Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    I'm also planning to use Tendertoe's amazing pole mod idea to open up the tarp at the head end.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Images
    done with my grandson. him on top.
    the other options are risky with weather and become a balancing act.. Ann and I use 3 trees, two tarps with porch mode facing each other. if bad weather we separate and hang in storm mode. i would never try one tarp, but that's me.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    done with my grandson. him on top.
    the other options are risky with weather and become a balancing act.. Ann and I use 3 trees, two tarps with porch mode facing each other. if bad weather we separate and hang in storm mode. i would never try one tarp, but that's me.
    I can totally see it working with a kid on top but not so practical with two adults.

Love your idea with 3 trees, two tarps with porch mode facing each other. Must give that a try.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    Argon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    If you find big enough trees it's real easy to make it so your webbing is on one side of the tree and hers is on the other giving you enough distance you don't bump into each other at night but both can stay covered by the tarp.

Next thing to look for is a single tree for your feet and two trees real close together for your head ends.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    I recently tested using a hiking pole as a spreader bar between two hammocks. No problem with torque and worked great. The hammocks were not equal distant from the tree as one was a 11' and one 10' so I used an prussik to tie the handle end to the shorter hammock and put the base through the loop end on the longer hammock.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    I am thinking I will buy a set of the Dutch double whoopie hooks, looks pretty cool in his video. I don't think the spreader bar will be that much more weight compared to a second tarp that I can leave home by using this set up.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

a couple thoughts

i think you should find some times to get out in the woods together to experiment before you head out for a week. Sleeping in a hammock takes a little adjusting. When my wife and I first started hanging, my wife liked to be near me but when I bought her a ridge runner we were not able to be that close to each other. We never really hung together under the same tarp. My daughter was the same way I think one time we hung from one tree to two other trees. (separate tarps) Since then she is okay being within eyesite of me.

I have hung both kids under the same tarp one time and that worked pretty well. I put the 10 yo over the 4 yo. It work well. I had to help the 11yo into the hammock. it was pretty high. I have enough stuff to spread the entire family out separately if there is enough trees.

I have seen other people do the same as Fronkey. You just have to make sure that your tarp can be spread wide enuf to cover you both in case it rains.

hope this helps
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

what tarp is recommended for the double whoopee hook side by side hang? I want to DIY my tarp as well but am thinking more about a superfly instead....11 x 10 outta do anything I want hadn't it?

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, HudsonR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    The Superfly has worked well for me and my daughter using the double whoopee hook and the spreader bar that Dutch recommends. You will want to use the side tie-outs on the tarp, but when you do, there's plenty of room for two hammocks. The only limitation I see is not being able to close the doors tightly if faced with really bad weather. Good luck!

Thanks man. .... how's the hanging with the spreader bar. .. reading mixed things about feeling each move and all?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast