Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy 10x12 Hex
    Insulation
    Yukon O. Kindle UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

New KY Hanger

Hello from Bowling Green, KY. I'm new to the hanging community but have learned a lot from this site and various accounts on YouTube. I credit Sintax77 from YouTube and these forums for turning me on to hammock camping vs tents. However, I have yet to have my 1st overnight hang.

My previous backpacking trips have been in the Red River Gorge (beautiful place) and I have spent a lot of time hiking (and running) the trails of the Great Smoky Mountains. I would love to hear about other hiking/backpacking trails in the region, preferably with beautiful Vistas.

My current set up is an Eno Singlenest with Whoopie Sling supports connected to Hammock Bliss Tree straps with a marline-spike. My tarp is a Hennessy Hammock 10x12 Hex Tarp. My insulation currently consists of an X-frame Inertia inflatable Pad and a Suisse Mountain Sport mummy bag. This probably won't keep me too warm, but I don't plan on any cold weather hangs in the immediate future.

This community seems like it's full of great people genuinely trying to help each other out and I'm excited to be getting involved.

--James

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    diywhoopies/straps
    Welcome to the forums. I don't partake of the walking trails in Kentucky, just the calm paddle trails.

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy 10x12 Hex
    Insulation
    Yukon O. Kindle UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I also have a couple of kayaks, but haven't traveled out of the Bowling Green area with those.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Massachusetts.

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Welcome to the fun!
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Beautiful vistas right over in the Big South Fork NRRA on the KY/TN border. Lots of overlooks from the rim of the gorges there.

Welcome to the madness from Nashville, Tennessee. If interested, look up our backpacking group on www.meetup.com under "Nashville Backpacker." We do lots of trips to beautiful places, and even kayak camp some in the summer.

Rain Man
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Shell Insulated Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Integrated Down UQ
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Welcome! If you check out the southeast trip planning portion of the forum then you will find that there is actually a group hang coming up in mid March in the RRG. You should try to make it if you can!

Hammock
    Warbonnet blackbird 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    Ccf pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome from louisville , ky. I'm a newbie also and have most weekends free to "hang". Just let me know

Hammock
    Boone ShellHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber w/d
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Cintch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnickerson1017 View Post
    Hello from Bowling Green, KY. I'm new to the hanging community but have learned a lot from this site and various accounts on YouTube. I credit Sintax77 from YouTube and these forums for turning me on to hammock camping vs tents. However, I have yet to have my 1st overnight hang.

My previous backpacking trips have been in the Red River Gorge (beautiful place) and I have spent a lot of time hiking (and running) the trails of the Great Smoky Mountains. I would love to hear about other hiking/backpacking trails in the region, preferably with beautiful Vistas.

My current set up is an Eno Singlenest with Whoopie Sling supports connected to Hammock Bliss Tree straps with a marline-spike. My tarp is a Hennessy Hammock 10x12 Hex Tarp. My insulation currently consists of an X-frame Inertia inflatable Pad and a Suisse Mountain Sport mummy bag. This probably won't keep me too warm, but I don't plan on any cold weather hangs in the immediate future.

This community seems like it's full of great people genuinely trying to help each other out and I'm excited to be getting involved.

--James
    Welcome to HF.

Sintax77 has a lot of great info be sure to check Shug's vids out he is the godfather of hammock camping plus he is a riot in most of his videos being a circus performer helps. He also has a whole intro to hammock camping series that is packed with info.

When I was using a pads I would double the pads a cheap CCF on the bottom and then a higher end pad on top. To increase the warmth of your sleeping bag insert a SQL Breathable bivvy in your sleeping bag and you'll be toasty in lower temps. I like to carry the SOL in case anything get wet or if there is a malfunction especially during during group hangs. If your going to stick with pads/sleeping bag and want to shed some weight you can modify it it to be more like a top quilt by removing the zipper and some of the hood material then re sew the edges back. When your ready to make the switch to quilts Hammock Gear makes some of the best stuff out there that are super light. Their cuben Fiber has also been a great performer in different conditions.

Another good resource is Black Raven Survival and this was the December hang we did.

Hammock
    Dutchware NylonD 11' Olive
    Suspension
    Rap Rings/Webbing
    Images
    Greetings from Louisville!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast