View Poll Results: What weekend is preferred for a Mid-West Hang Out?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weekend of Oct. 9-11

4 33.33%
  • Weekend of Oct. 23-25

8 66.67%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If it does turn out to be the 23-25 weekend, you can add me to the list. I've only been to Lake of the Ozarks twice(and never camped there). Looks like a nice campground as far as car camping goes.

If it did turn out to be busy, the map shows a couple of primitive camping areas('PC' on the map) that appear to be car accessible. Those could always be a last ditch option.

I'll be following the progress of this thread.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY 7x7
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I can try to make it with the wife, Still figuring out the cold weather gear though, it depends on what the Army,and/or boy scouts have planned that weekend, and if i can dream up some type of cheap underquilt. 2 weeks ago i tied 2 old wool blankets under the 2 hammocks and used the sleeping bags on top, It seemed to work ok.

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    I'd be a possible for either. I might be able to play hookey from work, and make it a friday-noon to sat-night sun-morning thing. I work roughly 3p-12a. Never been there, but since it would be car camping it would be easier to bring stuff and not have to carry it around if its not needed. I've never done an over-nighter camp in a hammock that wasn't in the backyard.
    Info on price/parking/admission/whatever would be nice to know, and of course exact location to be. Also, with food storage, would cooler be safe in the car, or do we need bear-bags etc? Bear lockers on-site? Firewood and fire rings and such available at site or bring your own stove. Axe /hatchet needed et al. Yeah, I know I'm ignorant, but we gotta start somewhere.
    Last edited by Knighthorse; 09-14-2009 at 02:19.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    It is not looking good for me then... I would hate to miss this but I am out on the trail the later weekend. I will keep an eye out here if something changes. If not, you guys have a great time and I will have to catch the second annual.

Bob

Hammock
    HH Exped, Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    JRB The Nest
    Suspension
    mish mash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerflop View Post
    It is not looking good for me then... I would hate to miss this but I am out on the trail the later weekend. I will keep an eye out here if something changes. If not, you guys have a great time and I will have to catch the second annual.

Bob
    Sorry you can't make it. If things do change then your more than welcome to join us.
    Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    HH Exped, Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    JRB The Nest
    Suspension
    mish mash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knighthorse View Post
    Info on price/parking/admission/whatever would be nice to know, and of course exact location to be. Also, with food storage, would cooler be safe in the car, or do we need bear-bags etc? Bear lockers on-site? Firewood and fire rings and such available at site or bring your own stove. Axe /hatchet needed et al. Yeah, I know I'm ignorant, but we gotta start somewhere.
    Bears?....don't think they have made it this far north although there has been reports of a stray black bear on the southern edge of Jefferson County. I know of no advisories or problems at any Mo. State Park for bear problems. The biggest problem I've ever had is squirrels and chipmunks getting into my backpack a time or two.
    You can find more info about Lake of the Ozark State Park here.
    You can get campsite cost and firewood regulations from the site. There is no gathering wood for fires inside the park but if you want to bring firewood in they say to only buy and bring wood in from the area because of a nasty little bug that kills trees. Most of the regulations and info for using the park are posted on the website.
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    Duh. Should'a read the site info first. *self administers dope-slap*

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    not following this thread alot but did a mapquest and i am only 10 min further from the ozark lakes than the sht hang up north, this also sound like a fun time and I may invite myself to this event, never been there, what weekend is this planned?? is it set in stone?? kayaking available there??? if so anyone else up for a paddle?? i'll bring two if there is interest.
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    HH Exped, Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    JRB The Nest
    Suspension
    mish mash
    You can check out the park here. The park is right on the Lake of the Ozarks and if you check out the camping areas here you'll see that it is right on the edge of a finger of the lake. So launching a kayak should be easy.

It looks like Oct 23-25 is the pick weekend with the pole showing 7 to 3 in favor of that weekend.
    I am going to try to take off Thursday the 22nd and maybe go down then and see what the pickins are for campsites. I am going to see if I can come up with a sign or a flag so as to be easily found as people start to show up. I enjoy a good fire to sit around and shoot the bull so I will check into getting some wood for a fire Saturday night.

As we get closer to the date we can talk about food (I got the chili and franks) otherwise this is a totally casual no-stress, have fun, meet new people, show off your hammock stuff and just generally relax and hang out.
    The park does have a couple short day hiking trails so for those that are up to doing a couple miles on Saturday or Sunday so bring your walking shoes. We are at a lake so you Missouri residents with a fishing license bring your fishing poles and throw a line in.
    So there you have it..there you are. Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed!
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY 7x7
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Is this still tenatively a go?? I'm trying to make plans for that weekend. Either hanging or go see my daughter for her B-day. Leaning towards camping so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast