Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti/ 0* NF
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Images
    This is very cool I like seeing great new products evolve in front of my eyes in an idea sharing format.

In this spirit......would it be possible to add snaps where the two corners cross instead of having to stake them out? would that reduce the tension on the tarp end?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti/ 0* NF
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Images
    or....could you shorten the points to match the geometry of the tarp, overlap them, and use a long adjustable shockcord loop to secure the corners over the guylines. This would allow adjustability for a variety of tarp pitch angles and provide good coverage while remaining usable as a gear hammock.

I dont know if that made sense but now i wish i had a sewing machine so I could mock something up and show you what i mean.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lar-i View Post
    I need to get me one of them there sewing machines. It's amazing what you can produce on your own with an idea and a sewing machine.
    Yep, you do. Since you're new, maybe no-one told you yet we call 'em thread injectors around here. More manly you know

Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    If you get a chance, I'd like to see a video on that one. I couldn't find any on YouTube.
    Jerry
    I couldn't either. I shot some footage this morning, now have to go and pay the price by working on the HoneyDo list for a while. Hope the footage comes out OK. Had to do with my pocket camera because the camcorder is on the fritz.

Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Here are some pics of a very rough proof of concept implementation based on my earlier comments. This was done in extreme haste (gotta help my bro do some electrical work in his restaurant), so I cut the thing a little bit narrow at the top, so the fit is a bit smaller than I intended. (Haste makes waste!) I secured the outer edge of the beak's top to the tarp's ridge tie line to maintain some tension. Also, there's no velcro sewn into the 'door' edges.

Gotta run, but I wanted to get this initial thing done and posted.
    great, thanks. With "more door" then it seems likely that sheer overlap will seal off that end. I think WBG's Super-fly works that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm Scotch View Post
    This is very cool I like seeing great new products evolve in front of my eyes in an idea sharing format.

In this spirit......would it be possible to add snaps where the two corners cross instead of having to stake them out? would that reduce the tension on the tarp end?
    As I think from your next message you intuited, the bottom edge of the front will flap back unless the corners are staked out in just the right place.
    Ought to work though.

or....could you shorten the points to match the geometry of the tarp, overlap them, and use a long adjustable shockcord loop to secure the corners over the guylines. This would allow adjustability for a variety of tarp pitch angles and provide good coverage while remaining usable as a gear hammock.

I dont know if that made sense but now i wish i had a sewing machine so I could mock something up and show you what i mean.
    See comment to lar-i above

With the long shock cord thing, does it look like the picture below?

That's WBG's Superfly tarp. The doors on that one are sewn in, I've heard he's working on a model where the doors are fastened to the tarp by snaps.

now about that thread injector guys...you won't regret it. At least until your spouse realizes that a guy who can make tarp beaks and hammocks and down-filled quilts can also repair 8 year old son's blue jeans, and make curtains for the guest room, ....

As for me...the HoneyDo list now....

GRizz

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    ...would it be possible to add snaps where the two corners cross instead of having to stake them out? would that reduce the tension on the tarp end?
    Certainly possible. Don't know the effect on the corner gaps, though, offhand. You'll want enough tension to keep the beak / cover from flapping, and that would tend to pull its corners away from the guy lines. All depends on how much, I suppose, and from Brandon's (warbonnetguy) comment above it probably doesn't matter too much. Certainly true with the larger tarps, although it might be more significant with my 5 x 10.

Yes, you could. I've done similarly with the ends of a longer (5 x 12) tarp:

I used small bungee cords in that pic rather than shock cord, but any simple tensioner on the end of a longer cord would let you cover the ends for a variety of pitch angles. This idea is not original, btw, but I forget where I first saw it. Anyway that's the idea I'm trying to integrate with what Grizz has come up with.

Keep an eye on Craig's List, or find a local dealer for a used machine. Gotta dip your toe in the water!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

That's WBG's Superfly tarp. The doors on that one are sewn in, I've heard he's working on a model where the doors are fastened to the tarp by snaps.
    GRizz
    the latest models have been using 4 equal-sized doors that attach via 5 snaps per door.

this may be the next evolutionary step though. if you could get the tarp edge/door edge overlap small enough it might be a lighter setup. less labor intensive, possibly cheaper...

clever idea really.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    (Re folding the tarp ends over) ...This idea is not original, btw, but I forget where I first saw it.
    Had to run this to ground... it was indeed Warbonnetguy's Superfly that first caught my eye:

Sorry 'bout the oversight, Brandon! Gotta plead senility on that one.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Here is the Griz Beak on a MLD Hex...after playing with the Beak it will work with almost any tarp...just a bit of tweeking the angle of the tarp...this again shows Griz's genius!
    http://travel.webshots.com/photo/281...84634827LtFWyV

Setup time is 45-60 seconds, the next shot shows I could have tweeked more for tightness but it worked well as is:
    http://travel.webshots.com/photo/296...84634827hItYWp

The Beak and the MLD Hex are packed; will be enjoying the fruits of Griz's efforts in just a little over a week woohoo.

The only thing I need (HINT HINT GRIZ) is a second beak for a complete kindom! In fact the way he's done the shockcord a second beak would work
    out perfect with each beak pulling the other beak.
    Last edited by MedicineMan; 09-16-2009 at 14:34.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images

neighbor

That's really cool!
    I'm about to attempt the blackcat tarp and since I can't buy the superfly just yet, would like to add something like that on. Can I come over sometime and get a sewing lesson from you?

Seriously though, we are neighbors.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Really nice, may allow me to use my maccat as a 4 season

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    thanks MM for posting pictures.
    More later, hard at work in a foreign land trying to save us all from the cyber peril. very limited bandwidth

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast