Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    I wonder if clark would sell just the end piece of insulation?
    Yes, if you click Buy Now on the Clark site, and then choose your size (100 or 200), you can then Edit Options and choose either the full kit, just the pockets, or just the foot end piece. It appears the foot end alone is $50 for the 100 size and $55 for the 200 size.

n0thing
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    Yes, if you click Buy Now on the Clark site, and then choose your size (100 or 200), you can then Edit Options and choose either the full kit, just the pockets, or just the foot end piece. It appears the foot end alone is $50 for the 100 size and $55 for the 200 size.

n0thing
    Thanks for the info, I'm ordering today

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Z-Liner System - Field Report

I had the new Z-Liner system out on my NX-250 this past weekend in northern Arizona... it was very warm down to 28-30 degrees. I felt like it could have easily been useful to lower temperatures... still testing.

Has anyone else had any field experiences yet?

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB quilt
    Suspension
    rings & straps
    Finally, someone has tried this system out, I look forward to more reviews and field testing. Longbow did you use the entire kit or just parts? also was the initial installation fairly simple? it looks as though it should be but ya never know.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Z-Liner

Quote Originally Posted by Lowend View Post
    Finally, someone has tried this system out, I look forward to more reviews and field testing. Longbow did you use the entire kit or just parts? also was the initial installation fairly simple? it looks as though it should be but ya never know.
    Hi Lowend:

I used the entire kit... 6 pocket pads and the "light bulb" piece. It was very easy to install. There is lots of Velcro to attach, which makes for a very secure installation. When you buy the system, Clark provides you with another larger stuff sack that you can use to pack the NX-250 with the Z-Liner fully installed.

I will post again as I get more experience with the Z-Liner.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thank You Longbow for all the time you spent on the review and the pictures. I believe I may have been the first on this forum to recieve and comment about the extra velcro that came on my Clark. I have been waiting so patiently to find out more information. This is really intriguing me now with the lower temps. I know I am going to need more insulation and this will be one of my choices but I am still doing a little more research I don't want to have to buy twice.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB quilt
    Suspension
    rings & straps
    Simple is good and the reviews are good, keep em coming. the weight doesn't seem to bad. it appears it'd be a no brainer once they're installed to just leave them in place. I'm assuming you can still utilize the pockets, by placing things under the insulation or do they fill the whole pocket? Also you said that they were overstuffed, did you experience any cold spots where the pocket meet or did it seem pretty consistent? At the moment I'm using pads, A) because I had a crash pad already and, B) the wally world pad I added was only 7$. I've been interested in underinsulation for awhile but as funds are tight want to make an informed decision. My only other question "for now," and this is pure blasphemy, if ya had to, umm, uhh,..... you know, got to ground, do you think you'd have to take them off, or would they help any?

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    If you have to go to ground, any uq type insulation will be squashed by your body. When I tested my clark in the backyard, there was no way I was gonna put my uq on the ground with my hammock on top of it.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Z-Liner

Quote Originally Posted by Lowend View Post
    Simple is good and the reviews are good, keep em coming. the weight doesn't seem to bad. it appears it'd be a no brainer once they're installed to just leave them in place. I'm assuming you can still utilize the pockets, by placing things under the insulation or do they fill the whole pocket? Also you said that they were overstuffed, did you experience any cold spots where the pocket meet or did it seem pretty consistent? At the moment I'm using pads, A) because I had a crash pad already and, B) the wally world pad I added was only 7$. I've been interested in underinsulation for awhile but as funds are tight want to make an informed decision. My only other question "for now," and this is pure blasphemy, if ya had to, umm, uhh,..... you know, got to ground, do you think you'd have to take them off, or would they help any?
    Hi Lowend:

I did not experience any cold spots with the Z-Liner system. The pocket pads fill the space available from LxW very well.

You are right about using the pockets. The thickness of the Z-Liner pads are just a little over 1.25" so there is definitely room to use the pockets with the Z-Liner pads installed. My only advice would be to avoid over stuffing the pockets to the point where the insulation in the pad is compressed thereby reducing its effectiveness. I have put a shirt, jacket, and pants into various pockets with the Z-Liner pads installed and it was all good.

Also confirming your other thought... My experience has been that once the Z-Liner system is installed, it is most convenient to just leave it in place and pack it up with the hammock in the larger stuff sack that Clark provides. I have been on two trips with the system installed and it is working well.

I agree with Tina Louise; that "going to ground" with the Z-Liner remaining in place would serve no purpose as ground insulation. The Climashield insulation in the Z-Liner pads is much like Thinsulate or other synthetic fiber material. As such, it would not retain loft or provide any insulation value if you tried to leave it in place while setting up on the ground. I would probably remove the pads if I went to ground, just to keep them in good shape. I am just guessing. But, laying with the Climashield between you and the ground is not what the pads were designed to do and would probably not add much to the life of the product.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB quilt
    Suspension
    rings & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Hi Lowend:

"I did not experience any cold spots with the Z-Liner system. The pocket pads fill the space available from LxW very well.

You are right about using the pockets. The thickness of the Z-Liner pads are just a little over 1.25" so there is definitely room to use the pockets with the Z-Liner pads installed. My only advice would be to avoid over stuffing the pockets to the point where the insulation in the pad is compressed thereby reducing its effectiveness. I have put a shirt, jacket, and pants into various pockets with the Z-Liner pads installed and it was all good. "

makes complete sense.

I agree with Tina Louise; that "going to ground" with the Z-Liner remaining in place would serve no purpose as ground insulation. The Climashield insulation in the Z-Liner pads is much like Thinsulate or other synthetic fiber material. As such, it would not retain loft or provide any insulation value if you tried to leave it in place while setting up on the ground. I would probably remove the pads if I went to ground, just to keep them in good shape. I am just guessing. But, laying with the Climashield between you and the ground is not what the pads were designed to do and would probably not add much to the life of the product.
    I hadn't even thought of the fact that it might reduce the lifespan of the insulation, but I understand that too, I suppose a pad would be best there. At this point this would be the only downside, you can't use this system as a top quilt if you needed to go to ground. Other than that it seems like quite the setup, I'm not totally sold on it but it seems like a great system nonetheless.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast