home Sunday with more than they showed up with. We got back to camp right around when the pig was coming off the cooker so we had us a good ol' fashioned pig pickin'. Homemade sauces, sides, so forth and so on...they flowed like nobody's business. So much tasty food. Just after we had lunch and food was settling, Carolina Outdoor Adventures showed up with BUBBLE BALL SOCCER. For those unfamiliar, here's a link: http://www.carolinaoutdooradventures.com/bubbleball

After the carnage and violence of Bubble Ball Soccer, the white elephant gift exchanged happened a little while later and that was a BLAST. Lots of good stuff got given and received, and nobody walked away disappointed. Pretty sure that's gonna have to be a tradition for FBH going forward. The skies grew dark as they are so often wont to do in the evening and that marked the time for Pudden to tell his ghost stories/lies. We heard him spin a handful of yarns and then broke out Cards Against Humanity for a good ol' time of making people uncomfortable and showing just how terrible we really are.

As all good things must, it all came to an end Sunday and as is my habit I packed up early and left after some sad goodbyes.

I already miss my PSH folks, but it won't be long before SPRING SWING!
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Me and the wife are back home safe to GEORGIA, but we really enjoyed our time in SC with the Palmetto State gang. Sorry we left so abruptly this AM and did not get to say our goodbyes to everyone, but I know some of you guys are late sleepers, and we needed to get on back home.

It was my wife's first official "in a hammock" hammock hang, [she has went before, but was in a tent], and she has agreed to accompany me on future excursions. Possibly the Huntington Beach hang later this year.

Everybody there made us feel right at home and we sure appreciated the hospitality.

You guys be safe until we meet again!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    Me and the wife are back home safe to GEORGIA, but we really enjoyed our time in SC with the Palmetto State gang. Sorry we left so abruptly this AM and did not get to say our goodbyes to everyone, but I know some of you guys are late sleepers, and we needed to get on back home.

It was my wife's first official "in a hammock" hammock hang, [she has went before, but was in a tent], and she has agreed to accompany me on future excursions. Possibly the Huntington Beach hang later this year.

Everybody there made us feel right at home and we sure appreciated the hospitality.

You guys be safe until we meet again!
    We were definitely glad to have you up to meet you and your wife. Hopefully you'll make it up to some more of these!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I arrived second to last at the event. I arrived Saturday night around 8:30pm do to being a part of my brother's wedding (I'm thankful to the US Army for giving him leave for his own wedding). Paulie helped talk me in as I had never been to the park before. I walk over and say hello and then set up my latest Bonefire™ hammock with one of my tarps instead of the Dawn Treader tarpsock I've been using for a year. I left the tarp rolled up above me and didn't even take the tarp out of the bungee cords. That isn't something I've done in over two years.
    The fire looked welcoming and I took up a seat and, having missed the lies, I struck up some more meaningful conversation with a man named Matt (sorry I missed Pudden's lies). After a while Rooster was done playing against Gresh and the others in their card game and I was able to deliver his new Bonefire™ Gear hammock, that he won in the Fall Sprawl raffle, to him for his hanging pleasure. We set up his large tarp so it could be used with the hammock suspension and then he prepared for bed.
    I returned again to the fire to talk about the business, gear, and the personal lives of those around the fire. It was good to be in such company. Several people were able to try out my hammock before we all returned to the fire again. It wasn't long before I realized that it was after midnight and I said my goodnights and went to bed.

In the morning, I had BBQ and sausage for breakfast while enjoying the warmth of the fire and the sun's light as dawn arose. I demonstrated my quick take down to a few others before packing up to head home to help my brother pack up a moving truck to take his wife and his possessions to Colorado.

I am thankful to the PSH for their invitation to this event and I look forward to attending more in the future. Once I can get my computer's video editing software to work and finish editing my Christmas trip, I'll post a video trip report here too.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Left Clayton NC around 8AM Saturday with my son then spent the next 4 hours driving to this hammock hang. Also did one of my other hobbies along the way, so a few other stops were made. Upon arrival we saw that parking lot was about empty and wondered if anyone showed up. So we parked the car and we walked in with our backpacks. When we arrived we noticed that everyone had their cars in the campsite and there were a lot more hammocks hanging then we expected. Setup our hammocks then walked to the parking lot to bring the car in. With all gear set up we stayed around the campfire then eventually had lunch/dinner. We noticed alot of new faces here which was great.
    After lunch/dinner we decided to take a walk around the trails in the park and do some geocaching. We could not believe how many trails there were here, a lot more than what were on the map. We walked about 4 miles in the park then came back to the picnic areas and noticed some people playing bubble ball. I said cool lets check it out, when we got closer we noticed it was PSH playing the game and we had arrived too late to play.
    Eventually made it back to the campsite where we ate some more, hanged around the fire and what I like is that we had a “Meet and Greet” where everyone introduced themselves. When I host events we do this. The night went with stories being told, people playing a card game, talk about sports (YES) and getting alittle cold. Called it a night around 11:30 and it seemed as the night went on it got alittle colder then started warming a bit during the early morning hours (maybe the cloud cover).
    Woke up had some coffee then packed up. We left Sesqui at 8AM and arrived back in C-town at 11:30.
    A special thanks to PSH for having the hang. It was a great time and always is hanging with you guys. It was great seeing the older faces and meeting new ones.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Final count of hangers hosted: 48.

48 hangers, 100 pounds of hog + 2 shoulders, door prizes, white elephant exchange, ice cream, and the best bloody friends a man could ask for. 48 of 'em, in fact.

I say this every time but I really and truly couldn't be more proud to know all y'all - even the new folks and Pudden.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Sounds like you guys had a great time.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Sounds like you guys had a great time.
    Had a blast. We were sorry you had to back out to host your own hang but completely understand. We met some new folks from up in your neck of the woods, though!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The good news is that there are more group hangs for hangers to choose from

The bad news is that there are more group hangs for hangers to choose from

At least hangers now have more choices of group hangs to attend which I think is a good thing even though it will lead to some scheduling conflicts.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    The good news is that there are more group hangs for hangers to choose from

The bad news is that there are more group hangs for hangers to choose from

At least hangers now have more choices of group hangs to attend which I think is a good thing even though it will lead to some scheduling conflicts.
    Definitely. Options are good!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast