Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

A good nights sleep would be nice!

Ok, I have a WWBB Hammock, Tee-Wa under quilt and a Mccat deluxe tarp. I have slept in this and other configurations about a dozen different times. I am very comfortable, warm and no sore spots in the morning. However I just can't get a good nights sleep. I toss and turn all night, wake up about 20 different times. I sleep on the diagonal with feet in footbox. I'm a side and stomach sleeper. I just don't know what to do with my arms. I like to streach out and feel quite confined. Any suggestions, Im giving thought of going back to ground unless I can figure a way out. Need help, Please!
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    bedroom ceiling
    Insulation
    a couple blankets
    Suspension
    rope
    I'm new to the hammock thing and being a side and back sleeper, I'm surprised I didn't have the problem of what to do with my arms. Now keep in mind my hammock is hung up in the bedroom, so most the time I have one arm out pushing against the wall for a gentle sway. When I actually sleep, I start out with them above my head, kind of propping my pillow up. Usually wake up with them wherever. I also have a mat from a cot that helps hold mine open. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    In a bed, I'm a side/stomach sleeper. And I would toss and turn alot during the night. I was very sceptical that a hammock would suit me. However, I do less tossing and turning in a hammock. I can sleep comfortably on my side in a hammock. But I probably sleep most of the night on my back and then switch to my side when I wake up in the morning. I guess I'm not here to give you any magic formulas. In my case, tossing and turning is a result of becoming uncomfortable during the night. Since a hammock is more comfortable for me, I do less tossing and turning. YMMV. Good luck.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    anybody near you that has a "Bridge" Hammock? Might be worth investigating- or there are DIY instructions on here somewhere-- just do one in 1$ fabric to see if it will work better for you.
    HTH, KM

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Russmay, There's your your problem. It's in your signature. Saving cheerleaders and the world is a full time job and is bound to keep anyone awake all night. Come up with something boring and you'll sleep well.

Seriously, I'm just like Hike4WD in that while I sleep on side and stomach, it is uncanny that I can get a good night's sleep on my back in a hammock. Like you my arms don't know where to go at first. However I sleep in a hammock is 77 times better than sleeping on the ground.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try getting a thick pad...my Downmat 7 holds the hammock open a little wider and makes it easier to sleep on my side and stomach. Without that, I sometimes fall asleep with my arms over my head and they fall asleep so hard that I have to move my shoulders just go get my arms to fall on my chest. Then I have to wait for the blood to come in and make my arms tingle. I've never had my arms fall asleep so hard except for in the hammock. I don't know what the answer is...I just deal with it. But I feel your frustration.

And I second the recommendation to try a bridge hammock.

A dozen nights is a pretty good shot at trying it...if the pad or bridge don't work, you might be one of the few people who just aren't comfortable in a hammock. If that's the case, I'm sure you won't have any problem selling that kit.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    ... Without that, I sometimes fall asleep with my arms over my head and they fall asleep so hard that I have to move my shoulders just go get my arms to fall on my chest. Then I have to wait for the blood to come in and make my arms tingle. I've never had my arms fall asleep so hard except for in the hammock.
    Weird! My left arm fell asleep, exactly as you describe, the other night in my BB! I never had that happen in a hammock before, including other nights in the BB. I was getting a great sleep until then. I think I was on my back, but I'm not sure at all. Maybe my arms were over my head. I got up and took care of business, then went back to sleep with no further issues.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russmay View Post
    Ok, I have a WWBB Hammock, Tee-Wa under quilt and a Mccat deluxe tarp. I have slept in this and other configurations about a dozen different times. I am very comfortable, warm and no sore spots in the morning. However I just can't get a good nights sleep. I toss and turn all night, wake up about 20 different times. I sleep on the diagonal with feet in footbox. I'm a side and stomach sleeper. I just don't know what to do with my arms. I like to streach out and feel quite confined. Any suggestions, Im giving thought of going back to ground unless I can figure a way out. Need help, Please!
    Just curious: are you trying to sleep after a long day on the trail, or in your back yard? I always have a preposterously hard time sleeping in my backyard, no matter how comfortable. Ear plugs help. On the trail, I usually pass out like a light.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    On the trail, I usually pass out like a light.
    Same here. My hiking partner often makes fun of how quickly I fall asleep, saying that I don't actually have time to be fully in the hammock before snoring is heard.

I don't know what to tell you, russmay. I hope you can work it out.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Same here. My hiking partner often makes fun of how quickly I fall asleep, saying that I don't actually have time to be fully in the hammock before snoring is heard.
    Yea, me too! I often wake in a weird position, after a few seconds I realize it's because I got in the hammock & fell asleep before I "got into position". Both hands above my head, one leg out, laying across the hammock; feet & head over air, etc.

I also don't know what to tell you, russmay. Don't see the problem, sorry. BUT, welcome aboard anyway
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast